The spleen.

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by nyssagirl, Jun 11, 2007.

1. nyssagirl

nyssagirl New Member

Does anyone know if Lyme's can effect the spleen?
    Thanks,
    Lynda
  2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Don't know for sure, but I believe Lyme can affect any part of our body. Try a google search.

dar
  3. munch1958

munch1958 Member

I have an enlarged spleen. Not sure what is causing it in my case since I have biopsy proven sarcoidosis, high EBV titers, candida, chlamydia pneumonia and Lyme Borrelia.

I've been treated for a rare form of bone marrow cancer called polycythemia vera (PV). A big spleen is the deciding factor in the PV diagnosis algorithm.

From: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003276.htm

Here is a list of common causes:
    Infections
    Infectious mononucleosis (EBV or CMV)
    Other viral infections
    Parasitic infections
    Cat scratch disease
    Bacterial infections
    Diseases involving the liver
    Cirrhosis (portal vein obstruction, portal hypertension)
    Sclerosing cholangitis
    Wilson's disease
    Biliary atresia
    Cystic fibrosis
    Hemolytic anemias
    Thalassemia
    Hemoglobinopathies
    Hemolytic anemia due to G6PD deficiency
    Idiopathic autoimmune hemolytic anemia
    Immune hemolytic anemia
    Cancer
    Leukemia
    Lymphoma
    Hodgkin's disease
    Other causes
    Sarcoidosis
    Sickle cell splenic crisis
    Felty syndrome

According to Lymenet (see other organs):
    http://library.lymenet.org/domino/file.nsf/bbf2f15334c1f28585256613000317cc/eee9f15bfb66a105852567c700120022?OpenDocument

SYMPTOMS

Lyme disease is called the "Great Imitator" because it can mimic many other diseases, which makes diagnosis difficult. A rash can appear several days after infection, or not at all. It can last a few hours or up to several weeks. The rash can be very small or very large (up to twelve inches across). A "bullseye" rash is the hallmark of LD. It is a round ring with central clearing. Unfortunately, this is not the only rash associated with Lyme. Various other rashes associated with LD have been reported. One bite can cause multiple rashes. The rash can mimic such skin problems as hives, eczema, sunburn, poison ivy, flea bites, etc. The rash can itch or feel hot or may not be felt at all. The rash can disappear and return several weeks later. For those with dark skin the rash will look like a bruise. If you notice a rash, take a picture of it. Some physicians require evidence of a rash before prescribing treatment.

Early Symptoms: Several days or weeks after a bite from an infected tick, a patient usually experiences "flu-like" symptoms such as aches and pains in their muscles and joints, low grade fever, and/or fatigue.

Other Possible Symptoms -- No organ is spared:

Jaw -- pain, difficulty chewing
    Bladder -- frequent or painful urination, repeated "urinary tract infection"
    Lung -- respiratory infection, cough, asthma, pneumonia
    Ear -- pain, hearing loss, ringing, sensitivity to noise
    Eyes -- pain due to inflammation, sensitivity to light, scleritis drooping of eyelid, conjunctivitis, blurring or double vision
    Throat -- sore throat, swollen glands, cough, hoarseness, difficulty swallowing
    Neurological -- headaches, facial paralysis, seizures, meningitis, stiff neck, burning, tingling, or prickling sensations, loss of reflexes, loss of coordination, MS like syndrome
    Stomach -- pain, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, anorexia
    Heart -- weakness, dizziness, irregular heart-beat, myocarditis, pericarditis, palpitations, heart block, enlarged heart, fainting, inflammation of muscle or membrane, shortness of breath, chest pain
    Joint -- arthralgias or arthritis, muscle inflammation and pain
    Other Organs -- liver infection, elevated liver enzymes, enlarged spleen, swollen testicles, irregular or ceased menses
    Neuropsychiatric -- mood swings, irritability, poor concentration, cognitive loss, memory loss, loss of appetite, mental deterioration, depression, disorientation, sleep disturbance
    Pregnancy -- miscarriage, premature birth, birth defects, stillbirth
    Skin -- single or multiple rash, hives
    The above is a list of possible symptoms. They can occur in any combination. You may have one or several symptoms but not everyone will experience every symptom. Lyme affects each host in a different way. Having one or many of these symptoms does not indicate that you have Lyme disease. Diagnosis for Lyme is a clinical one and must be made by a physician experienced in recognizing LD. Serological testing is not reliable (See section on Testing).
  4. nyssagirl

nyssagirl New Member

Thank you so much for the reply. The reason I am wondering is where my Lyme's is killing me and has for years, is in my left rib cage. It is so sore, I can hardly stand it. I was reading about problems with the spleen and that is one of the symptoms. How did you discover yours? I asked one Doctor I went to, what was in there that could hurt so bad and he said the spleen, but didn't offer any suggestions about finding out about it. I am curious about your symptoms and how they check for it.
    I was diagnosed with Lyme's last year. I haven't found much relief. I am on my second round of Bicillin shots. Hurting like the devil. I am taking an anti-inflammatory and Neurontin for pain. I just started on the Relafen three days ago, I think it takes a while to work, but the two of them seem to be helping so far.
    Are you on a treatment for Lyme's.
    I always pray for all of you everynight. I don't want you to hurt, I really care and I wish all of you the best.
    Hugs,
    Nyssagirl
  5. munch1958

munch1958 Member

My hematologist ordered a CT because I had a lump on my right side. That turned out to be a hernia which I had surgically repaired.

They did find an enlarged spleen during the CT scan. When that flares up it feels like a stitch in my side from running. I am NEVER hungry because it presses on my stomach and I feel full.

Spleen pain is a few inches BELOW the rib cage not IN it.
    I had costochondritis and my ribs were sore along the center where the ribs meet the sternum and also along both sides of the rib cage.

I'm allergic to penicilin so I can't take Bicillin shots. I had a very hard time getting a diagnosis of Lyme. Someone on the other board mentioned that they were seeing the same FFC doc that I was and couldn't even get a Lyme test. That was a turning point in my treatment.

Are you seeing a LLMD? A cyst buster needs to be added to break up Bb cysts. The spirochetes convert into cysts when conditions are unfavorable in the body (like when you're on ABX). They just reappear when you stop taking ABX. I'm on Flagyl + Zithromax and Diflucan + Nystatin + probiotics.[This Message was Edited on 06/13/2007]
  6. nyssagirl

nyssagirl New Member

I am seeing a naturopath in Tigard, Or. for my Lyme's. I was driving clear to Calif. to a LLMD, but it was just too far, so he referred me to this naturopath. She seems to know what she is doing.
    I had a scan and they found cysts, but someone on this site told me the cysts are too small to show up on an MRI.
    So far, this time I have had four Bicillin shots, and am having trouble with the insurance. They only want to pay for six shots every three months, that isn't enough and I can't afford them otherwise.
    What state are you in? Do you have an LLMD to go to there. We don't have one around here.
    Good luck to you and thanks for the reply!
    Lynda
  7. LSM

LSM New Member

Hi Munch,
    In your previous post (above, 6-12-07), you stated that you have biopsy proven sarcoidosis. If so, then you really need to know about the Marshall Protocol (MP) for treating your sarcoidosis.

The good news is that the MP is equally effective for Lyme disease also. However, the MP is a very difficult therapy program to follow, especially during the first several months, so it is very important to understand it thoroughly before making the decision to try it.

I haven't figured out how to post links at this message board yet -- at least not links in a user-friendly format so that they are "clickable". However, you might try doing a Google search for: site:marshallprotocol.com If that doesn't work, then JarJar, who is also a member of this ProHealth board, will know how to help you locate it.

Our daughter's story of her amazing recovery from Lyme disease by means of the MP is available here at the ProHealth website if you use the search function at this website to look for it. (Search term: Marshall Protocol; Dateline - 11/22/06) I'll be glad to help you learn about the MP if you wish to contact me privately, but again, I haven't figured out how this message board works yet, so I don't know how to suggest that you get in touch with me privately.
  8. munch1958

munch1958 Member

I see an LLMD in another state. I don't mind traveling to see an expert doctor. I learned that was necessary years ago when I was dealing with endometriosis. Just because I have an illness I don't expect the best doctor to be at my fingertips.

My LLMD told me the cysts are too small to be seen on CT scans or MRI too. I tend to get cysts (kidney, finger, liver, ovaries).

I'm on long term antibiotics and have improved a great deal. Last year, I was on Minocin. If you look at some of the posts on the chronic fatigue/fibro board and my profile you can read about the other things I've tried. I didn't see anything in your profile.
  9. munch1958

munch1958 Member

I appreciate your thoughts on sending me info on the MP. I throughly researched it and rejected it many years ago. So did 3 of my doctors. While it may work for some I don't think it's for me. I've got too many other co-factors to consider.

Furthermore, the science behind it does not make sense. It goes against my gut instincts. I had blood tests which indicate that I have a vitamin D deficiency. I have chosen to supplement with MORE vitamin D.

Studies show the active version of the vitamin prevents Lyme arthritis. I feel much better in sunlight and worse on dreary days. I am not about to live in a cave nor give up foods that contain vitamin D. The MP has never been accepted for publication in any medical journal.

Here are some of the risks:
    http://lassesen.com/cfids/MarshallProtocolRisks.htm