Theracane alternative?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HobieCat, Jul 18, 2003.

1. HobieCat

HobieCat New Member

Hello All, my mom has FM and has been using a theracane for a few years and getting releif. But now she has a problem with upper body strength and she can't use the theracane effectively.

Does anybody know of a device or method that will take care of this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Hobie
  2. Mrs. B

Mrs. B New Member

book but, didn't buy a theracane. I use a rubber ball in a long sock against a hard back chair, a long handled rolling pin and a back scratcher that has massage knobs on it against the wall or a hard chair. hope some of this helps.

Lisa
  3. HobieCat

HobieCat New Member

Thanks Lisa, I will suggest your method and see if that works.

Bek, we have tried to offer help but she is quite independent and likes to do everything herself, I think it is mainly a control issue;-) That's the reason I think she likes the self massage tools, she says all the therapists(and me) don't do it right, and she likes to do it her way. What can you do, bless her heart. And she is quite able and relatively young, she just has an injury and so she doesn't have all her strength for a while.

I've been poking around today and found a thing called a Pressure Pointer, anyone tried it? It looks like a theracane but they use the foot to work the thing. Seems like a logical idea.
  4. Mrs. B

Mrs. B New Member

I haven't heard or seen one of those but, if it works please let me know more about it. :)

Lisa
  5. HobieCat

HobieCat New Member

Hello Mrs. B,

After reading their website, I ordered one today. They say I should have it in a few days, I'll post back here what I find out.
    They have a comparison page on their website comparing their product to the Theracane and Backnobber, if they are right about their claims, I think the Pressure Pointer will be what I'm looking for. I'll let you know.

Thanks,
    Hobie
  6. sofy

sofy New Member

Hi Hobie! Dont have a thing to add to help your search that hasnt already been said. I know what your Mom means about they dont get it right. Hitting the right spot sometimes is a matter of a fraction of an inch and when you are doing the guiding and pressure you can get it right on the mark. When you are trying to guide someone else it is much less effective.

I looked at the Pressure Pointer and you have this female all excited. It looks awesome. I can hardley wait to see what your mom has to say about it. Hope you are ordering soon and that it does the trick for her and then me.

Am grateful you came seeking help and wound up giving it. Let your mom know how her dilema has been helpful to others.

7. HobieCat

HobieCat New Member

I talked to the Pressure pointer people this morning and ordered one. So I'll post here what happens, I should have it by Wednesday.

BTW, I think I talked to the inventor of the thing when I ordered it, he said he came up with it because he suffered from what he called "mouse shoulder" from using the computer.

I think I have "mouse shoulder" right now!! I can't wait to try this thing.

Take care,
    Hobie
  8. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Thank you, please keep us posted. Being independent is very empowering, your Mom sounds like a great lady. And good for you that you are involved in her health issues.
    Fondly, June

[ advertisement ]