The weather

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by colorfulcolorado, Aug 4, 2008.

1. colorfulcolorado

colorfulcolorado New Member

I recently went on a trip to New Mexico and felt horrible everywhere else but the White Sands desert. I felt really good, but also when I visit Missouri I feel ok and I think that is because of the lower elevation. Anyone with any info on dry weather verses humidity, high, and low elevations. My doctor said I might feel better in the desert, but I know of people in AZ that have FM and they still feel crappy. Your input is appreciated.
  2. Khalyal

Khalyal New Member

The high desert is where I feel the best. For me, mold avoidance has been the key to getting better. We recently moved from a very moldy town (floods last year, FEMA dragging their feet) to Albuquerque because I always feel better here.

Albuquerque is like a giant bowl. The city itself is inside the bowl, but we live on the rim of the bowl at higher elevation and with the desert at our feet. When I go down into Albuquerque I'm more likely to run into a mold plume, but here on the edge it seems to be rare.

Every once in a while the wind will blow something in that makes me sick. When that happens, I go inside immediately through the laundry room, make a pitstop and shed all of my clothes into a hot water load, go take a hot shower and go to bed for a bit. It seems to work.

The lack of humidity and the elevation in a high-desert climate are not conducive to mold spores. With building going up all over the place, it's not to say it can't happen. But it's much less likely.
  3. homesheba

homesheba New Member

it is always humid-
    except for some days in winter i think.... ugh.
    it is bad for the bones .
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Hi there -
    I'm in Colorado also! I went to Las Vegas in 112 heat- felt GREAT. I would not/do not do well in humidity. My opinion (and it's only an opinion) is that short term visits you might feel better because of the change, but your body probably gets used to it. If you look at where people live and post from, it seems that it effects everyone from all different places.
  5. TropicalGirl

TropicalGirl New Member

I don't know about feeling better in the desert...maybe it is because I am just used to the heat since I was born and raised here. I don't feel any better living here, I feel crappy all of the time. I hurt really bad when the "high pressure" roles in and brings the heat, (which is ALL of the time).

I actually feel better when I leave town and go someplace where the temperatures are in the 80's and there is some humidity. I never seem to hurt then.

Unfortunately, I am stuck in Phoenix forever, I think. Bummer....

Love to you all,

Tropical Girl
  6. colorfulcolorado

colorfulcolorado New Member

Thanks for everyone's must have been just a change in elevation and weather etc. I had hopes but its true everyones in pain everywhere or we'd all be leaving in the same place! LOL
  7. landra

landra New Member

this was before my chronic fatigue. I grew up in albuquerque, then went to the Bay Area in CA. I was fine in their drought but when their regular rains started, there was mold everywhere.

Hi, Kahlyal!

I've only been diagnosed with CFS for a year and too tired to travel so cannot really address that. But heat seems to be sapping me a lot!!
  8. landra

landra New Member

I know that allergies will set off a CFS flare.

I would rate Phoenix AZ as humid by the way. Just my 2 cents worth!