THERE BACK - MICE!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by darude, Dec 16, 2005.

1. darude

darude New Member

oKOK we thought we had them all we caught eight. Anyway still been putting out traps and now noticed that the peanut butter is gone!!! Traps not setting off must be one smart critter. I know someone had one left that beat the traps. Any suggestions for this one!
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

that creeps me out to think of that mouse running around....

but one of the funniest things I have ever seen was when we had our Gr. Pyrenees, she used to sleep really deeply when she got older. One day she was asleep outside in front of the french door, the dogs' dishes were close by...

when suddenly a young-looking rat ran across and ran smack into her rear end, so hard that his back feet literally lifted off the ground! He quickly jumped up and ran for it...

about 10 seconds later, she lifted her head and looked around, probably thinking she just dreampt about that bump!

ANYway, hate to say it, but traps never have worked for us, live, regular, etc.... the only thing for us in the country is to put D-con in dark remote places out of reach of the dogs inside.

V
  3. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

We found that the best bait is a little piece of a Kraft caramel. They can't just lick it off and it kills them much cleaner and quicker since their teeth are stuck in the caramel and the bar hits them where it should.

(Sorry - I hate killing things, but if it has to be done, then I want it to be done as humanely as possible!)

Jan
  4. pepper

pepper New Member

When you posted the first time about your mouse problem, we had just discovered ours. He/she is still around. We can hear it running around under the kitchen cupboards. The cat still stares menacingly at the cupboard every night but hasn't been able to catch it. And she is a good mouser - she deposits dead mice on the front step almost every day.

We have the live trap still set up in the kitchen and we trip over it regularly. The peanut butter disappears out of the trap but the mouse has outsmarted the trap.

I am beginning to think that we should just give up and name it and learn to live with him/her. I was thinking of calling it "Einstein" lol.

So, obviously I am no help at all to you!

Pepper

Sherry, that is one creepy story about the mouse in the netting. EW!!!!

[This Message was Edited on 12/16/2005]
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

I think I would get a hungry cat!!!
  6. darude

darude New Member

A cat but she is 14 and seems uninterested in them. Dog is scared of them!!!! I'm sitting here by myself and don't wann go in kitchen just in case. Ok this is stupid gonna go get old cat give some milk in the kitchen. Just her moving around should put them off. YUk this is grossssss
  7. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

Maybe it is time for a new cat (unless you think that the current cat would not accept it).
    [This Message was Edited on 12/17/2005]
  8. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

the reason i say that we used to live in a bungalow, mum called in the exterminator who found a hole in thewallnear the washing machine but things were still being nibbled so mum sat in the kitchen late at night in the dark to see what came. it was me :) as a toddler ive gone in and taken a nibble out of everything in the fruit bowl ~ the sides of banana skins and bits of orange peel. :D

if you have a large area of land what about borrowing a farm cat??
  9. jakeg

jakeg New Member

Have you tried the newer type traps that the bait is inside it? The mouse has to go inside to get it and when they do zap the trap spins closed keeping them inside. Just pickup the trap and throw it away. These traps have worked for us, and if that doesn't work well then it's time for rat poison it is a sure thing.
  10. Suzan

Suzan New Member

We live in an old house..and it seems we get at least one critter every year..UGH. But this time Dh used spreadable cheese..that seemed to do the trick...peanut butter..and hard cheese just disappeared!
  11. victoria

victoria New Member

that was hilarious!!!!!!

:)
  12. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

While the python has now upgraded to small chickens, etc - I'm sure he wouldn't pass up a mouse if offered!

I usually find though that people who don't like mice, don't like the snakes too well either.

Good luck with the critters!
  13. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

Go to your nearest feedstore and ask them for " One Bite"
    it works wonders, we live in the country, and sometimes deal with field mice....EWWWWEY...LOL Ya'll's stories gave me the hibbie- jibbies! My son found one in the dishwater last week, I think it must have been thristy, but ended up comitting suicide! Poor mousey! LOL As long as their not in here! UGH! Thank goodness, I think they're all gone now!
  14. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

the best mouse trap ever, The Better Mouse Trap, you should be able to find it at your local feed mill(where you buy feed/meds for farm animals) It is grey, and it has a hinge system so you don't have to touch anything gross, and use peanutbutter, and place traap on an angle along a wall where you know they are running.
    Raz
    p.s.
    This works,,, We lived in an OLD mobile home for 17yrs,,
  15. darude

darude New Member

Can't find it here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  16. daylilyfan

daylilyfan New Member

We have a 8 x 10 cage in the basement where the cat and dog can't get in. That's where we set the traps. I used to be a big cage for a dog I had that was on medication and could not hold her bladder all day while I was at work. Now we put stuff in there we don't want the animals to get into.

Anyway, we had caught a mouse in it. We put it outside on the banister early in the morning, intending to go out after getting dressed and empty the trap to use again.

When we went out, trap and mouse were gone. We live in the country - but could not figure out what happened to it.... we looked everywhere.

That night, when we went into the little pole barn to feed the 3 half feral cats, by their food bowl, lay the trap, with what was left of the mouse in it. Evidently they had found it that morning, and eaten all they could get of it... and left it by the food bowl for us to find for some reason.

Since then, when we take a trap out, we are sure to release the dead mouse right away and not just sit it on the banister! LOL!
  17. GwenGlo

GwenGlo New Member

when I was in school (50+ yrs ago) I learned a poem that goes like this;

I think mice are nice;
    Their tail are long, their faces small;
    They haven't any chins at all.
    Their ears are pink, their teeth are white,
    They run about the house at night;
    They nibble things they shouldn't touch,
    And no one seems to like them much,
    But I think mice are rather nice.

Just a poem. I don't necessarily agree but I never forgot it.
    Gwen
  18. Musica

Musica New Member

It has been several years now, but that mouse was around for 10 very long months!!! And it was BECAUSE of my cat that it was there!

I tried humane methods first, I really did. But this was another genius mouse. It was funny at first, then it got to be WAR! LOL The sticky traps seem to work pretty well. I can't say it really caught this one... It was a pure fluke. I was chasing it around the bedroom and saw it climb absolutely noiselessly into a sack. I had that thing closed up so quick!!! I drove it a few miles away and dumped it out. By then, it was a little teetery because I kept shaking the bag so it wouldn't get loose in the car! So, it did escape with its life, after all.

Sherry, I can't even imagine what that would have been like, having a mouse caught in the bedding like that!

19. darude

darude New Member

Heard trap go tonight while watching TV. Can't look in there thi Dh will check out when comes home!
  20. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

We live in a 25 year old mobile home that we moved into in May. It is in the middle of our hay field and was empty for about nine months.

When we started moving in I found mouse bait everywhere! I had to remove it all and clean everything because of my dogs. They couldn't get to the places the bait was but it would only have taken one dead mouse to kill one of them.

I use the traps that have the yellow fake bait flap on them. I have better luck with them than with the ones I have to bait, however a little piece of bacon hooked securly in the trap works pretty good.

We have had mice everywhere and now we have traps everywhere. I move them periodically because the mice seem to wise up to them. Several times have caught one within 20 minutes of moving the traps.

By the way, I consider all traps disposable! We don't take the mouse out of them, we throw the whole thing away! Twice I caught live ones and my DH has to deal with those!

Hugzz,
    Greenbean