Therapy??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by RoseSky, Aug 18, 2003.

1. RoseSky

RoseSky New Member

One of my doctors just suggested that I find a good therapist. He was trying to explain to me that there is no "quick-fix" or "magic pill" for CFS and that it requires a lot of different approaches put together (almost like puzzle pieces) to start getting better. I was just wondering if anyone has or is seeing a therapist and if it really helps. I wouldn't even know what to say to one when they asked why I was there other than "My doctor told me to" because I don't feel depressed or unhappy. I actually have a pretty good life outside of my illness, so I'm not totally convinced therapy would do me any good. Opinions anyone?
  2. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Hi, Rose Sky,
    If your doctor told you to try therapy, It probably would be a good idea to make an appointment and see for yourself if it helps. Be cautious, though, and be sure to get a therapist who believes that Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia really exist. Better still, if you can find one who has them. And remember that, no one, no matter how compassionate or understanding, can know what we are going through if it is totally ouside of their experience, so be patient with your therapist.
    I tried therapy and one therapist tried hard, but simply didn't "get it". They read up on things that say tht exercise helps people with Fibro, but don't take into account the backlash of debilitating pain that comes after exercise. Another therapist really helped.
    Please folow your doctor's advice, but be wise in your judgmets. Good luck. Terry
  3. pixipip

pixipip New Member

I've had therapy on and off, it realy helped me to deal with my anger and frustration re: not being listened to, being told I'm just a hypoconriac, it's all in my head and so oooooooon, one good thing did come out of it a few years ago, My therapist wrote to my GP and told him to get me some help cos my pain was deffinately not psycho somatic!
    Good luck if you deside to try it.

Love & Light,
    Jacqui.
  4. Lana56

Lana56 New Member

Hi Rose,
    I have been in therapy for a long time.I have to tell you it was the best thing I did for myself.If they ask you why you are there and you don't know the answer it is ok.My therapist has asked many questions that i just didn't know what to say and she told me it is ok and she hears that often so I am not alone.If you meet one that you find comfortable with,you will find one day that there is nothing better than knowing someone is there for you.They will ask questions to find out what your needs are.When I was so tired of this illness and being in pain my therapist would validate how I feel.She always let me know I am ok and that i can have strength to help myself cope.When I had poor medical care she was a help to encourage me to keep looking for a doctor that would work with me and listen.When I felt like no one in the world understood me and would not listen,my therapist was right there for me.I am a strong advocate when it comes to therapy.I have been lucky to find a woman that has been there for me and has seen me through so much.It won't hurt to look into it and go for an app.-you will know how you feel when you get there.It is ok to be nervous and a bit uncomfortable,but if things go well you will be thankful later.They give you time and they will listen.Many times I need that.I am going through a lot right now and my therapist has been great-I don't know what I would do without her support.Sorry this is long-guess i got carried away!I just believe if we need help we should get it-it does not hurt to give it a chance.Even if we are not sure why we are going or what our needs are yet.Good luck and if you make an app.trust that the person is there to support you. Lana56
  5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I first started seeing a therapist when I got FM symptoms & didn't have a dx yet. Best decision I ever made! I found a therapist who specialized in patients with chronic illness, which made all the difference. She advocated strongly for me (in fact, it was she who first mentioned fibromyalgia to me as a possible explanation for why I had these symptoms), plus she helped me learn coping mechanisms, as I was going through the inevitable grief process we all do when we have to come to grips with this. I saw her for about a year, twice a week, at first, then weekly, then twice a month, then monthly, until I was ready to deal with it on my own. I found it very helpful, personally, but we are all individuals & what may help one may not help another.

Good luck!

Hugs,
    Pam
  6. Chelz

Chelz New Member

RoseSky, Hi. I was diagnosed with FMS in January, 2002, the next month, I was fired from my job. The combination of these two horrible things happening to me put me over the edge. I told my doctor that I will not take antidepressants since it doesn't solve the problem, and I took them before and they made me worse. He suggested talk therapy for me.

I went to the first therapist, but, I feel she didn't understand what fibromyalgia was all about, I just didn't feel comfortable with her. I did find another therapist and I felt that her attitude bothered me. I think she wanted me to just forget about the FMS, and move on, well DUH, doesn't everyone want to do that? I'm all for therapy, I just think it's extremely hard to find one who will try to empower you and be sensitive at the same time.

I kind of felt funny about paying someone who doesn't know me to talk to me about my problems. I had the feeling the second therapist I went to was just waiting for the hour to be over so I could pay her. This is just my opinion and my experience, BUT, if you can find a good therapist I do believe it could make a big difference. I ended my therapy after about 8 sessions. Good luck. Hugs Chelz.
  7. lucky

lucky New Member

Many years ago when I got diagnosed with CFS/FMS I asked my doctor to recommend a psychologist who was helping people dealing with chronic illnesses. I did find a good one, but after seeing her only 3 times, she told me that I was strong enough to cope with my illness and did not need any counselling. And...so over the years I did, it was tough at times, since we have to change our whole life around with these illnesses. Well, some people benefit from counselling, and some people don't, it also depends on what other problems there are in their lives which on top of being ill cause a lot of stress.
    CFS nor FMS are mental or emotional illnesses, and I wonder about your doctor who believes that a psychiatrist will be the answer for you. Since he cannot deal with these illnesses, may be he feels a psychiatrist could. But you are the one in the end who feels if you need counselling or not and should have the last word on it.
    Take care, Lucky

8. pixipip

pixipip New Member

I find counsellors or psychologists that have a humanistic or person centred approach to be the best, they tend to listen and care more than most traditional therapists, and don't debate you so much!
    Love & Light.
    Jacqui.
  9. Ambratheil

Ambratheil New Member

Hey RoseSky,

I started therpay a few months ago just to have someone who could let me talk it all out. I'm also doing pretty well with CFS/FM, but let's face it, there are definitely down days when there's a flare up. My husband has been fantastic, but I don't want to go to him every time I'm sad or not feeling so well. So, I talk to the therapist about whatever is going on in life-- if I'm feeling well we celebrate, if not we talk it out. He's helping me to learn how to deal better with the chronic part of CFS and manage my emotions when things aren't going well and also dealing with stress at work and dealing with family and friends who don't understand what I'm going through.