Therapy that has worked!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Speced, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Speced

Speced New Member

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to share this so maybe it can help someone else!

It has been quite a long time since I have been on here. I found it difficult to work fulltime, do what I need to do at home and keep up here.

A few weeks ago, I over did it and once again was into a bad flare. My mother had received this pamphlet for laser therapy for pain management. I was desperate and thought it was worth a try, I've tried pretty much everything else. Of course I was very pessimestic. I CAM NOT BELIEVE THE RESULTS - the first treatment too. I have very minimal pain and at times I am pain free. I no longer feel I am battling pain every second of the day. No treatment has ever given me this much relief. Apparently many do not have the quick relief I did - I attribute it to the accupuncture, the myfascial release and all the naturopathic things I have been doing for over a year.

Last week I had a couple of long, busy days that could not be avoided. I figured I would be in another flare. I was amazed - I DID NOT FLARE!

It has only been a few weeks but I just pray that this continues to last....I may have my life back.

God Bless!
    D.

2. Juloo

Juloo Member

Someone just today was asking if anyone knew anything about cold laser therapy. Is that what you did? I've had LLLT (low level laser therapy), but not consistantly, and not for pain, so I cannot comment for her.
  3. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

Where do you get laser therapy treatments??
  4. maripat

maripat New Member

Could you please explain just what it is. What is used and so forth.
    maripat
  5. KelB

KelB New Member

Bumping back to the top. Sounds like this could be useful for folks, so more info would be great.
  6. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

I must have had my head in a hole lately ... I've never heard of laser therapy. Can you explain more, and also what it cost you if you don't mind sharing. Sounds like it could be really good.

Thanks!

7. gabdeb

gabdeb New Member

bump for more info
  8. maripat

maripat New Member

Giving another try for an answer.
  9. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

for pain relief? i will have to search in the internet.

jodie
  10. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

Bumping again ... would love more info!!!

Kat
  11. Bet2

Bet2 New Member

It is a cold therapy. You actually cannot feel it doing anything while you are in the therapy. But it does combat the pain.

Some insurance companies do cover it and some do not. You will have to call your insurance company and ask. Not many doctors use this type of therapy. It's relatively new. Been around for a few years but since alot of insurance comapnies do not cover it isn't a preferred therapy by the docs. Check with a holistic healer or some chiropractors may have this type of therapy.

Hope that helps.

Bet2
  12. Speced

Speced New Member

Hello all,

I will try to answer your questions as best I can.

I'm not sure what kind of laser it is but I will find out.

The assessment was done by a chiropractor. I'm in Ontario, Canada but our Ontario Health Insurance does not cover it. My insurance through work covers up to a certain amount - not sure what my limit is - under chiropractic services.
    The intial assessment was $45.00 and the treatments are $40.00. The first week I went 3 times and I'm now going twice a week. Well worth it!!!

Last week I felt so good I asked them to start on my knee - I have arthritis in them and they are bothering me now more than anything. This week I'm back to my neck cuz I've been over doing and am sore - but still he pain is minimal and very tolerable.

The chiropractor decided to start on my neck cuz he felt that is where the pain may be radiating from.

The treament is a 3 stage process. The laser looks like a wide belt. It is put across my neck. It is all computerized. About every 5 minutes a buzzer sounds and they move the laser and restart. About 1/2 way through, I think, when they move the laser belt they also increase the intensity (a different belt), the last increase they use a hand held laser that they move around cuz it is the most intense. They can start at different intensities and go up from there. I feel pretty much nothing during the treatment, except sometimes a little heat. I read and don't pay much attention to what they are doing. The treatments are 1/2 hour but by the time the buzzers go and they come to readjust, I'm there about 45 min to an hour.

It is a quiet peaceful time.

I have met people there who have other problems - ie. back troubles - in that case the lasers are placed directly on the injured area. One lady with back pain said she could barely walk before the treatment.

Not everybody responds to the same treatments but hopefully this will help others.

I should add that almost 1 1/2 years ago I changed to a healthier diet (as much as I can), see a Naturopath - lots of supplements, and have been having myfascial release and accupuncture. No medication for Fibro worked for me. Narcotics helped but my doctors won't perscribe for long term. Whether this made me more open to the treaments I don't know.

I got a flyer in the mail, was in a flare and was desperate when I tried this - never thinking it would work. The place I go is called CanUSA - so I'm assuming it is probably an American based concept.

Sorry this is so long. I hope this helps someone else and I have answered all the questions. Can't see them when responding so have to try to remember.

God Bless,
    D.
  13. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

There's a relatively new treatment called Andodyne Therapy that's being used at several physical therapy clinics here. Most US insurance companies should cover it if you have the prescription for physical therapy. In some cases they'll even buy you the equipment to use at home if you have improved substantially in four weeks.

You can do a search for Anodyne Therapy on Google to see their website which has a lot of medical information. My PTs have seen amazing results, especially with diabetic neuropathy and myofascial pain syndrome.

Jan