THE PORCHLIGHT VOLUME #701 IS CLOSED

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lydia1, Apr 23, 2014.

1. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Hi guys! I was just rambling away on the last porch, and realized we had reached over 30 posts. So, I'll get this one going then come back and check on everyone after my nap :)
  2. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Have a good nap Julie !!!! Hope your tummy is better soon. Better watch out for you with the new lawn mower. Gad you are getting some nice rain.

DH didn't sleep much last night. Most of his problem wasn't being able to breathe through his nostrils at all, in between also coughing a fair amount. Got message from the doc this a.m. that according to the x ray one lung had pneumonia in on lobe. Jut to continue the same drugs.

Sun- Sorry about your DH but glad he gets a break this week fro Chemo.

Mikie Sorry aboutour accident.

Love
    Granni
  3. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Granni, good thing you got your hubby to the doc and on meds. Den hasn't been sleeping well, either...mostly from head congestion. The other night (when I got home from Amy's) I kept getting after him because I was just about asleep, but he would wake me up with his snoring. He said, "No, you're the one who is snoring!" So, I guess I was waking myself up, just as I was falling asleep, lol!

I got a second wind and decided to stay up after all...will actually be better for going to bed at a decent time tonight. Den is home from work and taking a power snooze...he can rest for 20-30 minutes and get up refreshed and recharged. I need a couple hours if I lie down, so sometimes better if I just skip...

Have some organic long grain brown rice in the rice cooker, and some chicken breasts boiling on the stove. Will throw together some chicken-rice soup for supper...will taste good on this chilly, rainy day :) Will add some shredded carrots, a can or two of black beans, and whatever spices sound good. I'm out of celery :( but will make do, I guess.

This is my quiet time while Den naps, lol! Hope everyone is doing okay.
  4. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Rock, I am moving your post over here...

Hi Kids

Just got back from the Armenian market. It has a wide variety of breads, sausage, caviar,
    cheese, yogurt and liquor. Some of the liquors are over a thousand bucks a bottle. I
    wonder how many they sell.

Julie, your house was built in 1848! Wow! Has it been added to over the years? 1848 is
    the year Iowa became a state. It's also the year of one of our country's most important
    events. Anybody know? Take your time. I don't want to rush you. You might win a
    a gold medal if you can figure it out.

Jam, I've had State Farm insurance for over 40 years, but I can never talk to my agent.
    I suspect he died decades ago, and the employees are just pretending he's still there so
    they can collect his commissions. Good plot for a Hitchcock movie, huh?

Sunflower, a 50 year old tub is pretty old alright. On the other hand, the baths at
    Caracalla are almost 2,000 years old. Remember the 3 Tenors? They gave their
    first concert there. Caracalla, BTW, was the name of the Roman Emperor at the
    time the place was built. See our old friend Wikipedia for more info.

I hope the MJ will help your hubby. I had friends who used it in the 70s. I tried it. Never
    did anything for me. But there are lots of articles on net about its medicinal benefits.

Mikie, another owie! Tough luck. I hope the effects are minimal and brief. As for colors,
    yes, why move into a place with a color scheme and then demand a change. Did I
    previously post about the brazen orange at the storage site. All the trim and signs
    and individual storage doors are orange. I hate going there. The staff is impossible,
    and the color orange sends out rays that provoke anger in the brain. At least that's
    my theory. Hope your various ailments all vanish pronto.

I think today will be our last visit to the storage place. Been over a decade.

Hugs
    Rock
  5. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Whoops, it looks like Rock and maybe someone else posted on the last thread (volume) by accident No matter, but I hope others have read it. I was trying to find my last post and it was on this volume not the other one :)!!

Everyone, please check on the last volume to read all the last posts especially from Rock.

Not to much new here really. Hope MIKIE is feeling OK after her fight wit the ironing board :)!! Hpe yu don't get a black eye or worse.

Julie - I get plenty of black and blues and have no idea of where they came from either. Hope your tummy feel better and hope you don't wear down after all the little things you need to do and places to go with grandpa, etc.

Sun - Hope your DH will get to feeling better before the next chemo. Not a good way to get out of chemo though.

Spring Water - I hope you are doing OK and am coming well wit everything. Got any leftover NRG???

Need to go and take a shower or maybe a bath since I have more aches and pains than usual today. It isn't good getting up and down in my lower rt.hip area.

Thinking of all my dear Porchies.

Thanks JULIE for moving Rocks post over here. I need to learn how to do that :)!!

Love to awl,
    Granni
  6. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

I'll post on here now, so this volume will be at the top...

Yep, Rock, our farm is actually the oldest homestead in the state of Iowa...but Den's ancestors were here before they started keeping records of such. The people who built it (Den's great-grandparents) lived in one room for a long time...there was a smokehouse right outside one of the doors. When they added on (what is now the kitchen) they had to move the smokehouse farther away. It has actually been added onto so many times, the carpenter we had look at it said there really isn't any way to go anymore.

Hope you will be able to be done with the storage area now...doesn't sound like a very pleasant place to go.
  7. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Kids

Just got back from the Armenian market. It has a wide variety of breads, sausage, caviar,
    cheese, yogurt and liquor. Some of the liquors are over a thousand bucks a bottle. I
    wonder how many they sell.

Julie, your house was built in 1848! Wow! Has it been added to over the years? 1848 is
    the year Iowa became a state. It's also the year of one of our country's most important
    events. Anybody know? Take your time. I don't want to rush you. You might win a
    a gold medal if you can figure it out. Chicken rice soups sounds good. Gordon
    made meatball soup the other day. Last night I gave the stray cat some. Gobbled
    it up. I guess it was purrfect.

Jam, I've had State Farm insurance for over 40 years, but I can never talk to my agent.
    I suspect he died decades ago, and the employees are just pretending he's still there so
    they can collect his commissions. Good plot for a Hitchcock movie, huh?

Sunflower, a 50 year old tub is pretty old alright. On the other hand, the baths at
    Caracalla are almost 2,000 years old. Remember the 3 Tenors? They gave their
    first concert there. Caracalla, BTW, was the name of the Roman Emperor at the
    time the place was built. See our old friend Wikipedia for more info.

I hope the MJ will help your hubby. I had friends who used it in the 70s. I tried it. Never
    did anything for me. But there are lots of articles on net about its medicinal benefits.

Mikie, another owie! Tough luck. I hope the effects are minimal and brief. As for colors,
    yes, why move into a place with a color scheme and then demand a change. Did I
    previously post about the brazen orange at the storage site. All the trim and signs
    and individual storage doors are orange. I hate going there. The staff is impossible,
    and the color orange sends out rays that provoke anger in the brain. At least that's
    my theory. Hope your various ailments all vanish pronto.

I think today will be our last visit to the storage place. Been over a decade. I'll
    be glad to get rid of that place.

Hugs
    Rock

Well
  8. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Kids

Thanks for moving my post, Julie. I'm afraid some of us (meaning me) are just not
    simpatico with computers. I saw your bright red notice that you were starting a new
    thread. My idea was to type my post on the old thread so I would be able to read
    the previous posts and respond; all on the same page. Then I would copy
    and paste on the new thread; then go back and erase the post from the prior thread.
    But it didn't work out so well.

In addition to my post appearing above because you kindly moved it, it also appeared
    in a faint, ghostly grey type at the bottom of the thread. When I tried to erase it, the
    darn thing posted all by itself. Lackaday! I remember taking my son to some movie
    where Tim Allen got frustrated and put his foot through the monitor. Wait! I think
    it was his boss rather than the computer he was annoyed with. Well, pretty much
    the same thing. Either the boss or the computer is pushing you around.

Moving on to more cheerful topics, how about we discuss mysterious bruises. One
    of the fellows I played bridge with some years back had a bruise on a toe. Eventually
    he went to the doctor. Asked what happened he said, "Oh, I stubbed my toe."

The blood tests showed he had gout. He just said he stubbed his toe because he figured
    that must have been what happened. I said, "You realize, of course, that patients who
    substitute a guess for an accurate history just confuse the situation. He said, "Shut
    up and deal." Ha Ha!

Mikie, following up on Granni's comment on your fight with the ironing board, is the
    bout over or will it be 2 falls outta 3? Serially, I hope you are feeling much better.

In the "Yuck from the kitchen department" I just tried some frozen potatoes that
    Gordon bought at Trader Joe's. They are cut up and sprinkled with garlic and
    parmesan cheese, and they are horrible. He bought them for me which was very
    thoughtful, but I'm tossing them.

OK, time for bath, bed and beyond. Used to handle claims for them. Well, in 40
    years in the accident business I handled claims for almost every big company
    in the country. And some that were in other countries like. When I was in law
    school I clerked for a law firm that had many file cabinets full of Yamaha files.
    We were located in L.A.'s Little Tokyo. I never learned to use chopsticks, but
    I did learn to say "Thank you" in Japanese: arigato. Somewhat similar to
    cat in Italian: gatto. A purrfect note on which to end this post.

Hugs to our absent friends
    Rock
  9. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Oh Rock...I hope you know that we love you, no matter where or how often you post :) I'm sure I speak for many in saying we are just glad to see you on here. Even if you end up with 15 different copies of the same thing...I'll bet Mikie can fix it...right, Mikie? So, don't worry about it at all...just keep checking in, Ok?

Sorry you didn't care for the special potatoes...I'm not sure I would have liked them, either. I am trying to eat a little more bland diet, since I still have some stomach cramps...they just pop up, out of the blue.

I sure hope I haven't passed anything on to the rest of the family. I talked to one of my dad's nurses last evening and she said this last bout of flu at the care center (where I think I may have picked up this bug) affected about 75% of the staff, but the residents got along fairly well with it. Many still got sick, but seemed to recover quickly. My dad still hadn't gotten it, so I hope it passes on by.

I went to bed earlier, but Den and I are both having trouble falling asleep tonight. He has some big projects at work coming up, so his mind won't shut off. I don't know what my problem is, but I am going to give it a shot again.

Take care, everyone!

10. springwater

springwater Member

Rock - lol! at your computer's shenannigans worse thing is, you cant even bawl an
    errant computer out...hmm..something to chew on for someone thinking of acquiring
    a robotic cook/waiter..you cant yell at it, if it pours the ladel of soup over you instead
    of the bowl. funny, i just saw in japan or somewhere a restaurant where robots cooked
    up meals and brought them to the customer and customers said it tasted as good as
    human cooked food. hahaha

who exactly got the gold in the gold rush of 1848?

Julie - wow, how interesting to hv a house with that much history! it must be so lived
    in. i still hv fond memories of our house in india esp when i was little..it hadnt changed
    much when i visited, but having lived in a big city with new buildings, the town seemed
    a bit run down, several fires occurred and they had not been able to totally rebuild, but
    the charm was still there, esp once you got of of town.

ive been bingeing on junk lately, ice creams and chips, packet readymade noodles with
    msg...and lotsa tea..got to rein myself in...been feeling crabby, maybe thats why

hope the stomach bug leaves you soon

mikie - ive not been reading any new novels for same reason as you, boredom. i have,
    however, revisited Borrowers, for the feel good factor. they are 'happy' books, dont
    hv ordinary folks trials n tribulations, wresting with emotions etc. theyre just trying
    to keep body and soul together making houses out of castaway boots, and fashioning
    cups from acorn shells

hope you soon regain the spark, lots of us coming down with sniggles n bugs etc

hv you walloped someone on the face lots of times in one of your past lives? strange
    you are getting bruised in the same spot on different occasions?!! i think i must hv
    pushed people and made them fall a lot, ive fallen down several times in last three
    years, luckily never been hurt, tho its been embarassing, sev weeks ago i tried to
    get up and clean our shrine which is high, had to put a stool on top of a chair and
    hoist myself up further, a wooden carving i was trying to clean gave and i came
    crashing down from that height. luckily landed on my shoulder and had a sore one
    for couple of hours, then it got better, im guessing there was just not enough weight
    on me for serious damage. all the same, tk u God, and my guardian angel.

sun - sorry to hear of your dhs struggle with the chemo and consequently your
    own stress..

however, nice to see you are busying yourself and getting house stuff done. its
    so important one keeps ones self healthy and on the go at such times.

jam - your daughter and grands are so lucky to hv got to go to hawaii...so
    happy your SIL provided pretty nicely for them. what a load off your mind,
    i guess for any parent

ive not ever lived in a snowy winter area, but i loved your northeast new england
    in may...i guess i might struggle with the freezing winter temps tho.

its been so hot, im too lazy even to go out to get some icecream...wish i was
    filthy rich and my family circumstances would allow me to live in different places
    during summer and winter. i hate it when it gets to hot to out during mid day/
    afternoon when im free.

recently we lost 13 sherpa guides to an avalanche...biggest loss of life in a single
    accident todate...Discovery Channel who had some event lined up cancelled to
    show solidarity with the families of lost ones...

our white roses are in full bloom, good thing about them is you just water from
    time to time and they take care of themselves..just my kind of plants in my present
    situation, i wish my body would be just as accomodating

god bless
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  11. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Hugs to you all. Can't stay right now. Need to go help DH do a little weeding. Guess he is feeling better. Glad to see ROCK, JULIE, and SPRING so far. My hips area is already hurting ):!!

Love you awl,
    Granni
  12. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Good morning, everyone! I finally went to the little "guest room" to sleep last night. Den and I were keeping each other awake, lol...woke up very early when a thunderstorm rolled through, but must have fallen right back to sleep. Heard him leave for work, but still couldn't get awake enough to get up.

Finally up around 9:00, but feel like I could go right back to bed...

Springwater, robot cooks? Do they wash the dishes too??? That would be my kind of help, lol! Hope you can get back in the "good eating" mode...I know you try to be careful, usually...I do that sometimes; seems like I have to just get it out of my system once, then I'm okay.

Granni, oh goodness...take it easy out there. Are you covered from head to toe so you don't get a rash from anything?

I think I will be moving pretty slowly today...keep having stomach cramps, probably from trying to eat or do too much, too soon. Take care, everyone.
  13. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Julie: thats good you at least have a guest room where you can sleep. I hope this "bug" doesn't get passed around to other family......sharing is good BUT not this.

Spring: I think we all succumb to binge eating of wrong foods. A bad fall for you but luckily you "shrugged it off". I enjoy watching programs about the treacherous hikes up the mountain. So very sorry for the loss of all those lives recently.

Is it normally so hot at this time of the year. Do you have seasons where you live......where cold weather comes?

Granni did I read correctly that your DH has pneumonia?

Rock: I have to thank you for the recommendation of James Patterson's "Quickie". OMG......every time I thought I had it figured out then something else awful/exciting would happen I need to get more of his books on CD from the library. Listening to an exciting book takes me away from the confusion of everything going on here.

Yesterday was VERY stressful. The dishwasher arrived, a pipe leaked a ton of water all over the floor, but it's in BUT the side leaks, so a repairman is coming this morning and if need be, a new washer will be requested. All this between the house being rocked for hours as demolition was going on.
  14. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hello, Kids

I wonder where Mikie is. I hope she's not abed with her blow to the head. Usually she posts
    her cheerful W & P posts around 4 AM my time.

Julie, thanks for the kind words. I would love to tour your house. Remember that program
    "America's Castles"? It was on in the 90s. Viewers got to see the inside of lavish homes owned by people like the Vanderbilts. I'd rather tour an old house than go to a museum.

Sorry your hip is giving you trouble, Granni. You been riding your skateboard too much? That reminds me. Zippy and I used to see a guy on a skateboard in our neighborhood. It was powdered by his dog. The dog pulled him. They went at a pretty good clip too. Gosh, I haven't seen them for a couple years.

Springwater, a kitchen run by robots sounds potentially lethal to me. What if it got confusiated and sliced leg of customer instead of leg of lamb? Remember HAL, the wayward robot in the movie "Space Odyssey"? BTW, I read HAL got his name from IBM. The letters are right next to each other.

Congratulations on identifying 1848 as the year of the Gold Rush. Lottsa folks went west
    because of the gold rush and because of the idea expressed by New York editor Horace
    Greeley who wrote "Go West, young man, and grow up with the country".

Sunflower, Your reaction to "Quickie" was the same as mine. However, I just gave up on
    another of his books a couple days ago. It was co-written with a different author. Have
    been reading show biz books this past week. Many of the same stars, writers, directors show
    up in 2 or 3 of them.

Sorry to hear about the flood at your house. Reminds me of an obscure opera called "Il
    Diluvio Universale"; the universal flood. Noe aka Noah is sung by a bass. All authority
    figures like kings, priests, and patriarchs are sung by a bass in Italian opera. Best wishes
    for a speedy recovery of your laundry area.

Regards to Mikie, Jam, Barry, Diane, et. al. Drop by when you feel up to it.

Rock
  15. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Hi again everydobby,

Julie - Yes, I was all covered up so s to hopefully NOT catch anything poisonous. It beats me how I can pick up those crazy rashes while just looking at those crazy plants :)!! I can spot some of them but still not sure about others. I also do not need to keep taking steroids but sure was glad to have them when I got those awful rashes and they do not want to go away and keep spreading.

Wow, there sure is a lot of history I your old home. That sounds like when we went to the Cz. Rep. years ago and was brought to the home where my mom , sister , her mom and probably grandmother lived and you could see where they had built on to the old part, etc. etc. Very interesting.

I hope that your tummy get better soon. Yes, there are so many kinds of bugs out there, according to the doc the other day, intestinal, URI, etc. Hope your problem doesn't spread around to the family.

DH is doing pretty well, actually he is not one to sit still too long so I have had to try and keep him from going to exercise or something. We worked outside for maybe 3/4 or an hr. if that and then went quickly to the store. He is resting now watching TV.

Sun- Yes, DH has a slight or mild case of lobar pneumonia but it looks like I caught it before it got to bad. He is on antibiotics, Mucinex DM and decongestant. He is doing well but he needs to remember to take I easy so he doesn't have a relapse or get worse.

OMG Sun, that surely sounds like a mess going o in your house. Hope your DH is feeling better so as to deal wit this also without to much crisis. Hope the rest of the renovations goes well with no more flooding. Geez girl, no more stress please for you both !

Everyone please pray that all goes well for our dear son who is traveling tonight for 3 weeks to Kuala Lumpur for work. Glad he is going on that flight and not me. The first leg of the flight is 14 hours and the second is about 7 hours with just enough time in between probably to change planes, terminals, etc GROAN !! !

I'm so achy before I even get on a plane :)!!!

Gee, what happened to the sentence I wrote before saying hi to all not mentioned. This computer is getting possessed. Fear not ROCK - I have the same problem. Have to write it over again. Geez !!

Hugz all around to also those not mentioned - Spring Water, Mikie, Diane, Jole, Joan, Jam, Windy Dar and all lurkers too.

Love you all,
    Granni :)
  16. lydia1

lydia1 Well-Known Member

Hi everyone...I tried to rest, but just kept thinking of all the "stuff" I don't have done...time is ticking away and that baby will be here before we know it (August). Plus all my family on Father's Day. Besides the fact that I am just tired of living in a mess, lol!

Have been up for a little while; the cramps come and go, whether I am up or not. My tummy seems to do better if I keep a little something in it...like toast, etc. And Lindsey brought me some enzymes and deactivated charcoal to take...I can't tell if they help or not, but not making it worse anyway.

She seems to be feeling pretty good this week...good to have David home, although he will be gone next Thurs-Sun for more Guard drill. Anyway, she is working on getting things a little more organized at their house...and trying to stay on top of every day things.

They still have to get the kids' room painted, and new windows put in before they can move them back into their own room. And put down new flooring...there was mold under the carpet, and on the windowsills. We did all that back in the 80's...so I guess not a surprise that it is all needing to be done again...for health reasons and because tastes in decor have changed, lol!

Sun, leaks in the kitchen are such a pain! I hope everything gets straightened out soon.

Granni, keeping your son in prayer. I made the flight to and from Germany alone, when Den was stationed there in the army. We were there a little over a year. Seems like it was about a 10-12 hour flight, but it might have just felt that way.

Rock, I am wondering about Mikie too...I look forward to seeing her posts first thing in the morning.

Guess I will keep plugging along...I need to be able to take Den's dad to the doctor tomorrow, so hope I am doing better. I am afraid his yard will need mowed, but I'll have to tell him I'm just not up to that. Maybe he can get his neighbor lady who filled in a few times last year.

I know he shouldn't be out in this chilly, damp weather...he has enough lung problems.
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  17. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Julie - I know what you mean about trying to et and just thinking about all the stuff that needs to be done. So sorry to hear also about how sil is taking over grandpa's home and what she is doing or should I say not doing. A very sad situation but little you can do except worry and do what you have been doing. You certainly are dong more than your share of work at his place. I is also a shame about the boyfriend who sounds just like user and probably a loser. Thinking of that situation is certainly not good for your tummy situation.

Glad the kids are getting some painting and stuff done before the new baby comes but it must be hard with David's job and being gone a lot is certainly not easy to find the time to get those type of things done. Hope that everything they need to get done gets DONE before the new little one comes along. The time flies by so quickly. No wonder you can't sleep with all the stuff you need to do and Lindsay's family too.

Mkie - Hope you are doing OK. I have seen some of your W and P's but haven't read them all :)!!

Hugz to everydobby,
    Granni
  18. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Granni, keeping your son up in prayer for a safe journey And that was a good thing the pneumonia was caught in time.

Julie: cat litter dumped close by!!!! UGH. Perhaps she needs a large bucket where she can put the bags of it an then her boyfriend can take care of it. I have 2 cats and they make a big enough mess. I was going to suggest a goat to tether in the yard on a long rope to eat all the grass. I know she had been thinking of a llama but with a goat they could get milk AND a lawnmower. There is an area on the way to my DDs home.....every 3 mos. or so about 100 goats are moved there to eat all the weeds. There is a company around our area that rents the goats out to keep the weeds down and as fire protection.

I always wanted an old house. Dreamed of living in an old 2 story house full of charm and memories. It never happened, but at this point in my life I'm happy we have a one story house. It's a "midcentury modern", and when we bought it there was a lot of Asian influence throughout. I worked hard to make it our own, getting rid of the Asian, and putting in my own touches. So what am I doing now????? Having ceramic tile that looks like bamboo planking put in two bathrooms.

The dishwasher repair man came this morning but my handyman plumber had to turn off the water so he could work on the pipes so now the repairman will have to come back tomorrow. By 11 a.m. all was more or less quiet with only two tile guys working so I had to run a large list of errands. Everything take time and effort but I know it's going to look really good and raise the value of the house, barring an earthquake! Shudder to think of that.

Tomorrow I have to pick up my DGD at kindergarten......about 30 min. away and keep her at our house til early evening. I just hope I can get some good sleep tonight as she likes to always be active.......that usually means she wants to paint, or bake cookies, or whatever. But I don't do this too often so I'm happy to help out when I'm able.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  19. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

OMG! I've been gone two days and we finished one Porch and started another. Don't know whether or not I can keep up with everyone at this point but will try.

Granni, sorry to hear DH has pneumonia but glad the ABX he is on is the right one to heal him. Zebra hard hat? Sounds very fetching to me.

Sunflower Girl, I'm so glad DH will be able to get his MJ cookies. I'll bet they will be a big help to him. Hope your tile job turns out well.

Julie, glad you are feeling a wee bit better. Mmmmm, those strawberries will be soooooo good. The price of berries has gone up a bunch here. I try to eat them cause they are supposed to be good for us. Barb's kids live in a farm house outside of Boston which is older than 100 yrs. and they have redone it and added on. It's a lot of work but oh, to live in a piece of history...

Rock, OMG! Orange? AACK! :eek: I agree that color can set the whole mood and tone of one's life. One of the bldgs. across the pond (no, not Britain--literally across the pond behind our bldg.) is going to paint their doors red. First, in the FL sun, red fades to an unattractive pink and second, when they leave their doors open in nice weather, the red becomes part of their interior d├ęcor. For some people, that will work; for others, not so much. Their doors are on the ends of their bldg. so don't think it will impact us much as they are on the next street over. Still, I always try to think about the big picture--the whole hood.

Springwater, white roses? Oh, how lovely. I read about the Sherpas. I'm so sorry. In CO, we had peaks which were 14,000 ft. above sea level. Some people felt compelled to climb them all. Many have died by lightening because that's above the treeline and there is nothing between a human and a lightening bolt. Others die of high altitude sickness because they aren't prepared physically to climb. I know Everest makes CO's 14 K peaks look like ant hills but wherever there are mtns., there will be accidents.

Jam, it's funny because State Farm is the most reasonable car ins. in FL. My ins. was cut almost in half when I switched to them for the same coverage. Even at age 90, my mom's ins. with them was reasonable. We have no-fault ins. laws here and it makes ins. rates high.

Yesterday, I woke early but fell back asleep on the sofa. Barb woke me because she was concerned. I went out to the Balcony to sit with her before her doc appt., and I couldn't tolerate the light. Had to put on my shades. After she left, I closed my blinds (a signal that I want to be left alone) and slept off and on all day. I had a splitting headache on the side which was KO's by the ironing board. Evidently, the jab to one side of my face caused a kind of whiplash and my neck and shoulders were stiff and in pain. I slept it off with the help of some Tylenol. I think this head injury was the worst but the symptoms didn't last as long.

Got up today feeling great! It's amazing what a day's rest will do. I do think the three head injuries in less than a year, in the exact same spot, have messed with my memory. I just seem scattered. I think the Brits call it, "being at sixes and sevens." My ex used to call it, "not knowing whether to crap or wind one's watch." Oh, what a charmer. How did I ever leave him? ;)

Anyway, Barb and I went to Home Depot for a gourmet lunch of Italian sausage sandwiches off the roach coach. Home Depot won't let the guy who runs it keep a recycle bin outside, so I took three extra bags with me when I left and scrounged through his trash for recyclables. I came home, combined them with mine and took them to the recycle center. I may write to Home Depot; I'm a good customer there and they are polluting. Barb said, "People must be saying, 'Look at that poor woman having to dig through the trash.'" Our whole day was a laugh a minute. It's a hellova lot easier to laugh when one is rested and feeling well.

We had a blessed day. The woman who took Tweety and Sylvester saw me in the yard and tried to break the ice of having treated me so rudely and not wanting to even speak to Barb. She seemed sooooo relieved that I was so happy to talk to her. She told me to tell Barb, "Hi." When Barb and I left to go to HD, Barb went over to the pool and talked to her. This woman now realized that the rumor mill got her upset and that she wants to be friends with us. What a relief! :) I think we will all be going to the Legion to celebrate. I hate fighting and stress between friends and neighbors.

One of my neighbors, who just lost his son to cancer, came over for a goodbye hug. Another, who lost her grandson in a motorcycle accident this year, came by for her goodbye hug too. Then, a third neighbor and friend came by with her husband, who had a stroke this year, and asked me to put a prayer birdhouse back up. So tomorrow, Barb and I will be going out to Hobby Lobby for another prayer birdhouse. The squirrels had eaten the side off the old one. When we put a prayer in the old one, her husband got better and now, he's relapsing. I told all these neighbors, including Tweety's and Sylvester's new guardian, that my Mom always had a direct line to God and now that she's in Heaven, I figure all she has to do is walk next door. I ask her to pray for all the people and animals in our hood. She was an amazing woman of faith, not only religious but spiritually as well.

Simon has caught on that I'm back to being able to sleep til 5:00 some mornings so he is checking at various intervals and, as a consequence, is getting breakfast every day. He is much more at ease with me now. He likes one neighbor's dog (this is a dog who loves cats) and the dog's guardian will stop near Simon when she sees him and he will sit and listen to her talk to him. The dog doesn't try to approach him but seems to calm him. This neighbor came by earlier this morning and we got to talk to her and pet her little rescue dog, the one which loves cats but hates bicycles. I love to pet him; he's such a sweetheart.

Finally, Barb and I sat out and had drinks in the "Lounge" part of the Balcony in the shade of the palm and cashia trees. Barb put out a feeler to Mrs. Grumpy to come up and join us. She did but was very quiet. I think she's been trying to rile and bait Barb over this whole door painting thing and was stunned that we were having such a good time and her ploy didn't work. She was also stunned that we had brokered peace with Tweety's and Sylvester's guardian. Nothing makes troublemakers madder than not being able to make trouble. We prefer peace.

So, Dear Friends, all in all, it was a grand day for me. If y'all missed my "W&P" posts, I've written a doozy here. If I missed anybody or missed commenting on anybody's post, I'm so sorry. You can hold it against a woman with a head injury. That's my story and I'm sticking with it :D.

I love you all and pray you days are as good as mine was today.

Love, Mikie
  20. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Mikie

So glad to read your cheerful post and know that you are feeling better. Maybe you should look
    into finding a coupon that will give you a discount on a football helmet. Ha Ha!

Gordon made sugar cookies today. I believe he was inspired by the Joanne Fluke book
    "The Sugar Cookie Mystery". Most of her titles include some sort of baked goods. At
    the moment he's fixing me an omelet. It would be egg foo young, but he's out of
    the vital ingreediment: bean sprouts.

Rock

Granni, just looked at the news. Tornadoes expected in your area this weekend. Too
    bad real tornadoes aren't as benign as the one in the Wizard of Oz. Hope you're OK.