The role of mehtylation and Epigenetics (lifestyle) in autoimmune disease.....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by ljimbo42, Aug 3, 2014.

1. ljimbo42

ljimbo42 Member

This is two studies linking DNA methylation, epigenetics (lifestyle) and autoimmune disease. Many of us understand that there is a strong CFS/FM connection to autoimmune diseases. DNA methylation plays an essential role in maintaining T-cell function among other things. The tremendously extensive role methylation plays in keeping the body healthy and strong cannot be overstated.

T cells play a crucial role in immunity and if methylation is slow, T cells can cause autoimmune disease. I beleive the cause of CFS/FM is both genetic and epigenetic. Meaning that those of us with CFS/FM have a genetic predisposition to these illnesses and our poor lifestyles (our epigenetics) ,and genetics together, cause the illnesses.

Poor diet, lack of, or over exercising, stresses from any source, accidents, type A personalities, infections (bacterial or viral), exposure to toxins, depression, anxiety,excessive drinking etc. The more stressors (physical or emotional), the greater the demand on the methylation cycle. All these stressors build on one another to create CFS/FM, with the genetic polymorphisms (mutations). Slow methylation negatively effects virtually every cell in the body, and cells make organs and organs make people. Poor functioning cells make poor functioning people.

DNA is methylated using S-Adenosyl methionine (SAM-e) and SAM-e is created through the methylation cycle with help from the folate cycle. There are countless connections to CFS/FM symptoms and slow methylation. MTHFR stands for methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase, which is the rate limiting enzyme in the folate cycle and 40-45% of the population have at least one MTHFR mutation and many have 2, 3, or 4 of the most common mutations.

These mutations are not a problem for the people that live a healthy low stress life. It's the poor lifestyle WITH the MTHFR mutation that causes symptoms. If most of us with CFS/FM have at least one MTHFR mutation, and I beleive we do. Than are ability to make methylfolate is reduced, causing slow or under-methylation and all it's problems. Methylfolate drives the methylation cycle, when methylfolate is low, methylation will be slow. Folic acid is useless until it is changed into methylfolate and the MTHFR mutation can reduce that change by 30-70%. Which means a methylfolate deficiency is likely and as I said foilc acid is useless until it is converted to methylfolate, the body cannot use folic acid.

My hope is that people will look into MTHFR mutations causing under-methylation and the symptoms that it causes. I have been treating poor methylation AND all of it's consequences for just over a year now, have made tremedous progress and continue to. Virtually every symptom I have has improved, some dramatically. These studies show the connection of poor methylation to atuo-immune disease. I believe poor methylation from the MTHFR mutation and poor lifestyle leads to dysbiosis, leaky gut, auto-immune diseases, mitochondrial dysfunction, and others.

All the best- Jim

Here is the link to the study titled-
    "Epigenetic alterations in autoimmune disease"

http://www.translational-medicine.com/content/9/S2/I3#B1

Here is the link to a study titled-
    "DNA methylation and autoimmune disease"
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14585278
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Good explanation, Jim! I'm glad you're staying on top of this issue. I think you're right about a lot of this. I do wonder if viruses play a role in CFS/ME. I still have not increased my folate since I detoxed so badly several weeks ago. Things kept happening and I couldn't deal with more issues, but hope to up it a little very soon --

Mary
  3. ljimbo42

ljimbo42 Member

Hi Mary- I think I know what you mean by things keep happening and you couldn't deal with more issues. I usually look for a "window" of low demands on my energy before I make any big changes in my supplementation, just in case. :)

Slow methylation and low glutathione from slow methylation causes immune system dysfunction and dormant viruses or bacteria can become reactivated. I think that's why so many of us have lyme disease, epstein barr virus, Human herpes virus 6, and many others. They become reactivated once the immune system becomes dysfunctional enough.
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Exactly. It was a confluence of events I am still recovering from: after I got over the worst of the detoxing (which took some 2 weeks), I developed a parotid gland infection. I didn't know what it was for a week or more, thought it ws a canker sore, but the pain spread to my ear and jaw. It seemed to be triggered when I bit my cheek rather hard. Anyways, then my doctor gave me an antibiotic - Clindamycin - which, unbeknownst to me, has a black box warning - argg! It made me very tired (on top of the infection already making me tired) which is when I discovered the bbw. So the Clindamycin took a week or more to recover from, and then because it made me debilitated, I got sick, a sinus strep thing which I am prone to, which I finally started taking pau d'arco for, and then that seemed to cause a rather strong herx reaction. It has literally been one thing after another. I think I'm still herxing on the pau d'arco and am going to stop it for a day and see how I do. I have not gotten my regular albeit limited energy back for over 6 weeks, since I first doubled my methylfolate and started detoxing ..... No rest for the wicked :)

But it's still on my agenda to (gradually this time) increase my methylfolate. I hope to be able to do it soon.

And I am really glad that you keep raising the issue of methylation - I am sure it is a major issue for many if not most on this board.
  5. IanH

IanH Active Member

What is the relationship between the "methylation cycle" and DNA methylation??
  6. ljimbo42

ljimbo42 Member

Hi Ian- The methylation cycle makes SAM-e from methionine and SAM-e is the primary methyl donor in the body. DNA is methylated with methyl groups from SAM-e. So if SAM-e is low, most likely DNA methylation will suffer.

The study that Rich van Konynenburg and Dr.Neil Nathan did with CFS patients showed that SAM-e levels were low. The average level of SAM-e was 218mmol/L to start in the patients, with the normal range being 221-256 mmol/L. Hope this helps.

All the best- JIm
    RadioFM likes this.