There IS goodness in the world!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by HeavenlyRN, Jun 17, 2010.

1. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

My husband and I lost our health insurance on May 7th when I hit the 26 week mark of disability. My employer had been paying it up to a point then stopped. But, we didn't find out until 2 weeks ago when we got the notice that it had been discontinued....along with a bill for $3200.00. Oh, that was an ugly day!

We've signed up for new, cheaper insurance but it won't become effective until July 1st.

I had had an appointment with my PCP for yesterday and another one next week with the wonderful nurse practitioner at my rheumy's office. I rescheduled the one with my PCP for July 1st and the one with the NP for July 6th.

But, I needed another RX for my Percocet. If I had been able to keep yesterday's appointment, I could have asked for it then. So, I called and the doc wrote me another RX that we picked up today.

I had written a letter to the NP explaining our "situation" and also giving her the "heads-up" on how I've been feeling since our last appointment (not much better despite med changes). I also asked her about the possibility of my having Parathyroid Disease as Lincamp had mentioned to me on another thread I had started. I printed out a list of symptoms that were on the site Lincamp had directed me to. I have 15 of the 17 sx. listed. I also gave my NP the site where I found the information.

ANYWAY.........(lordy, lordy......I DO go on, don't I?!!) today I got a return letter from her. She mentioned how sorry she was about our insurance issue, THEN......she told me not to worry about the insurance, she wouldn't charge me for visits! Say what?!!! I was floored. I knew there was a reason I just love her to pieces, besides the fact that she really, really cares. She is the only medical professional who has ever said to me, "We'll get to the bottom of this, no matter how long it takes."

She also said that Parathyroid Disease is very possible with me. So, she sent me a lab slip so that I can have labs done - AFTER the new insurance kicks in and BEFORE my next appointment with her.

And, ya know........I've been feeling really, really down and sorry for myself lately. For some weird reason I woke up during the night and couldn't get back to sleep. That hardly ever happens. Anyway, I had a couple of hours to think about "stuff" and decided I wasn't going to be a victim anymore. When I woke up this morning I was in a good mood and didn't have as much pain as I usually do in the mornings. It lasted for the whole day. Had a nice lunch with my mom, ran errands with DH, had some good conversations with DH, then came home and opened the mail. And... voila!!.....the letter from my NP. :)

I'm sorry that this is such a novel, but I just wanted to share some good news for once!
  2. kat211

kat211 New Member

I am so happy for you! Your NP sounds like a wonderful person. It is great that you have her on your health care team.

3. quanked

quanked Member

remember this. I sometimes forget this and sometimes it is a long stretch between finding goodness and kindness.

Glad your found this good and kind human being and glad you shared.

Thanks for the smile.
  4. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

Girlfriend...that IS good news! You sure needed something good for a change! What a great dr you have. I hope everything else starts falling in place as well. Its your turn for good things! Im so happy for you. Hugs!
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

I have found many doctors to be wonderful when they find out one doesn't have insurance.
    Some of them really do have compassion! I have had many give me as many samples as I could carry; for skin surgery I was charged 1/2 price with a payment plan. And, SO glad you found your NP too!

6. skeptik2

skeptik2 Member

Sometimes they are hard to find, but then a story like yours can
    give such hope!

Another story: took my 22 y.o. grdau to first dentist in 3 years. She
    had 3 huge fillings, one of which was causing an infection every
    few weeks. Dentist said, oral surgeon needed for root canal and
    a crown must be done immediately. The other two had images
    I couldn't believe...eroded mercury filled fillings that also were so
    large they couldn't be redone...2 more crowns needed.

Well, long story short...I told him I had a decent income, but I
    would have a hard time paying for all of this. He said he did
    volunteer work at a church dental clinic, and I could take her
    there for most of it except the oral surgeon work! I was just
    so floored and happy I could get her the care she needed so

So, there are angels among us, aren't there?

7. toddm

toddm New Member

SO glad to hear things are looking up for you. I've been on a 30 doctor run since all of this started and would love to know your NP's name, we live in the same city. I'm just starting the SSDI process also, everything seems to come at once doesn't it. I'm not sure how we can contact each other om this forum (seems like trash talking is allowed, but talking to another forum member is banned?!?!?) Would you list their name on here?
  8. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

It's good to hear stories like yours as we usually hear about the people who are turned away because of not having insurance.
  9. toddm

toddm New Member

Thank you very much for the info.......... :D I've been spending more time on the Phoenix Rising site since this forum has turned into Jr High. I'd like to chat with you further someday, I hope everything works out for you and you family.
  10. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

My dh has been seeing the same ENT (ear, nose, throat) for 20 yrs. He's done several ear and sinus surgeries for dh. Over the yrs our insurance has changed off and on and didn't include this doc. He didn't charge for appts or for surgery several times, amazing guy!

Yes, it's hard to find good things happening these days, but it sure is refreshing when good things happen to good people.:)
  11. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Yup, it sure is, like, you know, OMG, you know, like junior high.....fer sure!

You are very welcome. I hope it works out for you. I'm sure there will be a bit of a wait to get in, as there is with almost any rheumy. But, it's a good office and they have several locations throughout town.

Let me know how it goes. I hope you start feeling better soon.

12. rickj44

rickj44 Member

Its nice that there are people out there like that.. WE also lost all our insurance..and the medications we take excess 4,000.00. Its not possible too buy insurance as the premiums are more then what we pay.
    But on the positive note, my Dr gives us samples and we are in Canada so we don't have too pay for emergency or Dr's visits.
    Glad for you.
  13. gapsych

gapsych New Member