There are some days that make you appreciate the good ones

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by joyfully, Aug 1, 2007.

1. joyfully

joyfully New Member

There are some days that make you appreciate the good ones----

Have you ever experienced a day that makes you really wonder about some people's ability to just use some common sense????

I had one of those today.

It started with Kohl's customer service and EXCHANGING 3 items. One was an ice tea pitcher that leaked, one was a off white pair of 500 thread count pillow cases that I guessed the wrong shade of off-white, the third was a pair of Haggar (sp??) slacks. Easy enough, right???

An hour later and 3 different customer service clerks later---I FINALLY got my even-exchanged finished.

Then I went through the drive-through at Junk in the Box. I ask for no mayonnaise. yep, you can guess what is on the sandwich. My meal is supposed to be $4.79 plus tax. I drive up to the window and they tell me the cost is $5.97. $1.20 tax on a $4.79 purchase, I don't think so!
    So the ditsy girl waiting on the drive-through customers punches in a bunch of #s and says $5.14. I asked for a diet drink, I question her about the drink. OOPS! it isn't diet. Something tells me to check the bag of food. OOPS! No straw. She is too busy talking to some guy who is standing next to her rather than paying attention to what she is supposed to be doing-----waiting on drive through customers.

Onto WalMart. No electric mobility carts available. They tell me to "go look in the parking lot to see if I can find one". Hello, I can barely walk.

I finally get one from a customer who is checking out.

Onto the fish dept. I can't find a meat man to wait on me.

Onto the produce dept. where several items don't have signs up so you know the cost per pound; the person who is working in that dept finally comes out of the back room----he doesn't know the price either.

Back to the fish dept before I go to check out. I purchase one large piece of Orange Roughy on sale for $7.99/pound. The meat man makes a label that says wild salmon for $9.99/ pound. I tell him that he has made an incorrect label, that I purchased orange roughy, not wild salmon.

He pushes some buttons on the weight scale and inadvertently shuts down the entire weight/labeling system. Then comes the mumbling. I have to stand to even hear him. My ice cream and other frozen foods are defrosting while he is cluelessly standing there punching the same button over, and over, and over. I ask him to use the other scale because my frozen foods are defrosting---his mumbling gets worse. Now I'm standing so I can hear him. I'm just getting mumbling evasive answers.

I ask him to call SOMEONE who can get the electric price label scale machine up and functioning again. He mumbles something inaudible. At this point, I start my "yes or no" questioning---it means I've reached my saturation point with his mumbling evasiveness.

yes or no. Is someone coming who actually KNOWS how to operate these scales.

Yes or no, is the person in the store, or am I standing here for nothing.

Yes or no, will this person be able to fix this situation,or do I need to just leave.

Etc. etc. etc.

I finally find out because of my grilling him that he is clueless how to get the scales up and running. That he "pushed the wrong button and everything just shut down" on the scales. That he had no idea how to fix the problem. That he needs a manager who has some security code, but he doesn't know if the manager on site has the code! The manager finally comes, now there is problems with the peel and stick price labels inside of the machine. The goofy fish man had taken the entire roll of labels out while attempting to "diagnose" the problem AND REINSTALLED THE ROLL BACKWARDS!

So now I have finally gotten my package of fish. I have a bunch of produce in the store's mobility scooter basket, so I make a detour and attempt to get a regular cart before I go to check out.

I get stopped about 15 feet from the doors and am told that I have to pay for my groceries before leaving the store! Hello, I'm not even to the "greeter" yet or the store's shopping carts. When I tell them I'm just trying to get a cart before I get in line, they don't help me get the shopping cart, they just repeat their same dumb message!

Onto checking out. I am on their electric scooter so I can't see over the display racks. I'm pulling the shopping cart behind the scooter and looking for a checker's light on the pole so I know where to pull in to check out. Remember, WalMart carts go slower than a snail can crawl. I finally see a checker's light without a long line, so I drive into that aisle to check out. Guess what-----no checker. Somebody forgot to turn off their light when they closed that register. Now, I have to figure out how to back up the store's scooter while also pushing the shopping cart behind me. It is like trying to back up a boat behind a truck.
    I don't think you have to be able to speak English to qualify for a checker position at WAlMart---at least the super Wal Mart that I went to today!

So I had spent a great deal of time picking out my produce. The male cashier dumps about 8 or 9 pounds of produce into each bag. My peaches, cherries, plums, grapes are being smushed to pulp under the weight of cauliflower, apples, and bananas. I am taking at least 50% of the produce out of each bag and putting it in a new bag to distribute the weight. do you think the cashier "gets the message" and stops trying to turn my produce into slushies with the total volume and weight of each bag? Nope, and then he puts a bag of canned goods ontop of the produce just incase some fruit happened to make it through the former ordeal.

Am I having fun yet? Today makes me appreciate the good days even more. There was more adventure, but I can't think of it at the moment. it is probably a good thing that I can't!

[This Message was Edited on 08/01/2007]
  2. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Dear Joyfully, I started to laugh but couldn't get much more than a rueful smile. Too much like a "normal" day in America. Sigh.

I'm pretty much sure that Walmart and "Junk in the Box" do pre-employment drug testing so that's probably not the problem.

The product of the public school system has traditionally been responsive to the needs of business.
    When factory workers were needed, discipline and concentration were emphasized, etc.

Now, it seems that business needs low cost labor (and consumers financed by debt).

Our schools can't seem to produce enough low cost labor so we are even importing low cost/quality labor.

The machines they operate are supposed to compensate for lack of skills("ability to think"). But, probably the local incompetent managers think they are saving money by cutting back on training. Perhaps the meat man has never even worked much with a second, experienced person to learn from. He may not be stupid, but merely ignorant. Perhaps he never learned to "put things back where you found them".

Anyway, we are probably all doomed:)

I always liked a critical thought that "People, in a free economy rise, get promoted, until they reach their level of incompetency". So after awhile everyone is incompetent.
    The hereditary cast system in India may be as efficient as a merit system economy.

Unfortunately, you seem to have interacted with a large number of people today who have already achieved their level of incompetency. Perhaps, all of them.

Anyway, a very good Vent, Joyfully. I hope I have explained "what's going on" competently.

Somewhat confused about where common sense, and old fashion American pragmatic problem solving have gone to, Your Mr Bill

Too much insecticide in our food?
    Perhaps we are not testing for the right things in pre-employment testing.

[This Message was Edited on 08/02/2007]
  3. budmickl

budmickl New Member

You weren't in Mexico were you? There was a story on MSNBC that sackers in Mexico were 'volunteers'.

It seems when one thing goes wrong, it sets the tone for the entire day.

The fact that you can share this with us today probably means you are going to have a good day.

I refuse to go into Kohl's because of their customer service (or lack there of). I do actually go in because my sister loves that store. And they do have great prices. But oh my, is the good price worth the hours of aggrevation if it doesn't work out?

Hope these days are few and far between!

4. ckball

ckball New Member

Don't ya just love em, I guess we need "those" days to appreciate the good ones.

Sadly, I have to agree with TMS Bill? This country is counting on the young to save it but who is going to save them????

This is just a small thing but it proves the point that nobady cares anymore. My freind I were eating at Texas Roadhouse for her 50th BD on Mon. When the people across from us got up, a young boy 19-20ish came and bused the table. He sat a wet tub on the seat, cleared the table and walked away, leaving the seat with water all over it.

We left before anyone was seated and mentioned it to the waitress when we paid our bill. I would not have wanted to sit on a wet seat.

I have pushed my mother in a wheel chair for 3 years before she went to the NH. I can't count the number of times I have fought with doors, chairs and what ever and not one person offer to help in a office full of people!

If I see someone in the cart looking for something up high, I always stop and offer help and they are always appreciative.

I am glad that day is over for you and hopefully you enjoyed your grapes and stuff the way they were intended and not juiced,lol. I did enjoy ready your "rant" I kept waiting for your cart battery to die on your way to checkout.

BTW- I have a cargo trailer I pull and you are right about the backing up- pain in the @ss- Hope today goes better- Carla
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Enough to drive one mad, isn't it? Some days I think I understand how people feel when they run amok.

Here in Los Angeles the simplest transaction is complicated by language problems. And many clerks are flirting w/ a coworker or talking on their cell phones.

It does no good whatsoever to talk to management. (Assuming a manager can be located.) Most of them give off a strong aura of, "You don't matter, and I don't care!"

And big business would rather spend a million a week on advertising than hire enough employees.

The country is doomed. I just hope it can struggle along for another year or two. By then my turn should be over.

6. therealmadscientist

Rockgor, what's this about only "another year or two"?
    NO,no. I hope nothing bad happening. Incomprehensible to not have your wisdom/words from you on Board!

Also, I hope my "rise to incompetency" speech wasn't too grim. I was trying to be funny as well as insightful, but does seem like a too grim scenario, today.

The meat market man story almost seems like a modern day parable. Figuring out "what the problem is" has always been the most important part of fixing something. He didn't understand problem, tried to fix it, and created a new problem.

Anyway, I suspect many of our congressmen have risen to a level above their competency. And, probably the ones who actually are competent are running for President so that they can then become incompetent:)

Hey, I'm a fairly competent lab tech. With some dedicated ambition I could have easily overachieved and become an incompetent doctor:)

And then, there's God...... no, I'd better not go there:)

I'm beginning suspect that most of the competent, caring, people in world are lying in bed, depressed as heck.
    Sorry to be so pessimistic. I'm really trying to see things humorously.

I need a vacation.

7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

a vacation would be good for all of us, RMS.

What's the name of that principle? Peterkin? I read the book decades ago. The other side of the principle coin is, of course, the Heisenberg principle. Or as James Burke puts it, "Now we know that we shall never know."

I think the Peterkin principle does not apply to millions. They are not promoted until they are incompetent. They start out that way.

Store clerks drive me crazy. Of course if I shopped on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills...

My aunt came out to Los Angles for a visit a couple decades ago. I have a snapshot of her walking down Rodeo Drive w/ Zsa Zsa right behind here. They're both about 70 and look very good.

Das ist alles.

8. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Therealmadscientist. You wrote, "Anyway, I suspect many of our congressmen have risen to a level above their competency. And, probably the ones who actually are competent are running for President so that they can then become incompetent:) "

So true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I go to the super WAlmart by me because they have wide aisles. Yes, wide aisles that I can get through MOST of the time with the store's scooter. I have an HEB by me that I swore I'd never to go again---and I haven't! It was due to the out-of-order mobility scooters that the store never had the repairs done. There were never any functioning scooters for several weeks in a row. Also, the HEB allows too many "displays" in the aisles that cause a big problem for me to navigate around.

I have two remaining HEB grocery stores by me, but I find that I have to check expiration dates because they see products waaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond their expiration dates.

So it is off to WalMart where the aisles are very wide. What a reason to shop at a store!
  9. therealmadscientist

Oh, boy, Joyfully. You are off to Wal Mart again!

Can't wait to hear about your latest adventure.
    Hope a bit better than your previous day.

(I have to try to be funny. I don't cry, so only option available:) LOL Thanks and Cheers, your mr Bill

10. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I read your story, stopped to make my breakfast somewhat shaking my head and all I could think about was, "I do not miss the US at all" over and over again.

Things are just different here in Germany and other countries. Rock, correct me if I'm wrong, but most everyone here goes to University, so those jobs in the grocery stores are filled by lovely middle aged woman.

I have never, ever had a day like that here, even with the language difference....EVER.

I've had so many helpful employees here and if there is a language/hand signal problem then some other customer who speaks English always steps in to help.

Even my daughter who has so many psychiatric problems doesn't mind going to stores here and getting what she needs. No one makes her feel stupid, and just the other day, the flower lady gave her all her flowers for 'no price'!! (She was only buying one bunch of fresh flowers for her home)

Stepping out like that is huge for my daughter but she lives with hubby 30 minutes from base, has no car or driver's license so she needs to do much of her shopping around the neighborhood. (And each neighborhood has the stores to make it unnecessary to travel far, self sufficient so to speak)

Even living in Bahrain where sorry to say it, but 'slave type labor' was brought in from other countries, the service was wonderful because these people were so happy just to be working and sending money home to their families. And these people who made barely more than $100.00 a month, spoke up to 7 languages!!!!!!!!

I'm still shaking my head, still saying, "I don't miss it at all" but sorry you had such a difficult day.

Hugs all,

Nancy B