The Porchlights for #575 are now ON !!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Granniluvsu, May 11, 2012.

1. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Bringing some snacks for all. Hope no one gets their head or fingers caught in the door. I know it is Mothers Day weekend and people are busy but hope some of you can stop in for a bit to chat.

Julie - you are wearing me out. Glad all went well and that the graduation went great and is overwith for Amy. Our granddaughter is graduation from H.S. this year and is off to college. Gee, that was a fast 18 years ! We will go to her graduation the end of this month. Our grandson is 19 from N.,C. We won;t make that one but am sending him some stuff. He has some LD's so most likely will not go to college but perhaps a tech school or will find a job.

Tomorrow I will fix the pork loin for Sunday and DS and LIL will come as well as daughter and two gs's for lunch. So far I have gotten two lovely bouquets of flowers, very pretty. DH will take me out to dinner tomorrow after I prep for Sunday. They will come right after we get home from church - - - - rush, rush !

Hope some of you can drop in for a bit this weekend. Hope DS cam fix this computer so it can be normal again.

Love to everydobby,

Everyone have a wonderful weekend and hope to see some of you here
  2. springwater

springwater Active Member

Great to hear, Julie, that you attended the graduation.

Granni - hope you hv a nice day with all the family.

Georgia - how is the training for volunteer work going?

i hv a really scratchy throat and its irritating. Must hv caught
    a bug when going out on an errand. so much debris everywhere.
    There have been strikes for two days going which hav closeddown
    the shops, workplaces.

luckily i was able to go down town for some items I need. son
    took me and i was able to find a cab comingback. it was 9pm!
    also got in my acupuncture which i missed three days straight.

i will be going out of town with the dh for a few days. so probably wont
    be able to make it to the porch for some time. but will be thinking of
    you all.

It rained again so we had more elec than usual. always a bonus.

Take care

God Bless

3. Granniluvsu

Spring Water - Have a great trip and I hope you throat getts better and not worse. Usually when thta starts I need to watch that I don't start with the coughing and laryngitis, bronchities, etc.<
    Cooking the [pork loin for tomorrow so that will be done and at least start the zucchini. Thank goodness DIL is bringing most of the other stuff. I will also fix corn.

Julie -You stay well and hope all stays well for Lindsay this weekend. Don't want any early babies coming. Hi to Leah, Joan, Carla, Jole, Rock, Gail, Diane, and everydobby else I can't remember.

Everyone hope you all can enjoy a lovely Motghers Day if your mom is still around. Still miss mine !! However some kids coming over tomorrow.

Hugs to everyone !

[This Message was Edited on 05/12/2012]
  4. Granniluvsu

I am waiting to go to church. Have been trying to get ready for some of the kids and grandkids to come late this morning, after we get back form church. Just set the table. It won't be a large crowd - or 8.

Yes, Julie I still MISS my mom too.

DH says it is time to leave. TTYA Later, maybe tomorrow.

[This Message was Edited on 05/13/2012]
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Well, it's kinda hard to post when the computer or my mind is out to
    lunch so frequently. Last week I read posts and made notes and
    then the computer crashed, and then I couldn't find the notes so that little
    project fell through.

Two days ago I wrote a limerick. Can't find it now. Can't even
    remember what the subject was, except it was in response to
    somebody's post. Anydobby have any ideas? SOL

As is generally the case, lottsa stuff blooming here. Gordon has
    cactus in bloom with huge red flowers. His one gladiola is in
    bloom, also red. And the bed of pale yellow iris is blooming.

The jacaranda trees are a mass of lavender. And the jasmine shrubs
    are wafting their perfume on Carroll Street. Oh yeah, there was
    filming last week. Whole buncha model Ts parked along the curb.

Nice to hear you got some bouquets, Granni. Here is a verbal
    bouquet. I think you are just wonderful, and should have a star on
    the Walk of Fame for Nice People.

Gordon and I were at Ralph's market Saturday. The bouquets were
    beautiful and exactly twice the regular price. This along with big
    signs they put up at the doors last week that say: Ralph's for real
    low prices. Not only is the sign not accurate, the grammar is

Springwater, I saw something in the news the other day. Made a note
    but it's like most things at this ranch: unlocatable. Anyhoo it
    was about nuns in Nepal that study Kung Fu. Hi-Ya!! Hope your
    scratchy throat is better. Chocolate milk cures mine.

Julie, glad the graduation ceremony went well. When my son was
    graduated from Cal State Sonoma, there weren't enough chairs
    for the guests. The space was as big as all outdoors. In fact,
    it was outdoors.

We ended up collecting chairs from a nearby building, but couldn't
    see any of the proceedings. Of course it was largely tedious afternoon
    of graduates walking across the stage, but still. It shook my faith
    in CA's educational system.

With unsteady legs and things outta focus, you're lucky you didn't fall
    and bang something. You need more rest; and I know you try. Just
    think. Our eyes have auto focus. I'm told some cameras do too now.
    Used to be thought impossible like a horseless carriage.

Joan, sending greeting cards with messages reminds me of my mother.
    Every year at Christmas she complained about people who didn't write
    notes on their cards. But she still insisted on writing to them. Probably
    the reason I used to be a perfectionist and a workaholic. (Now that I
    no longer work, I'm in recovery.)

Your pal Maggie sounds like a better friend than those folks you have
    coffee with. A therapist told me 30 some years ago, get the toxic people
    outta your life. I did, and it has made life much easier.

Way back in the 1950s when I was a teenage cave guide, between
    tours I used to put bumper stickers on tourists' cars. Both the
    stickers, the messages and the bumpers have changed. Anyhoo,
    here are a few I discovered recently that I thought had trenchant
    or perhaps poetic message for personkind.

"I am not a complete idiot! Some parts are missing."

"Well-behaved women rarely make history."

And my favorite: "I hate bumper stickers!"

6. Granniluvsu

Just wanted to peak in here and say hi before I have to leave to go sing - at some meeting for Sr.'s I think. They have also changed their meeting place, at a really new building. It will be intersting to see it as that is also where we have to go vote unless we go early.

Rock - So glad to see you and to hear that things were going pretty well for you. Sounds like you had a busy weekend with Gordon. Some of those flowers you were talking about sounded so beautiful.

Speaking of flowers, I got two bouquets of flower, one from daughter in N.C. and another from Son and dil. They are beautiful. One of them came looking like they wee eady for the trash but when I put them in water in their special solution they perked right up. The really looked gorgeous yesterday when they came. One ws one kid of lily I think, much smaller in different colors. Didn' t know their names.

Julie - Try to rest sweetie. I know it is hard when you have to help with Lorranine, etc. When is her actual due date? Is she about 28 weeks now ??Getting better !!

I had better go and finish getting dressed and ready to go. Have to be at the leader's home for practice at 9:30 and then off to sing. Then only one more program till summer off.

We had a nice Mothers Day. It went smoothly although lots of stuff to clean up afterwards. Had nice chats with daughter and DIL. Son was busy working on the stupid computer. Thankfully he fixed it. Long story on that one too.

Please pray for my daughter Susan who has been trying to get a job after being laid off. She is to the point of desperation and will take almost anything. She had two more weeks in the rental home and then will go in an apartment if she gets a job. If not, I shudder to think. Thankfully school will be over for the boys anyway. What a mess !! Have to run for now.

Love to everydobby,
  7. Goatwoman

Goatwoman Member

Hope all the Mama's had a good day yesterday. Granni, that was sweet of your son and daughter to send you flowers. Speaking of flowers, my roses are all blooming well--one bush has a combination of red, yellow, and pink flowers. I got this bush several years ago.

Granni, I will remember your daughter in my prayers. One of the ladies in our knitting group--who is 58--was layed off last week. She will get unemployment, but the length of time you can get it has been cut in our state.

Am finally getting out of my flare. Managed to take Rottie for a walk, and washed the RAV. Now I'll be a slug for the rest of the day.

SW, I haven't heard back yet about the next training for the volunteer work. They have to do background checks on everyone, and that can take some time.

Only thing on the list for this week is to help clean fleeces on Thurday.

Hello to All--

8. Granniluvsu

Glad that you can now sort of take break for a bit without to much to do other than cleaning your fleaces. Is that hard and does it take much time> Do you hav emany fleeces to clean? Hope it is not a big project for you so you do not get back into a flare again !! Thanks you for your sweet thoughts about my daughter. I am also very happy that she finally signed up for unemployment. She really hated to apply for it but she needs it bad. I wish others were like that. Of course I also had to give her some more $. The money is flying out of my pocket really quick - also two grandchildren graduation from H.S. this year.

Our singing performance went pretty well considering there only 6 of us singing and one piano player who had to play a keyboard since they have no piano. Those keyboards are not the same. It was also hard to hear the leyboard pitch sometimes that she said was up as high as it would go. I think we were missing half of our singers, I was almost the only 1st soprano. The leader did some with me and helped fill in with the other parts as needed.

They also invited to also stay for lunch. It was yummy, chicken fried steak with white gravy, mashed potatoes, bread and mixed veggies. I went up and got the fruit salad and fould that they also had regular salad. However, by then I was very FULL !!! They seemed to really enjoy it and gave us lots of complementws even though I know it would have been better with more people there and a piano :)! Oh well, we do what we can !! Some ladies were away and two others have sick husbands. Luckily, we have one more program on the 24th and then off for the summer !!

Thinking of everydobby.

Julie - hope you and Lindsay are hanging in there and those babies too (literally).

Almost forgot that I have a periodontal appointment tomorrow for perio cleaning, etc. Hope it (my gums) are not to bad. Bye for now.

9. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Same old etc. Too exhaustionized to post. Gordon went to work, Zippy's
    lolling on his blankie in the backyard, and I'm just slouching around the

Tried to get some special kibble for Zippy yesterday. Most stores don't
    carry it. Couldn't get into the correct lane due to heavy traffic and the
    malicious driver next to me. Anyhoo I would up in Eagle Rock which is
    a suburb about ten miles from here. Gordon and I will go get the stuff
    this weekend when he can drive.

Here's a bumper sticker that reminds me of my old chum Bobby Zimmerman.
    "How many roads must a man travel down, before he will ask for directions?"

Bis spater

10. Goatwoman

Goatwoman Member

My stomach is growling after reading Diane's food thread. Going to get some fish out of the freezer and make a stir fry with veggies for dinner.

Rock, that has happened to me, too, when I drive in the City. Hope you'll be able to get that special food for Zippy.

There is another training next month for the volunteer work. I've just decided to work with the kitties. Rottie pulls me around every morning when we go for a walk, so will happily work with the kitties--all that purring, play, and comedy they do so well.

Granni, the fleeces belong to a friend who has a sheep ranch. I go out there about once a week with my girlfriends to clean them.

11. Granniluvsu

I had a dentist appointment this morning. DH had some errands to do that way so he left me off to get my cledaning, etc. while he did his stuff. TRhen he picked me up and we went home for awhile . We had a coupon for a free pizza buffet/. So we went and ate some pizza and I also had a salad. Then home to check on my washing and then off the singing practice today. There were few of us there today including the piano player was not there.

So, we left early. The piano player was stuck downtown waiting for a doctor appointment that was at least a couple hours late. Then she had to get her port flushed (she has Cancer of the breast reoccurrance and is on chemo). Poor kids she is going through so much but is so brave and sweet. Hope things get better for her.

Julie - No wonder you went to bed at 7:30 with all you are doing with and for Lindsay and family. Hope things continue going well for Lindsay and she hold those babiaes in for awhile longer. When is her due day? I know that they do not expect them to be on line like single births. They usually come at least a month early and maybe more. Every little bit helps for them t stay inside Mommy to get bigger and stronger each day. Hope Lorraine gets to feeling better soon too.

Georgia - How many girls get together to clean the fleeces. I'll be you have a grand old time. About how long does it take to clean a fleece, or does it depend on how big the fleece is? It sounds interesting. Yes, DIANE'S thread does sound interesting and yummy. She can come and cook for me any time :)!! I would think it would be fun to be around the kitties. Of course they are all very independent creatures :)!!

Teacher - Hope you are OK. Haven't heard from you in a LONG time.

Gail, Jole, Elaine, Joan - You all too !!

Rock - Glad to see you again Rock. Sorry you couldn't find Zippy's food but hope you can find it another day when Gordon can come with you.

Gotta run for now.

Love to you all,
  12. Granniluvsu

Hi Jam -I've been taking GSE for awhile now and are also on 200 mg 2x a day. My gums still have problems or should I say I am trying to keep them from getting bad or worse. I go every 4 months for cleaning, etc. I don;t think I can take any more than that.. I think CoQ10 is supposed to be good too and I've been taking that too for a long time. Any other ideas?

I think that I have heard about stuffing pork with prunes, etc.

Hope everyone has a great night . I have to leave now but wanted to mention this to Jam. May come back later. Have to send off some e-mails.

13. Granniluvsu

You wear me out girl :)!! Just listening to you and all you do but then you are also alot younger than I . There is so much on your plate, and when those babies are born I shudder to think. No one will be sleeping then :)! I know how it was when our daughter had twins 13 years ago (0h my- they are so big now). Didn't get to see them for Mothers Day as they all went to my daughter's good friend's son's H.S. graduation in another town in TX. Our daughter and family lived there years ago before her hubby lost his job a few years ago. We will go to their daughters H.S. graduatiaon in a couple of weeks. We probabaly won't go to the party as that will be the next day and someone elses home.

Well now they are back in the big city and making a good salary. Eldest Daughter lost her job since the bank merged with another one in Dallas and they weren't going to move there. Not sure they would have let others go from this bacnk or not. They may have already had their people. However, they wouldn't have moved back there again anyway. However, when she wants to go back to work she probably won't have a problem, not like our middle daughter who needs a job desperately and VERY soon.

Hope Lindsay keep those babies in for a couple more weeks at least. Then no one will have to worry so much about her delivery and the health of those twins. I thought i remembered that 30-32 was pretty good for twins, if they had to be born then. My daughter had her twins about 6 wks early and they were both pretty good sized boys . Actually, she went into labor the evening of her baby shower- talk about timing. Was anyone planning a shower for Linds ? If so she had better be very careful :)!!

Hope you have a good nights sleep, my dear !!! You will need as much as you can get, now and for later on too. Sleep tight !!!!

Lots of hugs to you and any one else reading this,
  14. jole

jole Member

I've been out sitting on the porch looking for ya, but you never did come by!! :) Just me, listening to the birds singing away, trying to get my mind off this horrible flare....but it's peaceful out here!

Julie, Granni, ladies seem to be keeping busy. Julie, it's good to hear those babies are doing well, Georgia, I've never heard of cleaning fleece before either, and would love to watch that :) Granni, I hope your DD gets a job soon. That has to be so stressful! She's in my prayers with lots of others...

Rock, I've been enjoying your bumper stickers! I remember when every single car had at least Back in the 60-70s everyone knew when someone had been on vacation by their bumper stickers. We didn't go, so never had any.

Hope Spring has a good weekend. Thought of her this morning when we were without water as they repaired a water line. We're catching the Tx drought, and need a good soaker sooo bad. Our crops are dying in the field. Nothing new here, just wanted to say hi to my friends.

15. Granniluvsu

How nice to hear from you again. So sorry to hear about the drought in KS. Yes, our drought was awful and we had some good rains but am still way below average and our lakes are up some. At least people with boats can go out in them. We neede so much more however, and the heat is coming on and am afraid we might get stuck in the awful droubt we did have. It was so dry and there ware wild fires all around, even not to far from us. We have lots of trees and greenery on our property , not good if they are very dry and there is a fire around - swoosh - and there goes everything.

I can imagine all the lovely crops all dried out. We had lots of that last year, so much damage. I hope you get some nice rains soon and us too. You truly do not know how much the rain is missed until you do not get any. Water and rain is truly precious for many reasons and uses..

I remember aboaaut all those crazy bumper stickets. Howerver, we never put any on or very few ad they were very hard to get off,especially when the weather is so hot around here and fry. You can never get them off. Our daughter gave us one for from our granddaughter to us to put on our car, a big A for University of Alabama where she is going. It still is not on the car :)!

Thanks Jole for the prayers for our daughter. I am so nervous over it but DH is not saying much. We send her some $ but knowit is not close to enough of wha she will need.

Just got back this afternoon from voting in early TX Primary - well that is over, thank goodness.

Love to everydobby,

[This Message was Edited on 05/16/2012]
  16. Granniluvsu

Oh dear, here we go again. It sounds to me that those babies are really wanting to come out. Was this when David's parents were going to come anyway, or at least his Mother? Or did you call them to come early?

Hope all goes well 1! Please keep us all posted. I know it is so exciting and scary too, especially for the babies. Glad she did get the shots for the babies lungs. Wonder if they will give her more mag. to try and stop the contractions again. Of course, not sure how strong or regular they are.

If she comes back home at least David's parents or his mom will be able to help with Lorraine, etc. It is to bad so much of this has been on you.

More later. I have to go and get dressed. Have a meeting to go to today. So, have to look presentable .

Big hugs to you and everydobby else,
  17. Granniluvsu

Not that they are never are busy- your weekends :)!!! I am confused, is Lindsay at home or still in the hosptal. I am guessing maybe home but not sure. Of course with her being so far away from home, that presents a problem too. Not sur eif you mean't they on their way home included Lindsay too .

Glad David's parents are there to give you a little break, as short as it might be :)! Take advantage of it while you can my dear.

Yes, it sounds like Lorraine probably has a virus but good to be sure with Lindsay and the babies having contact with her.

Thinking of you and everyone. Please let us know when you can as we tend to worry as you know !! Hope and pray all continues to be well.

Love to you and everydobby on the Porch,

18. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I hadve been thinking of all of y ou and especially those dear babies!

It has been a busy time ------D came a week ago today and we actually had supper----cheated though as some was from the deli! The next day she took me to the city about 50 mi. from home. (My fingers are not cooperating so forgive) She took me into numerous shops at the mall in my transport chair. I gelt so bad that she hade to push but I guess I pushed a lot for her dad. We ended uo in the supermarket for a quick run through. She treated me to lunch at Bob Evans and ice cream at Chick-Filla. Have you ever eaten ice cream fropm there? My it is delicious. More like home-made..

Then home. I had been in that chair so long that I almost couldn't walk when I got out of the car. My legs were soooo painful! Took a shower and just rested and watched TVandvisited.

The next day! We left for Carmel, a sub of Indy. We looked at DIL'ss text message to find out way to grandson's home. they have Nolan, my new great gerandson. We were told that they would have snacks -------all thaat was salsa and chips, a few carrots, and a bowl of fruite. D waited on me and we both were still hungry for more food! we had bioth dressed in better clothes to look civil for the baby's dedication. Everyone else was very informal. My tkimes have changed.!!Followed them to the cnurch and D and I sat in handicapped sectiion along with granddaughter-in-law's sister who has RETT! IOh my, how sad. Look it up. She can walk but giggles, has her feet drawn up, hands are up bu face ande busy! I guess we don't known how fortunate to have had healtny kids and grands.

There were 30 babies dedicated, then,---this I didn't know------was a long, long church service. I was sooioio cold---did have a jacket but that wasn'gt wenough. After that we went tio Fazoli's---which i love but hadn't been to for years----Then S told us how to get out of Carmel. Was that a joke!!!! we were so lost. D got on cell to S and he tried to talk us to the main road. D and I ihave gone to Carmel 2 times and both times got soooo lost. D says she will haver go there again!

Again I was in the transport chair most of the time but when I had to walk I had to have help! At least we got home before dark and saw no deer crossing the highway. We live in deer country and so many friends have hit one.

Then Sun. we went to the Mother's day service at church. we had planned to leave home at 10:30d to meet son#1. Wedll, you know what happens when you plan a time. She talked and talked and talked but we did make it. We drove about an hour south to the Beef House where we met S #1. Thehy don't take reservations but he had gotten there 35 mkin. before us and we only had to wait 10 more min. The service was wonderful and oh--the food! Again IO was i the wheelchair and they took away a chair and made the seating for me. such a wonderful Mother's Day.

Mon. D jusgt worked and worked around doing chores that she knew I might like done. she washed the sheets and quilt bed spread, (wonderful) and so many othher things. Tues. she left for MI. What a wonderful D.!!!!!

But even though I didn't do anything, I was sooooi tired and hurt so mucgh. Too much wheelchair.

Ok, I am done ranting about me!!!!

Oh Julie----please take advantage of David's parents being there!! You need some rest. Please sweetie! And then Lorraine's virus is scary too!

I remember the bumper stickers but Harley wouldn't let one be on the bumper. They were too hard to get off!

Today it has been 3 years since Harley's death. Makes the sadness come back. #1 S called me at noon, knowing it was the date. He has memories too. Someone at coffee said that 50 yr. ago today his first child was born. I said it was 3 yrs, since Harley's passing and they just looked at me!

I don't want to make anyone feel bad but most of the farmers had their corn crops planted because of the warm spell in March. Then we got 2 inches about 2 weeks ago and it just popped up so nice and green. but the forcast has no rain in it at all for the next 7 days. So sorry for those of you in the drought. It so awful just seeing the crops dry up and there is nothing you can do but pray!!

I got up at 5:30 and that is too earlty for me! I had to go to potty and I hurt so much in bed decided I might at well get up. I jusgt sit then and relax a bit and that helps me some to get going! I got so sleepy right before dinner but kept awake til I had eaten. then I had to wash dishes and decided i would just come and see me friends here instead. Hurts my back to do dishes and oh. my leg!! Enough with all that stuffr, Joan!!!

Rock: Your sticker about how many miles before asking for directions! How well i know that. i think men are too proud and manly to ske directions. i know first hand about that, bless his sweet soul. Love still bit now can laugh about somethings.

ii have about done you in!! I can not type straight and it is tme for an afternoon snack. Oh how I hate to try to stand up.

Bless all your sweet hearts and keep those babies where they belong!!

Gentle Hugs and X0x0x0x

19. Granniluvsu

It is already late so I need to getoff but I loved reading your long post . Sounds like you had a busy and fun Mother's Day and got all wore out :)!!

hope you come back soon again when I can stay and there are mor e people here.

Glad those babies are safe inside momma. Every little bit helps ! Seems like it will be pretty soon though. Those contractions were pretty close together for awhile there.

SW - is on a trip, not sure when she will get back.

Hope to visit soon with more of you, or should i say US (Porchies) !!. Glad all is well Joan !

Love to everydobby,

20. Granniluvsu

Guess I had better start a new volume since it is 29 I think. Hope is well with everyone. Have a great weekend.

See you on the other side.