The vacation from Hell need your input

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kay31, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Kay31

Kay31 Member

Just returned from two really awful weeks in Florida. I was in the midst of a CFS flare and decided that maybe the change would help.

The fact that I couldn't sleep more than 2 hours max - had to drug myself up with 3 Xanax per day plus Ambien to keep going only added to my anxiety. My traveling buddies can't seem to absorb how difficult it is to navigate without sleep. They could sleep with a train rambling thru the house.

I've been traveling with them for several years. One of them has a somewhat "toxic" personality...given to angry outbursts - which didn't help. I, of course, was part of the problem. Just couldn't be my "ha ha" self. They said I worry ahead of time that I won't be able to do things. Yup, guilty as charged.

Now, back to the sleep issue. Ambien and Xanax just don't work for me any more. Dr. has me on Neurontin or Amy to see if this works. I took myself off the Amy about 6 mos. ago because of the weight issue. Have any of you been thru this misery and found something that helps with sleep? I am so alert at bedtime that I feel as if I've been shot out of a cannon....ready for combat.

I guess I feel like the Ambien has run its course with me.
    Sorry to ramble on so, but the lack of sleep has made me a zombie. Took two Neurontins last night and felt like I was in a coma this morning.
    [This Message was Edited on 04/06/2007]
  2. momof471

momof471 New Member

sorry about your vacation. We were in Florida in December, I kept praying for it to be over. I really discovered how bad I am, being put in that situation! I'm sorry you are having problem wiht sleep. The sleep meds didn't last long for me. I began Amtriptaline in December, helped until I had a trial of Xanax XR, now I'm back in the same boat as well. I try reading, that can make me sleepy, I used to love to read, now with eye issues due to fibro all it does is wear me out. It sometimes help to practice my deep breathing while trying to go to sleep. I'd talk to my doc though and let them know you are having sleep issues.

God Bless
  3. Kay31

Kay31 Member

Thanks for helping to calm my frazzed nerves.
  4. Engel

Engel New Member

Sorry you had a bad time. I was trapped on a cruise ship for most of it. I have ended all communications with my evil sisters because of it. If I ever travel again (which is doubtful) I will travel alone.
  5. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

Vacations take on a whole new meaning to us now, don't they?? Ü Here it is the beginning of April, and I'm still recuperating from a long weekend trip with a friend in the beginning of November!!

Mine worked out fine though ~ she was on a business trip, I just went along with her, so I was pretty much on my own and could keep my own pace ~ which I did ~ a snail's pace, of course.

I had a good time ~ paid dearly for it though. The fact that I travelled along with a friend, a very understanding friend, thank GOD, meant I had someone to navigate me thru tha airports and do the driving. But even with everything going about as perfectly as possible, I still crashed badly when I came back home.

Would I do it again? Probably. Ü These circumstances were perfect for me, and I got to stay at a beautiful mountain resort for a much discounted fee. I feel miserable all the time, why not throw in a bit of diversion once a year or so?

mar