The Titanic is still making news

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, May 5, 2009.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

It's almost a century since the Titanic sank, but new discoveries are still being made.

A few years ago divers discovered 250 cases in the cargo area. Checking the still
    existing records of the White Star Line, they have determined it was a shipment from
    Hellmann's parent company, British-Indian Import LTD.

After docking in New York, the Titanic was to sail south to Veracruz and deliver the new
    French sauce called mayonnaise. When the upper class found out the new blanco
    sauce had sunk, a terrible sense of gloom fell over the city. A day of mourning was
    declared which is still observed today.

Sinko de Mayo.

(I feel it is my duty to post this bit of history every year at this time.)
  2. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Thanks for making me laugh! Sinko de Mayo! Too funny!!!

History fascinates me, but not the dry history in the textbooks. I like the real-people, street-level history.

(PS: Yes I get that it was a joke, & not historically accurate.)[This Message was Edited on 05/05/2009]
  3. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

And all the belongings that were found at the wreck went to the company. It makes legal sense because the company paid a tremendous sum for finding the wreck and locating and bringing up what they could find. But it was probably hard on some of the people to know that perhaps their family's belongings were ultimately found and they would not have them.
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Thank you for that little tidbit. I love trivia.

OMG!!! I just got what you wrote when I was checking for spelling errors.

My post was going to ask you is they found Leonardo DiCrapio eating a white bread and Mayo sandwich.
    Somwhow I missed the other posts.

Darn, you got me.

[This Message was Edited on 05/05/2009]
  5. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

Rock, that really hit my funny bone for some reason!!!

U crack me up! ;D
  6. rockgor

Somebody e mailed me this little joke 3-4 years ago. I post it every year, but
    sometimes forget to do it on the appropriate day.

I looked up White Star Lines, the owner of the Titanic. During the great
    depression it merged with Cunard. Later it became part of a huge corporation
    that owns Carnival Cruise ships.

Wonder if people out on the briny deep having a "boat full of fun" would be
    uneasy if they knew the Titanic disaster was lurking in the past.

I don't know, but I suspect one is more likely to come down with food poisoning
    on a cruise than go down with the ship.

Only yesterday I used Hellmann's mayonnaise to make tuna salad.

7. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

It was 20/20 or Dateline NBC that did a really scary expose about the dangers of cruise ships. I'm not gonna be getting on one!

(I don't like mayo, myself. haha)

8. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I was waiting to see if you would post this again, Rock.....glad you didn't disappoint!
  9. rockgor

Haven't heard from you for a while. Hope you're doing ok.

I am thinking of moving north. Not so far as Alaska, but maybe to N. California.
    I read they get about 2 inches of snow. That's for the entire winter. Smiling
    out loud.