The woes of Magnesium!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kay31, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Kay31

Kay31 Member

Guess I saifd it all above, but I know how important magnesium is for this DD, but whenever I pick up a supp with mag in it, I find that my "toilet" has become my best friend!

I know I've written about this before; suggestions were made to take it at intervals during the day (this didn't solve the problem). Does anyone know which mag supp would not have a laxatative component?

2. elliespad

elliespad Member

You might try Magnesium Glycinate or Magnesium Taurate. I have used MagGlycinate and it is less of a problem that way.
  3. layla1954

layla1954 New Member

I've used chelates with good results, but that can get pricey. Now I'm taking magnesium malate (space out the dosage over the day), I get the Mg and malic acid too that way - and no diarrhea!

Good luck,
    Lee Ann
  4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

You could try soaking in Epsom salts. They are loaded with magnesium sulfate and will absorb through your skin.
  5. turquoise

turquoise Member

The only form of magnesium I have found I tolerate long-term, g.i. and otherwise is Cardiovascular Research Labs. Magnesium Taurate. Start with one 125 mg. capsule. The maximum recommended dose on the bottle is 250 mg.

6. toddm

toddm New Member

I thought most of has the opposite problem, I have grastic delay. My transit time is 120 hours, I was hoping for more movement from the magnesium I take. I'm taking 800 mg twice a day, and see no change at all. Do many other have the motility problems?
  7. toddm

toddm New Member

Thanks for the info, I'll search on Slaya's posts. I was just dx this past February with dysautonomia so it explains things with the slow motility. The strange part of this is the malabsorption even with everything spending extra time in the small intestine. 120 hours sounds bad but it's really at the low end of real problems. There are so many others with way longer times, it's all relative but I'm always interested new ideas to help things.
  8. Wow I tried again to take magnesium and omg I was afraid to not be near a bathroom !
  9. Kay31

Kay31 Member

Thanks to all of you for replying to my "toilet" issues!!

Until I got CFS about 10 years ago, I was constantly constipated. It was a way of life for me and I always kept magazines in the "john" hoping that time and relaxatlion would do the trick.

When I saw Dr. Lapp in NC, he stressed the importance of magnesium. I never realized that the magnesium (oxide) in my multi vitamins would cause me such problems. Hey, when I went through menopause, I was so happy not to have to wear sanitary napkins again; guess what, I wear them again!!

Anyhow, thanks to all of you for replying. I'll try some other form of mag and see what happens.