The Shake, the disaster

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by morningsonshine, Feb 18, 2006.

1. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Well yesterday i tried making Stormyskye's Shake.

Needles to say, i was tired and grouchy, and the whole thing didn't go over very well.

I finally got everything together, and then realized, that the whey protein in the shake, is different then what Mikie talks about that has to be taken alone.

But, i thought i might as well go for it cause i had everything. First off, i had a hard time getting my nose past the smell of the sweet whey protein. I use to take care of the baby dairy calves as a kid, and this stuff smells just like calf milk replacer!! (flash backs!)LOL

Then my blender was taking forever to chop up the apple, cause they were on top of this thick stuff, and wouldn't go down. GRRRRR

I also thought i would add some extras, cause it really didn't seem like that many ingredience. I put in some plain yogurt and apple juice, and honey.
    Well guess what, i ended up with about 2 and half cups of brown goup! I ate about 2/3 of it, but then, couldn't make myself take another bite. My 6 year old ate about 6 bite, and said i could have it back. Yuck!

Well, i don't know if there is any connection, because i've been tired and hurting, but, about 4:30 i get like this intant head cold feeling, throat felt thick. Then i get the ear ache and soar throat. By 9:00 i'm in bed and hurting all over, from the top of my head to toes. A deep achy feeling that moves around all over. The jaw point are so tender i can't even touch them.

This morning i feel pretty much like my normal tired self with just mostly hand and feet hurting. I was stuffed up and had alot of sinus drainage.

I went ahead and tried the Shake again this morning, just sticking to the 4 basic ingredience, but i only used a teaspoon of everything. It still made ALOT, my apples must be extra large! It's more than i want at one time, and i have a hard time getting past the strong molassas flavor.
    (my molassas is organic black strap)
    The apple thing in the blender still drives me crazy!!
    My blender must suck!

Conclusion, i don't think i can handle this everymorning, it just hard to get it down! I think i would rather break this stuff up and eat it separately. And it's too much at one time for me.
    I would rather just eat the apple and almonds. Then add my flax and whey to something else during the day.
    I don't feel i'm out, because, i've been meaning to buy whole flax and a grinder for along time. I can always add it to a regular fruit shake, which i love.
    As far as the molasses goes, i already drink raw apple cider vinegar with honey, that too, has alot of trace minerals.

Just my experience, is there any reason this stuff must be taken all together?
  2. SherylD

SherylD Guest

Sounds like you had a heck of a time...LOL

I make 4 shakes every night before I go to bed..I store them in the fridge...

I make my kids with...1 apple..a hand full of frozed strawberries..1/2 of a banana..big scope of plain natural yogurt..little water..blend that up first..then add the flax..whey..molasses..and then blend that really good..put it in a cup with a straw..they just eat the almonds..

For me and my husband..I put the apples in with a little water...the blend that up..then add the other ingred..Plus a little cinnamon...and sometimes I add a pear..blend that up good..we eat ours with a spoon..

For me..I make me a bowl of oatmeal and bump the shake on top..Its just like apple cinn oatmeal..

It takes a while to get it figured out..I would just start out with the basics and the add from there..

But you could eat the ingred.in other things..but I think you should do it all in the morning. Not though out the day..IT helps best with sleep that way..

Good luck..Don't give up on it to soon..It really does wonders..I give it to my whole family..And it is great what it has done for us..

SherylD
  3. morningsonshine

Thanks, for the encoragement, think i will play around alittle. I really do need the sleep and balancing of brain benefit that stormy talks about.
    The one you make for your kids sounds alot better too me.
    I could always eat an apple as a snack alittle later.

I tried the oatmeal thing today, but my shake was way larger than my serving of oatmeal, so i ate most of it first. Then mixed some with oatmeal, it was okay, but too much food at one time for me.
    Also, i'm not a great fan of oatmeal. It's my sick food, for when i know i have to eat, but really don't want to.
    And, then i tend to eat it with butter and salt, instead of milk and sugar, or fruit.
    My favorite breakfast is whole grain toast, with real peanut butter, topped with bananas. I could easily sprinkle flax on that.
    Oh well, i'll have to keep working on this, i know i would rather eat my apple then drink it!LOL
  4. SherylD

SherylD Guest

When I make the kids smoothie..I put the apple in it..You don't even know it is in there...

Just try it!! :)

You really need to have it all in the morning..
  5. morningsonshine

I'll give it another try tommorrow, what the heck it can't get any worse! Tee Hee!

I'll let you know!

I have that achy flu feeling today, (my butt hurts!)
    But my head is actually fine and clear.

I use Braebrun apples, they are my favorite, But they are HUGE, gala's my second. And sometimes we can find these really great apples called Pink Ladies.

[This Message was Edited on 02/18/2006]
  6. SherylD

SherylD Guest

I buy my apples in the bags...they are much smaller..It does make a lot with a big apple..just use half of a big apple..

Good luck tomorrow..
  7. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

I know it sounds nutty but I just eat the molasses out of a spoon. I like the strong flavor that way but just cannot stomach it in the shake! I also cut up the apple in small chunks and add a bit of rice milk and blueberries to make it blend better.

Gretchen
  8. morningsonshine

Hi, I think i agree with you, i can handle the molasses straight, but not mixed in.
    So, how long have you been doing the shake, and is it making a difference?
    My youngest boy use to call me his "purple frog princess" when he was 4. Your name makes me think of that.

[This Message was Edited on 02/18/2006]
  9. morningsonshine

Thanks for asking, was just going to post.

Much better, i actually enjoyed it. I followed your suggestions and used half an apple and a big handful of blueberries, I drizzled some of the molasses in, but then just stuck the spoon in my mouth!

Tasted much better,and made only alittle over a cup.
    I still only used a rounded teaspoon of everything, until this head cold thing clears up.
    I don't know if this can cause a healing crisis or not?

I also added in my powdered probiotics, is that okay?

I want thank Sheryld too, if the two of you hadn't encouraged me, i think i wouldn't have tried again.
    Just curious, how well dose this stuff keep in the fridge over night? Doesn't it get kinda brown and slimey?

I'll let you know if i feel any benefits.

One more Question, what do you do when you have to go somewhere? Or if you don't have time in morning once in awhile, because of an early destination?
  10. morningsonshine

11. SherylD

SherylD Guest

So glad that it went better this morning!!

It keeps fine in the fridge..I do it all the time. You would never know the difference..

Put it in a togo cup..That is what my husband does.

Let us know when you start to feel stuff from it..I noticed in about a week..

But you said you are only putting a tsp of stuff in?? Of everything or just the molasses??

Have a good day!
  12. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

Hi and yes I think it helps a bit. I haven't been doing it long but it doesn't seem to mess up my blood sugar and it sure is filling! My sleep has been pretty good too.

I love 'purple frog princess' - where did that come from? Aren't kids great? They come up with the best stuff!

Gretchen
  13. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

Oh yeah! I meant to say that we had a small dairy when I was growing up and the smell gave me a flashback too, but a good one. I would give a lot to be 'back on the farm'! No more milking bovines though!!!!