the secret

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by clerty, Mar 7, 2007.

1. clerty

clerty New Member

Hi
    I am posting on here as someone was annoyed about this on the fibro board anyway I want to know what is THE SECRET that everyone is going on about I have never heard of it LOL!!! is it some type of meditation?
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

about any secret.

There was a hit song when I was a teenager. "Once I had a secret love..."

Victor Herbert had a song about "Sweet Mystery of life".
    "Ah, at last I know the secret of it all".

3. clerty

clerty New Member

On the fibro board I think it is some kind of book called
    THE SECRET!!! supposed to help with Fibro.
  4. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

is a great song......was it sung by Dinah Shore?
  5. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

I don't know either but it's going to the topic on Larry King's show tonight on CNN. If I do not forget to watch, maybe I will know tomorrow.
  6. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

The only Secret I know is antiperspirant. Strong enough for a man; made for a woman.

Seriously though, I've seen it talked about on our local news--they interviewed some psychologists. They thought it was the same self help that's been around for years that's gotten a lot of clever marketing. They also thought it was dangerous that people who have cancer said that they got cured using Secrets and didn't get treatment. That's all I've heard about it.

All the best, Erika

7. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I believe you are correct. Dinah Shore I believe made
    it a big hit. Many others sang it as well. I can hear
    her voice as we "speak".

Anyway, I know it wasn't "Tiny Tim".

I just read your Bio page and am concerned about your
    Son's illness. Anything is possible, but I've never heard
    of anybody developing CFS after a bout with Bronchitis??

Living in Washington, has he every been checked out for
    Lyme Disease? My Daughter developed it at about his age.
    Lots of people after years of being ill are diagnosed
    with it! Worth maybe looking into especially if he is
    the "outdoor" type. Best wishes to both of you!

MRDAD
  8. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I have heard of a study being done in either Minnesota or Michigan specifically for people who developed CFS after viral/respiratory causes. I would have him participate, but you have to be within driving distance to do it. That counts us out.
    I had him tested for Lyme a couple of times. They kind of laughed it off the first time, but did it under my insistence. Also had him tested for mono during the first couple of months, but it wasn't mono. He actually is much improved from where he was even 5 months ago- his brain fog has disappeared. He still gets nauseous easily, fatigued, and is REALLY sensitive to MSG....makes eating out difficult.
    Thanks for your concern- have a good day!
  9. Callum

Callum New Member

I'm not saying that Dinah didn't have a hit with it, but Doris Day sang it in the musical "Calamity Jane", and it was released as a single.

10. caffey

caffey New Member

wasn't there a tv show called I've Got a Secret.
    Cath
  11. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

12. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Gee. It sounds as if you did all the correct things to
    determine the source of your Son's illness! You're a
    good MaMa!! So glad he is doing better. I had Mono and
    had to "drop out" of Grad School for a semester and could
    also be a contributor to this late arriving illness???
    I was about 26 at the time. Awful for young People to
    have to slow down for any reason!

Hope you are having a great weekend!

Joe aka MRDAD
  13. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Bakeman has explained it. You know what they say in the advertising world: Don't sell the steak; sell the sizzle!
  14. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Yup, you pretty much got the idea. It was hyped on Oprah and like everything hyped on Oprah sold like hotcakes. Of course it's not a new concept, even the author admits that, but there are many fans, one of whom is our Mikie. It's all about energy and that what you put out in the Universe is what you get back. Thinking negatively? Thoughts have power. Envision success and it will be yours. No doubting allowed though. Act as if.

I don't suggest you begin spending money like you have it if you don't though, because your creditors may have a different secret, like debtor's prison. You can google it if you want to know more.

I have to say though that regardless of the details, positive thinking will always make life better than thinking negatively. Some on this board would do well to remember that, including me sometimes.

Marta

15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Yes, there is nothing new in "The Secret." I have been using these things for a long time to help with stress and keep myself in a more positive frame of mind. "What The BLEEP Do We Know" is a DVD and book with basically the same message. The difference is that it relies more on quantum physics and is more technical. It also delves into how our learned, knee-jerk reactions to certain triggers affect us physically. According to one researcher, we can actually become addicted to our own feelings. Sounds crazy but when you think about it, Drama Queens thrive on the stress and drama they create in their own lives and in the lives of others. If there is no drama, they will create it. I did respond about CBT under that post about the article on CBT and stress.

I am rereading Deepak Chopra's, "The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success." It is a small book, smaller than "The Secret." It is a wonderful read for anyone who is interested in this topic. I have read it over and over and still get so much from it every time.

Love, Mikie