THE PROCHLIGHT Volume 660 IS CLOSED

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Nov 10, 2013.

1. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Rosin on the bow and here we go.

Last dance, Folks. Pull on your boots, find your
    partner, and take your places.

Honor your partner; curtsey and bow.
    Grab your gal and show 'er how.

Circle 'round and go to town.
    All jump up and don't come down.

Ladies to the center; form a star.
    Gents stay put right where your are.

Do Si Do, then form a ring.
    Let's have fun till the birdies sing.

Allemande left with the old left hand.
    Weave the ring. Now ain't life grand!

First two couples, forward and back.
    Next two couples, take the same track.

Chickens in the hen house. Pigs are in the sty.
    The time has come to say goodbye.

Lets' have a big hand for the band. Earl Peterson
    on the fiddle, Shirley Utz on the piano and
    Hilde Runger on the accordion. Before you
    leave be sure and shake the gals' hands. Give
    Earl a big kiss.

Rock
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks, Rock, for starting us off with a new Porch. I have got to get to Trader Joe's before the huge onslaught of Snowbirds make going down that way impossible. Those brooms are sold at Publix for around $5. I almost had an asthma attack when they displayed them near my cash register. They had to move them. It's one thing to get a whiff of them but quite another to be around them for hours. Some people have houses in which the front door is parallel to the back door, allowing too much Chi to race through the house. Putting something wooden over the back door keeps the Chi from doing that. The usual item is a wooden flute but a wooden broom would work as well. Loved the term, Lone Arranger! I laughed about my "Manuel" labor but in this case, it's Pedro. I have never seen that cartoon, "Argyle Sweater." I'll have to look it up. Our elderly population down here only likes their old tried and true comics. Every year, they vote for which to keep and which to toss. I love "Get Fuzzy" but the old folks, which actually includes me, don't get it. I read the weekly newspaper online but go to Yahoo to read the comics.

Julie, I hope that crud y'all have had doesn't just keep recycling. That often happens with kids. I saw all the ads on TV about the free dinners for Vets. I think that's so nice. I keep seeing all these other ads for charities for Vets for helping them heal. I think it's a wonderful idea but it also makes me furious that our government just goes off to war without planning on taking care of the Vets' needs when they return. It's a national disgrace!

Springwater, I knew what you meant, that you wouldn't have to actually remove walls physically. There are many homes which do not easily lend themselves to Feng Shui. In that case, one can only do one's best or Feng Shui each room. I have some lovely crystals. I had programmed one for healing but now use it for pendulum work. It's got silver on one end, so I can't soak it in salt water but I often put it out under the full moon's rays. I use the "Crystal Allay Cards" for quarterly forecasting. They are always right. I like them so much better than Tarot. I also love that each stone and crystal has it's own frequency which can be used to call on for help.

Granni, the work is all done! Woohoo! Yesterday, I got started at 7:00 and was done by a little past 9:00. I took four large garden bags full of clippings down to the dumpster. Everything is pruned and raked up. The last thing I did was to plant some orange New Ginnea impatiens in the flower boxes which hang in front of the stair landings. The boxes also have some kind of variegated vine which hangs over the edge around the flowers. It looks amazing, especially since the boxes hang above our orange Ixora bushes. It feels sooooo good to have it all done. Yes, I'm a bit stiff and sore, especially my hands, but I'm so glad I got it done. I haven't been able to catch Julie so I can see the kitties. From what she has told Barb, everything is going well and that makes me happy. As much as I love them, I'm glad to be free of the responsibilities of pets. Of course, I would take them back in a heartbeat if they needed me but I know they have a good, loving home.

Sunflower Girl, thanks for your kind words about my making the right choice when my neighbor was sick. She ended up driving herself and, evidently, was OK. I think this poor woman just freaks out when she has to handle anything. Those of us who are old hands at living alone don't let much panic us. Mmmmmm! Clam Chowdah! I love it. Also, oyster stew. I'm hungry for salmon and Publix has it on sale. Gonna run to the store this morning. I bought the movie, "Hugo" and love it. I just knew that it is one I would watch over and over. I saw a special on those antique automatons. Fascinating! Unfortunately, I haven't had time to watch movies, or do much of anything else, since taking on the yard project.

Today I have to get through my paperwork and throw out old junk mail. Each day, I have scanned my mail and removed bills and other important mail. I've just piled up the junk. I have a stamp which covers my name and address before putting things in the recycle bin. It's amazing what identity thieves can do with only a name and address. It's more work but I breathe more easily too. I will continue to take care of the needs of the landscaping but will turn my attention to the inside of my condo. I also need to clean the carpets in the SUV because we used it to transport all those plants and mulch. Passenger mats need to be cleaned too. I'm tired and have been sleeping a lot but every day, I thank God that I have the energy to do what needs doing. Landscaping is more rewarding than housework or paperwork but I'll just have to soldier on.

Hope everyone else has NRG and a pain free day and some joy.

Love, Mikie
  3. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Kids

Grandpa was at the Normandy landing on D Day?! Wow! Sixty nine years ago!
    The greatest armada ever assembled in history. Dwight D Eisenhower was in charge.
    He had no combat experience, but was highly regarded as an organizer/planner.
    He was the third 5 star General in our history.

Is there a family history that includes Granpa's memories, Julie? One of my ancestors
    wrote two books, but never even mentioned his service in the Civil War. A big thank
    you to Grandpa and all our other vets.

The book by Fannie Flagg that I just read is about the women pilots during WW II.
    They flew new planes from the site where they were manufactured to military
    bases. SG, I loved the book. I hope you do too.

Thanks for the automaton video. I remember reading about same years ago. The simplest
    machines had a small person inside. A dwarf or a real child. But I never saw this sophisticated creation. Isn't it amazing that it still survives and is functional?

I wish I were still functional. Ha Ha!

I had not heard about people donating their luggage. Funny, huh. Everyone wants to
    have nice luggage. No one wants to have baggage.

Granni, the radio and print reporter who always started his broadcasts with the Mr and
    Mrs America quote was Walter Winchell. He was a colorful character and incredibly popular.

Well, I have nothing scheduled for today. Pretty much the case most days. Gordon told
    me he was going to do something, but I can't remember what. Well, I hope we all can
    manage to get something accomplished today.

Rock

4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

Since my early morning post, I managed to lose my breakfast and visit the porcelain throne at least six times--Herxing! :confused: Bah! At least, it means lots of little critters are dying off. The signature headache is fairly mild so that is a good thing. I had thought I was through and went out. Good thing the diarrhea stopped long enough for me to shop until it started up again when I got home. Timing is everything in life.

Picked up my Rx's at Target. I talked the woman there into filling my other two a few days early so they would all be refilled on the same day. As it is, I just get three filled and a couple of days later, I have to go back for the other two. I needed a new pair of sneakers but Target didn't have anything of value.

I went to Bealls and tried on all those crazy neon Nikes. Nothing felt right. Then I tried on a pair of Avias, a brand I usually don't wear. They feel really good. As it is, they are silver with hot pink trim. They were $60 but Bealls was taking $5 off all their regularly priced shoes. So, I'm thinking I'll get them for $55 and use my $10 coupon. When the clerk rang them up, they were on sale for $29.99. With my coupon, I got those $60 shoes for $19.99. Woohoo! Gotta love a deal. I ruined my old sneakers doing the landscaping. One sole came completely off. For a bit, it was flapping in the wind.

Finally, I stopped at Publix and got some chicken tenders. Even with my stomach upset, I needed to eat something. I plan to rest the remainder of the day. I know I overdid it with the gardening. It'll take a bit to get some NRG back.

Rock, those women pilots not only ferried new planes but also towed targets for other pilots to shoot at. It was considered very dangerous work. Those old planes were built for average sized men and very difficult for women to fly simply due to the size of everything and the strength needed to handle them. If a plane goes into a dive, it takes a tremendous amount of strength to pull the nose back up.

Julie, saw a bit of President Obama's speech today. He acknowledged a WWII vet who was 107 years old. The man looked nowhere that age and was able to rise for his standing ovation.

I'm catching up on TV shows I missed due to falling asleep early. I am so drained at the end of each day. Good thing for On Demand.

Love, Mikie
  5. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Kids

If I knew how to post a pic, I would. We got a notice of an orchid show that shows a
    monkey orchid. If you're curious, search for Monkey Orchid Flowers, Photos. They grow
    in the mountains of Ecuador and Peru. Their genus name is not simian as you might
    expect, but Dracula.

Gordon has been doing lots of work in the garden. Yesterday he divided an orchid into 5
    pieces and transplanted them. He also dug out the bird of paradise plant which was a
    substantial undertaking involving sawing and digging. We also took down the venetian blind
    in the computer room and washed it with the hose. Probably hadn't been cleaned in 30
    years. His mother, and I'm quoting him, was a terrible house keeper although she was superb
    at keeping junk. We got rid of lots of stuff when we moved in, but there must be a least a ton of stuff that needs to be disposed of.

Sounds like Grandpa had a nice day, Julie. Glad to hear you have a video of him talking
    about his experiences. My dad brought back lots of stuff from WW II including K rations,
    medals, a gas mask, his false teeth (he got 'em in the army). Probably the most collectible
    items were two German daggers in scabbards with Swastikas on the hilts. Wonder if
    anyone in the family knows where they are. I see similar stuff on the net for sale priced
    at several thousand dollars.

Mikie, I note you've been working your discount magic again. You should do all the shopping
    for our government. I thought of you last night when I was looking at opera recordings. A
    budget recording company sells CDs of live opera performance. The cost for a 2CD set is usually around $15.

One of these recordings is now out of print, but you can buy it on Amazon for $3769!* I
    think the seller has been sitting to close to the speakers for far too long. I wouldn't pay that
    much if the singers came to my house and did a live performance. Anyhoo, I looked
    around the net. Found the same thing on sale for $14.27. (Didn't even need a coupon.)

*Not a typo. They are really asking for $3769. I doubt they are serious. Maybe it's an
    attempt to drum up publicity. The performance, BTW, was way back in 1969 when we
    were all young, slim, beautiful and healthy (I hope).

Chili with turkey sounds good, Jam. I never eat canned chili. Too spicy for me. Actually
    I haven't eaten chili since I left home. For some reason most people put chili powder in
    it. My mother's chili was bland a tuna hot dish.

Rock
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

Jam, thanks for the "tour" of TJ's. It sounds heavenly. I have GOT to go. Even this early, though, the streets are crowded with Snowbirds. I had better go soon or not until after next May. I wonder whether, if war were not so profitable, we would be so inclined to wage it. I love chili. I should make some. When I've been sick or out of commission for a while, I just stop cooking. I still eat halfway decent food but I just don't make it myself. I do try to stay away from the highly processed stuff.

Rock, your story of the opera set made me think of my downstairs neighbors. They love fresh air so open all the windows as soon as they are up and about. The other morning, I heard them singing opera but I think each was singing from a different one. He is from England and she from France. They have been here more than 30 years but both have thick accents. They love it here and are American citizens. They seem so happy and playful, singing all the time. They are very active, playing tennis, swimming, and going out gadding about. Now that's the way to be retired. If only the rest of us had the NRG to be like them.

Dracula orchid, huh? If you get too close to it, does it bite you and drink your blood? If you stare at it, does it drive you batty? I had a lovely orchid but it died. I found out later that Lowe's would have given me my money back or replaced it. The orchid expert told me why it didn't make it. They have to be repotted when you get them home, out of that mossy stuff they come in, and potted in one of those wooden airy boxes or a pot with air slots around the base. The medium for repotting them is bark so the little roots get air. Well, who knew? Other than my fatality, they seem to be easy to grow down here. I may try again one of these days. It's very hard on me to lose a plant. I'll definitely look up Monkey Orchid. Honestly, I was shocked myself at the deal I got on those sneakers; I didn't know they were half priced. Then, when I used my $10 coupon, they were 1/3 of the original price. I've been too busy working in the yard to go shopping. Guess that's a way to save money too.

Julie, thanks for the good wishes. Yes, I definitely overdid it. You look beautiful and Grandpa is a handsome man. Thanks for posting the pic. I'm so glad y'all got to enjoy the meal. I think it's such a nice thing for restaurants and delis to do a little something for our Vets. Even a small token of appreciation means so much. We owe our Vets more than we can ever repay but, at least, we can say thanks.

I'm off to the condo mtg. this morning but not til 9:30. They owe me a check for landscaping supplies I bought for the project. I still have to get together the major share of receipts for reimbursement. I love to just go out and look at the way everything turned out. The orange flowers are beautiful and so different from the usual pinks and reds. Inside the stairwells, where flowers won't grow, we have a variety of green and red foliage. Those who live here, and visitors, are the only ones who see in there but it's like a little secret garden which delights us each and every time we see it. Now, if I can only get some NRG to clean the condo. I think the ABX, especially when I Herx, keep me feeling a bit down.

Hoping everyone has a wonderful day.

Love, Mikie
  7. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

Julie: I'm very sorry to read this. Windytalker would be the one to ask questions re: this. I will pray for them. Devastating.
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

Julie, I am so sorry to hear about your DSIL. That's tough news to get. I'm sending up a prayer for her and the family. We were just talking out on the Balcony about how many we've lost around here to cancer. Joe, our neighbor I mentioned earlier, just lost his wife to lung cancer and she never smoked. It was very quick but I understand that's not always the case. I'm sure you know that it's better to give the body some down time after therapeutic massage because so many toxins are released in the process. Hope you can get some rest.

Jam, Eisenhower warned us about the military/industrial complex. There are an unbelievable number of companies which profit from war, including the civilian soldiers who do everything our soldiers do but for many times the money made in the service. Haliburton was only one such company which had contracts with the govt. without even having to submit bids. They even provided the MRE's which fed the soldiers in the field. There is so much waste in our defense spending. Govts. should have to have the same stds. of cost reduction which every company has to have to survive. I am glad so much attention is being brought to our Vets to show the real costs of war. It breaks my heart to see so many really young men and women with lost limbs, brain injuries and the worst injuries, the ones which cause PTSD and suicide. Sorry to be such a downer here but if we ignore this, we will just get ourselves into another useless war in some gawd awful country which is so backward that the term "third world" is too advanced for their society. In the end, they still end up hating us so why do we do it? Our national defense does not depend on invading other countries. Yes, if they provide sanctuary or training grounds to terrorists, we can act on that but that doesn't require invading them. Sorry for the rant. I guess Veterans Day just brought my angst to a head.

After the condo mtg. yesterday, I came home and decided to trim the one Hibiscus bush I had missed. Then, it came to me that I hadn't checked the bushes around our air conditioners. They had to be cut back to give circulation to the units. I left the cuttings to the so-called landscapers to pick up. That's the least they can do if they aren't going to do their jobs. The front of our bldg. looks soooo good and it gives me pleasure just to look at it. We have a beautiful "Spinning Bottle" Hibiscus which is orange with red and purple in the center of the flower. It is spectacular.

Rock, I looked up those Monkey Orchids. I didn't realize that the whole bloom looks just like a monkey's body, a monkey wearing a hat. When the "hat" is pulled back, you can see the monkey's face. What an amazing thing to see. We have Ghost Orchids here in the Everglades. They were thought to be extinct but a few have made an appearance. They are not particularly attractive but it's nice to know we haven't lost them to extinction. I may try another orchid after all my work is caught up, if ever. All this outside work has really set me back. I keep thinking it's done and then something else comes up. Oy!

I'm still very tired and achy. My hands are swollen and when I slept there for a while, they would go numb. It's just from the repetitive motion of working with the clippers pruning the bushes. It's time to work on our budgets for 2014. I've barely had time to look ours over. Our other two board members are in TX visiting their kids til after Thanksgiving. That ought to give me time to study it. We got a settlement from the company which bought the foreclosed unit in our bldg. so we can put it into a reserve acct. for uninsured damages. Our insurance has a $35,000 deductible, per incident, for hurricane damage. This basically means that anything short of total wipeout is on us. I'm glad we have this put away as it's almost impossible to find people when a bldg. is so damaged that it is uninhabitable and they have moved. No one wants to try to track them down to get money for a special assessment to rebuild. We have flood insurance to completely rebuild. Only a category 4 or 5 storm could possibly send a surge which might knock our bldg. off the foundation. That's what happened in the Phillipines with that horrible cyclone, which is just another name for a hurricane. We were lucky this year but we always have to be prepared for the worst.

Absolutely have to do some work in here today. I fall into a very deep sleep early in the evening each night and miss all my shows. I just found out that Season 4 of "Housewives of Beverly Hills" has started so now am playing catch up. Again, thank God for On Demand. My favorite new show of the season is "The Blacklist" with James Spader. Barb watches it too. After I finally get this condo cleaned up, I may put up a few Christmas decorations. I've skipped fall decorations, except for my fantastic fall wreath on the door. I won't put up much, just a few things to get me in the spirit. In Target, they had CD's with all the old Christmas songs and it instantly took me back to my childhood. Time seems to be whipping by at warp speed these days and I keep wondering where the time has gone. That's a sign of old age. AACK!

Well, this old lady is going to go load the dishwasher and start cleaning, even though it's only 5:00 a.m. I have to be quiet until the folks get up downstairs. They sleep til 8:00. That's usually not a problem because we are out on the balcony having coffee. Hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Love, Mikie
  9. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

Once again, I am "lurking" attempting to keep up with all your newsy posts. Of course, I did read Julie's post about her SIL and the devastating news of her Stage 4 Lung Cancer. My heart goes out to everyone affected...these will be trying days for so many, especially Julie's SIL.

The progression of her disease will depend on her "type" of lung cancer. There are 2 types...small cell and non-small cell. Small cell is extremely aggressive.

There are so many different treatments for this type of disease, I can't comment on what might be prescribed for her. It's "how" she's treated that's important. When anyone, and I mean "anyone", takes the stance..."well, she smoked", they're basically saying she "deserved" it. Not so! But, this attitude can and does overflow to the people treating her and that's the worst of it.

My niece, who died last January (never smoked!), had physicians who "experimented" on her (also Stage 4) and her days were totally miserable. They DID extend her life by about 6 months, but the quality was soooooo very, very poor. This I DO NOT want for Julie's SIL.

I feel what's most important is that she needs to know that most cancer survivors eat a high protein diet combined with lots of "organic" veggies and fruit. This is "statistical"!! Vegetarian diets aren't successful, regardless of what you might read somewhere else. Cancer feeds on sugar, so junk food is a total no-no. No more McDonald's, etc.!! No more "pop". Soy and corn need to be avoided like the plague (over 90% contains pesticides). Organic dairy is good! Preferably, "raw" milk if it's gotten from a "clean" source. "Grass fed" beef is preferred. But, an occasional treat can't be outlawed. It's good for the "soul".

I feel I know what's going through her mind...and it's too hard to explain here. She WILL be in my prayers...

Hugz,
    Windy
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  10. Darrae

Darrae Member

Hi Porchies!

No, I haven't dropped off the face of the earth. It's just that time of year for me. From Halloween to New Year's is "Dar" has no time for Dar time. Between decorating, undecorating, decorating, undecorating, decorating.......etc....etc....it's a nightmare in my field. I was honored, exhausted, but honored to spread Veteran's Day out over 3 days for my Veterans. On Friday the 8th, I took a group to the Milan Civic Center for a Veteran's luncheon where they received recognition, plaques, pins, and the company of other Veterans.

It was very moving. Brought tears to my eyes when one of my favorite residents, a Marine Vet, who is very wobbly and can barely stand any length of time insisted upon standing for the Star Spangled Banner. I had hold of his his belt loop in the back and an arm under his arm. Brought tears to my eyes he was shaking so badly but would not give up.

My Dad was a WWII Marine Corps Vet who fought all over the South Pacific. I wore his Guadal Canal pin, his Marine Corps bull dog pin, and his 45 year VFW pin in his honor. My brother was a Navy Vet, my oldest son's dad, (deceased) was an Army Vet, my oldest daughter is dating a fellow still serving in the Army and served in Iraq, and my fella of 12 years is a 4 year Army Vet and 6 year Navy Seal Vet. So Veteran's Day is very special to me. Something I am passionate about.

On Sunday, the 10th I had a motorcycle group, (all veterans), come to the facility to serve my Vets a catered luncheon and talk with our vets. They loved it! Some of these guys are pretty young and still serving. Some have been in Iraq, some in Egypt, some in Afghanistan, and some in Viet Nam.

On Monday, the 11th, I had a Patriotic music program with M-Jam Karaoke for them and afterwards served red, white and blue long johns from Hy-Vee and Soda in the coffee area.

In that weekend, I racked up 7 hours of overtime. Today I took down all the patriotic deco, and took off early to "downsize" the overtime. They don't like overtime where I work. Sorry I've missed so much.

Julie. sorry to hear about your DSIL.

Mikie, sorry you're sick again. Get better love.

Rock, thanks for starting the new page. Always so much fun to hear about you and Gordon and your funny jokes!

To all Else I may have forgot to mention love to all! And, I don't remember who mentioned oyster stew and clam chowder, but Yuuuummmmm!!!!! Two of my favorites!!

Will try to be back on soon.

Dar
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Gang,

Well, I didn't get anything started yesterday. I finally wore myself down to where I needed a whole day in bed. It's so restorative to the aching body. Hands are still swollen. It's only about 5:15 a.m., but I've already loaded the dishwasher. Can't run it til the folks downstairs are up. Sooooo, I decided to come check out my Online Family.

Dar! What a pleasant surprise to see your post. You have been a busy lady. I hope we get to hear from you more now. What always stands out to me is that every generation has had its war and returning Vets. Almost everyone has a Vet in one war or another. I'm glad to see that we are finally honoring them for their service. Even more sobering is a trip to Arlington to see how many have made the ultimate sacrifice.

Julie, I agree that the issue of smoking should not enter into the conversation when one has contracted cancer. Now, so many who have never smoked have lung cancer. As a former smoker, I know just how difficult it is to stop smoking. I have COPD many, many years after I quit. It just doesn't seem fair that someone who never smoked can get lung cancer. There are so many kinds of cancer but researchers are finally learning that treatment often needs to be tailored to each patient. I keep your SIL in my prayers.

Rock, Yahoo carries the comic , Argyle Sweater, and I've been reading it. For anyone who likes play on words, it's a riot. I like reading my comics on Yahoo because they are in color every day. I read our newspaper online 'cept for Sat. and Sun. and don't like the little B&W funnies during the week. Nothing much to tell after I slept all day yesterday so will sign off for now.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Love, Mikie
  12. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

Julie - so sorry to hear about your SIL. That is just terrible. I only had time to check the posts very quickly and get off. I have to run to chiro. in a minute or two. Will try and get back later. Has been a very busy couple of days. It is

Hope to check in later today. So behind in everything including exercises - ugh.

Love you all,
    Granni
  13. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

Dar...What a wonderful tribute to those veterans.:) I suspect their hearts were touched deeply. I know this all had to be a lot of work for you, but you brought a lot of happiness to them. I know your work isn't finished...especially since other holidays are in the wings. Just remember...you can't take care of others if you don't take good care of yourself.

Julie...It's good to know your brother and SIL have a strong support system in their family. That's very helpful!!! I'm not sure how the "stages" of lung cancer are rated. I was Stage 3A which meant the main tumor was in a lung but lymph nodes outside of the lung were affected and, at the time, not a surgical candidate. It could be since she has it in both lungs that's the reason for the Stage 4 diagnosis since she's also not a surgical candidate. I'm curious to know if it's traveled outside her lungs.

Even though Lance Armstrong has retired in shame, he was an inspiration to me. He developed prostrate cancer (from bike riding) that traveled to his lungs and his brain. And, he beat it and he couldn't have beat it without the use of steroids. It's too bad he took advantage of it after his cure.:(

But, do know this, prayers work...at least they worked for me. And, the more, the better.

Mikie...I guess I didn't realize you were sick again. Gads, gal, you need a break! Hope you're starting to improve.

To all...please stay well (or as well as possible).

Hugs,
    Windy
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Kids,

Granni, come back after you exercise. How I admire your sticktoitiveness.

Windy, I've had a bladder infection off and on for about four months. Can't seem to get rid of it. Doc now has me on ABX every day. I have to get my kidneys, ureter and bladder x-rayed. It's called a KUB. Don't think it involves dye or anything like that. I think I just lie on the table and hold my breath when they want a pic. Ultrasound found three kidney stones but we are doing nothing about them now. So, basically, I'm not sick as my UTI symptoms are gone. What has made me so sore, achy and tired has been all the planting I've been doing for my little landscaping project and all the pruning to make everything look good. Even though I live in a condo, it's kinda tradition that our board members do what we can to save money. I did pay our so-called landscapers to remove the old shrubs but they did it wrong and made a mess. You are so right about the prayers; they really do work. They work even better when several people pray for a purpose.

All this time, more than a week, I've been outside working, the condo has gotten to be a mess. At least, I managed to keep the laundry up and the dishwasher is clean and ready to load when I dirty some dishes. The worst mess, and the chore I hate the worst, is cleaning up the piles of junk mail which I've just stacked up. I just got them into a paper bag to recycle. What takes time is using a stamp to stamp out my name and address to try to foil identity thieves. I decided to pay my bills online, including my property taxes. I'm homesteaded so that helps. Then, I get another homestead for being old, and finally, I get another one because I'm poor. I can't use them all or the county would owe me money but it sure helps me out. Of course, I'll never be able to afford to move. It's a good thing I like it here.

Got the tickets today for the "Women of Ireland." Barb and I are going in Feb. The catalog just came out and we wanted to get the best seats available in our price range. Something to look forward to. Not many of our neighbors enjoy that kind of thing so it's just the two of us going. We are invited to a wonderful free Christmas program at one neighbor's church. I've not gone before but heard it's just beautiful. Looking forward to that too. Eating out seems to be the favorite activity among the Seniors. Geez, the stereotype is true! Yikes! Well, I don't mind going out for a meal now and then myself but man (nor woman) cannot live by restaurant food alone. We need a little culture now and then.

Well, dear ones, I think I've earned some dinner and a nice restful dinner. Hope everyone else has a good one.

Love, Mikie
  15. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

o sorry to hear about your SIL JULIE and about all the sick people on the Porch. Yes, maybe you will get a little bit of a break when Lindsay and family go away for the Thanksgiving holidays. You rarely get a break with all those babies around :)!!! I know you love to do it but your body doesn't.

MIKIE - Sorry to hear about you being sick again. Is it your stomach or do you have temp or what. Sorry, I haven't been able to read everyone's newsy posts as thoroughly as I should be doing. In such a rush from this to that and don't ask me what I have really been doing.

Glad to see WINDY, SUN, JAM,and DAR. Hope DAR will be back soon. I know what she means about all the work these holidays coming up. However, now I do as little decorating as I can get away with it. I guess Dar cannot do so ( get away with not doing much on decorating). Hope she finds the time to come back soon and in good health or as best as possible.

Spring Water - Hope you are well and getting things done at your house - we want some pics if you can manage it. Did you ever get that kitchen sink installed :)???

Gotta run now. DH needs the puter and I need to start those exercises and head roll thingy.

Mikie - Sorry to hear it is your URI problem again !!! This has got to stop;. I still didn't do all my exercises. I am not that great, believe me. I laid on the Denneroll for 20 minutes - much but not much else.
  16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hi, Granni, thanks for your concern. I'm not sick but the doc has me on a low daily dose of ABX because for the last four months, every time I stopped my ABX, the UTI returned. So, I now have no symptoms of the UTI but the ABX are causing some stomach distress, despite my taking my probiotics. It's not bad enough for me to stop taking the ABX. Don't know how long I'll need to be on them. I have an appt. in Jan. after my kidney (KUB) x-ray.

My latest problem of fatigue and achiness is from overdoing it on the landscaping project. The project is done so now, I just have to clean my condo. I can pace myself. The worst of it, the paperwork and bills, are done. Now, it's just physical cleaning. AACK! Still, I really enjoy a shiny clean condo so I keep that in mind.

Even if you didn't get all your exercises done, I still admire you for exercising. I know how hard it is to do for us. BTW, I watch the "Real Housewives of Beverly Hills." One of the women, Yolanda, is a tall lithe former model and has always been so health conscious. Evidently, between last season and this season, she contracted Lyme Disease. She had to have a tube put directly into her heart to deliver ABX. They just showed it being removed after nine months. She'll now get ABX shots. Not only was her heart at risk but she said she had some serious cognitive issues. This is Lyme at it's worst. I really feel for her. She was always exercising and eating so healthy. She even designed her own refrigerator to keep the kinds of foods she likes to eat fresh. She's worried about how this is affecting her husband who was used to a healthy, vibrant wife. I feel so bad for her but am glad Lyme is getting some exposure on TV. Many docs don't even believe in Lyme and our other illnesses. Peptide injections are in a study for Lyme and I hope they will be available.

My DGS has a Wii and Target has a sale--buy two games and get one free. They were out of a lot of the games when I shopped so will go online to see whether I can get the same deal there. I hate Target's website; it doesn't work like it should. Must of been designed by the guy who designed the Obamacare website :eek: Glad I'm all set up with my BC/BS Advantage plan. Don't know why anyone is sticking with AARP's UHC Medicare Complete now that it's an HMO instead of a PPO with most of the good specialists gone. Don't think my doc is gonna like it either. He'll have an extra workload doing all those gatekeeper referrals for patients to see specialists. With my PPO, I don't need referrals.

Well, guess I had better see what I need to do today. Sending my best wishes to you, Granni, and to everyone else for a wonderful, painfree day.

Love, Mikie
  17. rockgor

rockgor Active Member

Hi Kids

Can't decide if it's a Blue, Blue Day or a Blah, Blah Day. My depression is waxing and
    my energy is waning. Wasn't it Frank Zappa who named his child Moon Unit? Sounds
    like part of lesson plan.

Wednesday we went to two libraries. One in Glendale. Got a buncha CDs including an
    opera broadcast from Italian Radio in 1951. The sound was run through a computer; now sounds great. Wish there was some way we could be refurbished by being run through a computer.

Also got a CD of a very rare musical from the early 80s titled "Zorba". I saw it in San
    Francisco. Pretty tame entertainment even with Anthony Quinn. Alas, he could not
    sing or dance so was hardly an ideal lead for a musical. (I read in a show biz biography a
    few years ago that the dancing he did in the movie "Zorba" was actually done by a double.)

But the creators of Zorba did have a couple of successful musicals. "Cabaret" and "Chicago".
    They also wrote the songs 'New York, New York" and "My Coloring Book" back inthe 60s.

Gordon is watching QVC and waiting for a call from the doctor's office about some samples.
    The pill is question is not a generic, and we all know what that means.

Mikie, yes, the new healthcare site is a joke; a sad and expensive joke. Did you see in the
    news where our government has given other contracts to the same firm; apparently on a
    no bid basis. Sounds like something from the Detroit school of managing a city.

Granni, does your chiro have to tie you to the table to keep you from zipping in and out?
    Wish I had some of that energy. You must have whizzed along like those roller derby
    gals when you were young and healthy. I did about 2 minutes of exercise yesterday myself.
    It's one my chiro recommends. Like on back. Keep one leg straight. Pull up other knee
    to chest.

Glad to see you posting again, Dar. What a wonderful report on Veteran's Day. Brought
    tears to my eyes. Our government has a shameful record for its treatment of vets. And
    this goes back to the Revolutionary War.

Do you have boxes of decorations? I remember in grade school every room had at least 2
    bulletin boards, and the teachers changed the display every month. Pictures from Life Magazine were often used. And we kids brought in colored leaves, pussy willow buds, etc. I remember in 6th grade one of the farm boys brought in a rattle snake. (Not to be alarmed. It was just a baby. SOL) Today they would close the school, call out the haz mat people, alert
    the National Guard and expel a dozen students.

Will try to come back and finish this in a bit. The Spirit is willing, but my back says it's
    time to back out.

Rock
  18. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Member

:)Hi awl,

Glad to see you Mikie Jam, Rock and whoever else I missed. Some of my exercises are like yours ROCK - get on hands and knees, put one arm out parallel to your body and opposite leg. That one really throws me. Sometimes I need to hold onto something. I have to do it a bunch of times and then do the other arm and leg. Those are supposed to be for my back. Need to do my neck ones but did lie 21 and 1/2 minutes for that Denneroll thingy, not to comfy. Also, the chiro doesn't have to tie me down. It goes so fast with all his gadgets. In and out like a flash unless yo have to wait for someone else to finish.

Jam - I agree with you on TV nowadays, mostly food shows, do it yourself home shows, some news shows and sometimes get stuck with sports with DH. To me there is an awful lot of trash on there but then I am not young enough to supposedly appreciate some of this stuff, not that it is good for the young people either.

Mikie - I hope you get some more NRG and get some time to rest after all that outside work..

Rock - I agree, there is little common sense anymore. I kid brings a BB gun or a snacke to school and they would go bonkers. Just no common sense any more - ridiculous !!

Gotta run though and start my on my Christmas letter. I am so behind ):!! Also need to find my cards. I hate that it happens every year ):!!

Luv to awl,
    Granni :)
  19. Darrae

Darrae Member

Thanks for the welcome back all.

Sorry I've been incommunicado here for a while. Just majorly busy at work and lots of errands on the way home. Good news is the Veterans had a great time. They deserve all the accolades they can get. It was worth all the effort. I ran into an old resident of mine, while I was there in Milan,with severe dementia. He remembered me! I asked him if I could give him a smooch and planted one on his forehead. He reached out, put a hand on my cheek, and kissed my other cheek. He was a WWII Marine Corps Vet. That was an incredibly sweet moment.

Right now I have 3 calendars running around in my head, trying to keep them all straight. I have regular volunteers and paid entertainers who have "regular" days and dates to keep straight. Roughly 35 of them.

The Administrator keeps adding stuff to November's calendar, so I have to keep changing activities and/or cancelling them to accommodate her "last minute" ideas. Then I have to post each one so the residents know what's going on.

Now we have to have an 8:30 a.m. director's meeting every week on Tuesdays. Which sucks! The second Tuesday of each month I have 9:30 Quisine meeting, 10:30 Bingo, at 11:30 I cover the desk for the concierge, at 12:00 I get a 30 minute lunch, at 1:45 I put in a movie in the t.v. room and at 2:00 I have another activity. Like I have time for meetings to discuss the same crap we discussed a week ago! I'm trying to get all of December scheduled. Lots of stuff to schedule and I'm behind thanks to all this extra B.S..
    Our piano is trashed. So the people who normally come in to Christmas Carol have to be called and notified to either bring their own music sources in or sing acapella. I have a lot of volunteers to contact. I've got to get the sign out/or in sheets ready for Thanksgiving luncheon so we know who's eating in, who's going out, and who's got family coming in to join them. I've got to start decorating for Christmas soon. Then I get to do the same sheets for Christmas Dinner. None of this includes regular trips, activities, postings, newsletters, calendars, special outings, etc.......Some volunteers have cancelled for November and December, so I have to fill their spots.

I'm trying to get January's ahead since some of my volunteers are changing their regular days and I don't want them to conflict with other regulars. I also have new volunteers coming in the 3rd Saturdays each month now to play music, sing hymns and do a bible study for the residents. My usual Minister who was doing 2nd and 4th Saturdays is getting older and unhealthy. He's been cancelling a lot poor man.

Santa for Seniors gifts will be rolling in soon for at least 35 of my residents with no family or meager means. I have to get 105 small Christmas gift packages with goodies ready to go. I had to find a new Santa for our Resident Christmas party. Mission accomplished! I have the New Year's party planned and covered. Yay!!! I'm still waiting on the Rocky High Jazz Band to confirm so I can print December's calendar.

For December I have the Augustana flute choir, the Good News Singers, The Girlscouts sing and visit, Rudy Vallejo's Native American Eagle program, M-Jam Karaoke music, The Wierson's father/son music duo, Barbara Lane music, Circa 21 Dinner Theater outing, Adrick Woodruf music, The Strattons music, 4 shopping trips out, and tentatively the Rocky Jazz Band booked so far.

I still need to call Skip-A-Long Daycare kids, and several church groups

Holy nightmare Batman!!!! I will be so glad when the holidays are over!! I used to love Christmas........now I don't even decorate at home anymore other than to put up a 3 foot pre-decorated tree and call it good.

Thank my lucky stars, even with all this activity, my pain level is still managable, though I am majorly tired. Aside from the Vet's stuff last weekend, I had two music events this week so I had to lug chairs, dance with residents and for residents for an hour each day, and lug the chairs back. This, mind you not including the chairs I lug around on those mornings for exercise class and the karaoke machine which weighs a ton, and my usual activities for those days. I'm a little sore so am taking more hot soaks in epsom salts.

Happy Thanksgiving. I get one whole PTO day off the day before and Holiday paid time the day of. Merry Christmas. I get the PTO day before, Paid Holiday time the day of, and PTO time the day after off. And my Administrator thought I should take less time! Heck, the only time I take off is if I'm sick or in the hospital for pity's sakes. We had a talk. She backed up!!! The DON just took two one week vacations off back to back. The desk concierge is gone more than she's there. The Dietary director went to California for a week. Sometimes I feel like the proverbial "Red Headed Stepchild".

Good thing I like my job! I'm done whining now. May I please have some cheese to go with that whine? Camembert, perhaps some brie? Heck, right now I'd settle for a little cheddar! LOL

And to all a good night!

Loves N' hugz to all!

Dar

gone crazy. back soon..jpg
  20. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We are now at 32 posts so will go start another Porch.

Love, Mikie