The Secret DVD reaction on Oprah today not O/T

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jarjar, Feb 15, 2007.

1. jarjar

jarjar New Member

Mikie was the one that told us about The Secret DVD last year. The Secret can be used to manifest better health among other things so I don't consider it not health related. I say that for those that think this should be O/T.

Oprah dedicated a show last week to The Secret. There was such a big response to it that today it was advertised that todays show will be about the reaction she has gotten from The Secret.

This is surprising that she is doing a second show on the topic so soon after the first. But then again it may not be so surprising if you have seen The Secret.
  2. Kazah

Kazah New Member

what did oprah do? I'm in the uk and haven't seen it - fill me in if you can be bothered

cheers

kazah
  3. jarjar

jarjar New Member

I saw the last 20 minutes of her Secret show which actually may have been 2 weeks ago.

After the show The Secret became the best seller on Amazon.

I will not be able to see todays show till late this afternoon.
  4. Kazah

Kazah New Member

Sorry I still don't quite understand...

Fill us in after the show though!!

kazah
  5. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

I hadn't seen the first, but this is what I picked up from today's show.

Gratitude and forgiveness. The two greatest things you can do for yourself.

Harmony in these areas equals true wealth:

1. financial
    2.relationships
    3. intellectual
    4.physical
    5. spiritual

Write down the things you DON"T want in your life in one column. Use this as a springboard to figure what you DO want in the other column.

Go with the flow. Figure out what is right with your life. Expect good things and they will come.

Instead of the War against Terror, the War against Drugs which are negative, rally for peace or rally for drug free.
    Perspective and attitude are the key.

Look for what is good in your life. Think about what makes you happy, imagine yourself happy, and take the necessary steps to get there.

In a nutshell,
    CherylSue
  6. jarjar

jarjar New Member

It came out as a DVD at first. Larry King did 2 episodes saying it was the best movie he had ever seen.

From what I understand the book version is out currently.
    If I had the choice I would say watch the DVD.

Their is a the secret.com website if you want to search it out.

7. gnanny

gnanny New Member

About basic things in the Secret. I watched the show but my husband was home and grandkids here so I couldnt follow as closely as I wanted. I ordered the book from Barnes and Noble and just got it.

My sister's life was night and day different from mine so I knew what she was doing was working far better than mine.
    The idea of stirring up 'energies' was hard to swallow but turned out to be the beginning of my life changing. I am a much more positive thinking person.

One thing that stuck out for me was the idea to make room in your life for new things you have to let go of old. whether this is ideas or past grudges etc.

I am looking forward to see Oprah today and reading the book to get even more out of this way of thinking.
  8. KarenZee

KarenZee New Member

So is "The Secret" like a mind over matter mindset or is it something more?

I watched Oprah's show last week. It intriqued me enough to order the DVD which I haven't received yet.

After listening to the speakers on her show it made me wonder if what they are telling us in just common sense good advice that we already know, but perhaps don't religiously apply in our life. Is there something more to "the secret" that will help us create a better life for ourselves? And why is it a secret?

When I read on the secret's website that this DVD and book are self promoted by the group of folks on her show it also made me wonder if this book is what changed all their lives by making them a fortune? I sound pessimistic I know, but I don't mean to be. I just hope the DVD id helpful and not a waste of good money. I'll be looking forward to watching the follow-up Oprah show and getting my copy of "The Secret".
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

As most of y'all know, I have dabbled in quantum physics and spirituality (they are connected) for some time. I believe "The Secret" DVD is the easiest to understand of all the resources I have read or viewed. It lays out the steps one needs for improving life. In essence, it relates that we are co-creators in our own lives. What we focus on is what manifests itself. That is why it is so important to get rid of negativity or we will just get more of it.

It has changed the way I pray and see life. This isn't just another feel-good DVD. It can produce a paradigm shift in one's life if one is open to it. There is nothing in it which should conflict with anyone's religion. I highly recommend it. I will watch or TiVo Opera today. I wish I had seen the original show.

I also recommend "What The BLEEP Do We Know." It entails more science and is more convoluted than "The Secret," but it is also an excellent DVD and book.

There is a spiritual movement going on in the world which transcends religion and culture. Most of the interest in these two DVD's has been word of mouth. Y'all can do a search here and read our old posts on both DVD's.

Love, Mikie
  10. achingbytch

achingbytch New Member

Don't take this personally anyone...The Secret is, the writer of the book is the one making money telling you there IS a secret. Is there a 'secret' to tell people who live in dire povery, illness, misery and war torn countries exploding with violence who have little food, water, shelter? This is such an american scam and only an american scam telling people that they ARE ENTITLED, to so much more then whatever they already have, if they only believe in positive things and think positive things. So is The Secret that we have FM or CFS or whatever we have because our 'thoughts' aren't cheery enough? We haven't focused clearly enough on healthy things? How DARE anyone say we 'thought' ourselves into illness, poverty or less than a perfect life. This kind of propaganda is deterimental on so many levels and though I wont get into the subject on this site, if you are remotely religious, it certainly goes against all belief to think human thoughts can change destiny, health or much else.
  11. achingbytch

achingbytch New Member

Oprah may have forgiven all the incest and abuse she's been through...I haven't forgiven the violence and emotional absence I grew up with living with an alcoholic and his enabler. We ARE who we are, survivors deeply scarred, some in more turmoil than others, some in more pain than others, but we carved from the experiences we have survived. I am no more forgiving of people who have abused me, than I am grateful to them for having committed the abuse. It is only the rage and anger within, as destructive as it may be, that has kept me alive. Why are those of us who suffer from physical and emotional pain told there is a 'secret'? Tell the abusers, and they're all around us, at home and at work, to change the way they function, maybe that the real secret for women. Demand that abuse really be confronted and stop blaming the victims.
    Wake up!
  12. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

Have you ever been thinking about something or someone and suddenly you start seeing information about what you are thinking about, or the phone rings and it's who you are thinking about? My understanding is (and this goes back to quantum physics and something to do with energy "entanglements" neither of which will I pretend to understand) that we are all made up of energy...particles, atoms...quarks...energy never disapears. It may change form, but does not disappear. The Secret basically says that even our thoughts (no matter how fleeting) are an energy form that can cause change, and acts like a magnet. What you focus on will draw in more like a magnet.

Just my understanding.

Joann
  13. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

I am going to watch this today and maybe get the DVD if it sounds good. I am definitely having trouble focusing on the good things. I really do try to. I try to think positive thoughts and when I pray I say thanks for the good things in my life.

But for some reason it isn't working. I say these things and try to think positive but it is like I am just going through the motions or something. I can't really convince myself.

All I know is that lately no matter how hard I try to stay positive all I can seem to focus on is being sick. It is like I have become obsessed with CFS and figuring it out and how to get better.

I need to start focusing on the good things in my life so this may be just what I need.

Thanks for posting!
    Pam
    [This Message was Edited on 02/16/2007]
  14. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

Your post reflected the essence of The Secret. Thanks for posting.

CherylSue
  15. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Is this just like the power of positive thinking on steroids? That concept has been around since the 1970s.

I will watch Oprah today and see if I can learn some more about it.

I don't believe in blaming the victim of illness or misfortune. And I don't believe it's healthy to try to repress emotions and paste a smile on one's face all the time. But I can get behind the concept of gratitude and thinking about the things we love.

Even with CFS, my life is a lot better than that of a refugee in a poor war-torn country. I am grateful for that.

Forebearance
  16. achingbytch

achingbytch New Member

Service! Serve others, rather than your self interests.
    Mediocrity attracts mediocrity.
    Celebrate other people's good.
    Find your passion.
    Say thank you for all the abuse you've received, its all a learning experience.
    Don't say I'm against war, say I'm FOR Peace.
    The list of cliches goes on and on...
    Religious (monotheistic) teaching not Oprah teaching:
    Monotheistic religion teaches that G-d want us to become a 'vessel' for His gifts. Each of us has a creative force simply in being born. When you're 4 yrs old & hiding under the bed as the alcoholic beats your mom and then you're pulled out with ridicule and recruited into SERVICE to undress your father & put him to bed and sing him to sleep, you've fulfilled your service, and then some.
    I want to tell each of you getting sucked into this latest nonsense, just as people got sucked into Scientology, Tony Roberts and the rest of Oprah's 'healers' nothing these latter day saints are spouting is anything different from the true basic religions most of us have grown up with. Learn your faith and practice it with a full heart and without HYPOCRISY. Remember that there is a higher power and our will and desires are heard and sometimes what we will and desire is NOT in our interests, which is why we do not receive everything we want, money, health or great joy and why suffering is genuine. There is a larger plan, it is G-ds plan and I apologize for offending anyone, but if this nonsense can be put forth, so can the true laws of the Creator.
  17. Staceymarie

Staceymarie New Member

just finished watching the second one. I do believe in what they are saying....no doubt. Visualize what you want, take steps to get it, etc.

However, when it comes to my health I have been visualizing myself to feel better for years, visualizing me working out in a gym, and walking 4 miles a day again. I even venture out and try it on my "good" days only to crash and burn with pain and fatigue for weeks after.

If anyone else finds that they can gain true health and physique through these steps (that have FM and CFS) THEN I'll beleive its a "Secret."
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

For anyone who missed it, there is a synopsis on the Oprah website. BTW, I was not the one who originally introduced this DVD here on the board but I can't remember who first mentioned it. I did download it on my computer and watched it some time ago.

I do not believe that anyone who has actually seen the DVD would believe that anyone blames people for their own illnesses nor misfortune in life. That simply isn't the message of the DVD. To the contrary, the message is that we can change the way we view the world and attract abundance into our lives, abundance of love, health, intellect, financial security, and enlightenment. There is no limit to abundance. We need not feel guilty for the abundance in our lives despite the dire circumstances in the world. We can focus on peace and abundance for the whole world.

Our thoughts are powerful bits of energy which go out into the energy field we know as the Universe. What we put out, we attract, and it comes back to us. Some call it Karma. DVD's like "The Secret" awaken our consciousness to just how powerful our thought can be. I am very happy for the producers of these resources and for Oprah for their success. Were it not for their success, we would not find out about ideas which can help us lead happier, calmer, more abundant lives, free from envy, hatred, and all sorts of self-destructive behavior. None of these people started out to make a fortune. They do what they love and they want to serve others. That they get rich is just a bonus for them. Wealth comes in many forms.

It is healthy to be skeptical and need to see for oneself; however, if we are not open to ideas, we shut ourselves off to a lot which can change our lives. We can build our own prisons and condemn ourselves to continuing our negative behavior, only to suffer the negative consequences again and again. There is an old saying in tennis--never change a winning game; always change a losing game.

I hope this DVD helps others as much as it has helped me. I hope those who condemn this DVD will at least see it with an open mind before criticizing it. Open mind is the critical idea, though, because if one continues to view the world through the filters of pain and anger, no amount of enlightenment can break through.

Love, Mikie

19. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm sorry your health has not improved. I pray that it will.

Part of the message of the DVD is one of gratitude. Not everyone who practices the ideas will become rich, healthy, etc. Sometimes miracles are that we become grateful with what we have in our lives and realize how abundant our lives already are.

Even on days, like today, when I am too tired to do anything, I thank God for my strong, healthy body and for the healing which is on its way. I am attracting health to myself. I have improved over the six years since I was first bedridden and on Morphine for pain. It has been very slow going but I am grateful for my healing and consider it a miracle that I've made the progress I've made. I've also taken the steps to help myself with research and finding docs willing to help me with treatments. It is the belief that we can achieve things which often gets us going to help ourselves.

Yes, there are people who get worse or don't get better despite doing everything they can. Even in cases like this, though, it is important to keep hope alive. I believe there will be a cure. The latest conference here in FL produced some amazing info about the research being done and the preliminary results. Don't give up.

Love, Mikie
  20. jole

jole Member

And I believe in the Secret. My brother has preached this to us for years, and it is now FINALLY making sense to me. If everyone felt and lived their lives according to the Secret, there would be no wars, no poverty, no crimes. Yes, it does sound too good to be true.

Would I still be sick? Maybe. I don't know. Is this going to cure me? I doubt it. BUT I do know if I stay positive and think of others and what I can do positively with what little time I have left, it will make a difference. No, I won't get rich, because I'm not well enough to work. But I will feel better about myself and those around me, and that is worth a lot. I can quit complaining about feeling bad, put a smile on my face and make others happy to be around me. That at least is a start.

I want my grandchildren to remember me as a loving person, not a "sick" person. What a good beginning!! Positive thoughts to all.......