The Side Effects of Calcium Supplements You Wouldn’t Expect

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by Alexis20, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Alexis20

Alexis20 Member

There are a number of calcium side effects that are seen when people take this supplement. While these calcium side effects may not be alarming, consumer should still be aware of them. The side effects of calcium supplements can include: constipation and upset stomach. Additionally, more serious calcium side effects can include: nausea/vomiting, loss of appetite, unusual weight loss, mental/mood changes, bone/muscle pain, headaches, increased thirst/urination, weakness and fatigue. Allergic reactions can also be included in the list of calcium side effects.
  2. lilly9me

lilly9me Member

I would like to add some precautions:
    • Calcium should be avoided if you have parathyroid gland disorders and sarcoidosis.
    • Calcium and phosphate have to be in balance in the body. Taking too much calcium can throw this balance off and cause harm. Don’t take extra calcium without your health provider’s supervision.
    • Calcium can interfere with thyroid hormone replacement treatment. Separate calcium and thyroid medications by at least 4 hours.
    • Calcium supplementation can increase the risk of having too much calcium in the blood in people with poor kidney function.