The worst pain I've ever had.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dani78xo, Oct 23, 2008.

1. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

So this is my first year in college, and so far I've done fine. It's much, much easier to get through a few hour-long classes a day than a constant seven-hour block of classes. I can take naps when I need to; I'm really happy.

I've been in some pain lately, though, and I think it's because it's been absolutely freezing out (it's not even november and we already have frost). Yesterday I had the worst day I've had in the three years I've been sick.

I got about 7 and a half hours of sleep, more than I usually get (which is six at maximum), so it wasn't from lack of sleep, but at around noon, I started really crashing. I got really tired, and when I took the shuttle back after class to the other campus (where my dorm is), I could barely drag myself upstairs. I had another class an hour later, but I couldn't make it.

As soon as I got in the house, I went downhill fast. My entire body felt like lead, and I was physically and mentally exhausted. The fatigue was preferable to the pain, though, which was the worst I've ever had from FM. I decided I couldn't go to class, because it was excruciating just walking across the room, so I tried to go to sleep.

I ended up crying for half an hour because the pain was so unbearable. I couldn't get in a position that didn't hurt. Usually it's just my knees that hurt, but my shins hurt, my ankles hurt, my arms felt like I'd strained the muscles, EVERYTHING hurt. I finally got to sleep after a while, but when I woke up, I didn't feel any better.

I did end up dragging myself to my 6:00 lab, but I felt sick the entire night.

What do you take for pain? I can't take narcotics, and I don't want to (I'm allergic to demerol, so I'm probably allergic to a few others, and the ones I've taken over the past few years for various things that I'm not allergic to have only caused some really severe reactions).

Antidepressants typically don't work for me, and seeing how I've finally lost the forty pounds they made me gain the first year, I'm not willing to try them again (cymbalta eventually, maybe, because that really did help). Advil doesn't touch my pain.

What else is there? I've heard some good stories about Ultram (I've heard that's kind of grouped with the narcotics, but it's a non-narcotic), though my mom (who also has FM) says it never really helped her.

So what does everyone take for pain? Is there really any other option other than narcotics or antidepressants?

2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

The one thing I take twice daily for muscle and body aches kind of pain is a Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc supplement. Mine is a cheap store brand but does wonders (after awhile) for this type of pain. We're all deficient in magnesium but it needs to be in balanced form with calcium to work well in our bodies.

Mine is 999gm Calcium/399mg Magnesium/ 15mg Zinc and I take it twice daily. Magnesium is a known to help our muscles relax. There's a wonderful book called, "The Miracle of Magnesium"....find a copy and check it out.

I do take Tramadol for pain that won't let me sleep but I rarely ever need it.

3. mujuer

mujuer New Member

I'm so sorry you are feeling this way. I hate that feeling when you feel like someone poured cement in your body. You are such a trooper though having this dd and still going to school. I just can't imagine. You know, I have tried just about everything they have thrown at me and like you, I haven't tolerated very many of the drugs. Ultram was the worst for me and acted like a narcotic in my system but that is just me.

The only thing that has worked for me is a muscle relaxer. I take Cyclobenzeprine. I can take a half of my pill and still function unless the pain is supper bad then I take a full one. I will take one and get into my bathtub. This is such a super quick way to get rid of the pain and my mother of all people taught me this. I don't know why but the water immediately stops the spasms and pain. This allows time for the pill to work. If you are at school though you need something to stop the pain and still function. Talk to your Dr. about this. He might start you on Robaxin which is a light muscle relaxer. This wasn't strong enough for me but the Cyclobenzeprine which is generic for Flexeril has been a life saver. Let us know what happens. We are routing for ya'. P
  4. kellyann

kellyann New Member

Have you tried methadone? It is a good pain reliever. Ask your doctor, it might be the answer for you. It helps a great deal with pain and is not a narcotic. It might make you sleepy, but you get used to it and it beats being in so much pain.

I hope this helps.

5. cordy250

cordy250 Member

but have you considered that you might actually be sick with a virus or something?

We tend to blame everything on the fibro but sometimes we actually have something that will get better. Have you taken your temp?

I have had viruses that sound very much like your symptoms and the rather sudden onset really makes me wonder.
  6. akalil

akalil New Member

Dani -
    I don't have much as far as pain suggestion goes - but I read your post, and realized we're a lot alike. I've never met someone else my age with FM or CFS - I'm just twenty, and in my third year at university. No one else I've talked to knows what it's like to be college-age and suffering this kind of pain. How long have you had a diagnosis? What are your coping strategies for making it through long days at school? I've just been diagnosed within the last six months (suffering longer than that) and am eager to talk to someone in a similar situation.
  7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Ultram works very well for me. Narcotics do not.

I hope you find some pain relief soon. I know exactly what you are talking about.

Do you have a physician near your school who knows about FM?

Zoloft has also helped but it sounds like ADs are problematic for you?

I also take Provigil for the tiredness and that seems to help a bit with the pain but then so does Klonepin. Go figure!!

I need between nine and ten hours of sleep for my pain. Increasing the time you sleep or taking a nap in the afternoon might help.

Kudos to you and Akalli for going to school with this DD. I do not know how you do it.

It can be so frustrating that what helps one person does not necessarily help another.

Hang in there.
  8. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

Mujuer- are muscle relaxants controlled substances? The doctors I've seen tend to sway towards things like antidepressants because of my age (or just things like advil, which have neverr worked for me). Are they addictive at all?
  9. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

I know that I'm not sick. It's been like this for two weeks, and otherwise I feel fine. I can tell it's an FM flareup. I don't have a fever or anything else, and I haven't been around anyone who's sick. It's just that it's the worst flare I've ever had.
  10. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

Akalil -
    I've been sick since October '05, and I've been diagnosed since January '06. It didn't take long, because I was homebound after I got sick and everyone was frantic to get me back in school. In terms of high school, I really didn't cope. I made myself sick all the time because I overworked myself. I didn't have the energy to get through 7 hours of nonstop classes, so I took concerta which got me through the day, but I always felt worse after it wore off because I'd done too much without realizing it.

In college, my classes are spread out throughout the day, and I don't have any seven-hour days. I do take naps in the afternoon sometimes, but taking one for too long always makes me feel worse. The worst part is just the three hour night class I have. It's awfully hard to stay awake and alert, even if I'll just go back to my dorm and NOT be able to sleep.

It's definitely hard to be sick in college, but I've got some friends (both from home and new) that really support me. I've been hiding this increase in pain, though. I don't want people to get freaked out about it if they realize just how sick I am; it even freaks me out, because I've never had this much pain.

So it's really a constant struggle, but I figure once I graduate I'll be really happy that I got through.