TheCuriousCat - Recovery from ME/CFS?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DrNicolson, Sep 13, 2010.

1. DrNicolson

DrNicolson New Member

TheCuriousCat - Recovery from ME/CFS?

In your experience, does anyone (or what percent) essentially recover from ME/CFS (not just temporary remission)? If so, any general key Bruce Campbell (CFIDS & Fibromyalgia Self-Help), Leonard Jason, and Martin Pall are three 'fortunate ones' I've read about who think they have overcome it.

Reply:

Although I don’t know if the actual percent recovery from CFS has ever been carefully determined (often this is subjective and not based on a clinical determination), but patients do recover and go on to lead normal lives. The reasons that some patients recover and other do not may depend on many individual circumstances that can’t be easily discussed here, but in general, those patients who have milder disease symptoms do better in terms of recovery than those who have more severe symptoms. There may be a number of factors behind this, including differences in genetics and individual immune systems, exposures to environmental toxins and chemicals, various infections, diet, lifestyle, mental stressors, etc. The recovered patients that I know of were generally very aware of the multi-factorial nature of their illness and the various factors and treatments involved in overcoming the illness. Importantly, they all had a very positive outlook and kept improving their general health in various ways. There are no magic bullets out there, and the recovery process is painfully slow and has it ups and downs along the way. One thing is certain—patients that give up on ever getting better never seem to recover.

[This Message was Edited on 09/14/2010]
  2. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

Thanks for mentioning this:

"The recovered patients that I know of were generally very aware of the multi-factorial nature of their illness and the various factors and treatments involved in overcoming the illness."

I think this is a major point that is sometimes overlooked or not understood.