There Really IS Hope!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 53j, Jan 11, 2003.

1. 53j

53j New Member

Name's John. I've had F.M. for 8 years now. I know all about the pain, depression, the whole thing. There have been mornings that I had to call for my wife to come and boost me upright in bed so I could sit. Pain is an awful thing...grinds me down, 20 pounds underweight. Then one day I woke up without pain. I've been in remission for going on 3 years now. No F.M. I thank God for that. Remission.
    Never give up ok?!...John
  2. 2girls

2girls New Member

This is incredible!! Just goes to show how truly unpredictable this disease is. Wonderful! You have inspired me to have hope again.

Thanks
    2girls
  3. sofy

sofy New Member

Do you know what caused this remission or was it idiopathic? I appreciate your message of hope but found the lack of helpful information disheartening.
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi John, yes I can relate to your experience, except mine was not so dramatic. I did go into remission twice, just about a year both times.
    Have no idea the 'why' or 'wherefore' of it. But I was almost, not completely pain free for a year are near about that amount of time.
    Then it came back with a vengence. It has happened twice like this in a 20 plus year span of having FM.

I would not want to rain on your parade, but if it was FM that you had/have its quite possible it will return. For your sake I sure hope it does not.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Shalom, Shirl

5. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

Perhaps he's here because he wants to express how happy and relieved he is that he has overcome this illness, if at least for the time being. Give the guy the benefit of the doubt at least. I would imagine if all your pain and suffering magically disappeared one morning you'd want to share too being as cranky as you are.

John~ I'm happy for you, I wish I could wake up one morning and have the same thing happen to me someday.
    People here don't like salespeople so they immediately jump on the first person who says they've been cured....sorry about that.

~LISA
  6. judywhit

judywhit New Member

John! Thank you for sharing with us. God bless you!
  7. kadywill

kadywill New Member

and I want to defend him a bit, please. I am not a sceptical person by nature, Heck, I defended Susan Smith forever and just could NOT believe a mother would kill her children, so what I say may mean nothing at all.
    However, I have had several remissions lasting more than 2 years at a time. I just woke up and was fine, went off all meds and got beautiful and toned and took no meds and acted like a *normal* person did! That was so nice.....
    Then, out of nowhere, the demon returned with a vengeance, leaving me to wonder what I'd done to cause the relapse. I have never known what precipitated the flares. NEVER! It just *is* what it is for me and I just have to go with it. I have been tested and retested by the best anywhere around.
    As I sit here, I am covered in giant hives. I am itching horribly. I am taking Allegra twice daily and Atarax as needed. Yesterday I had to give myself an injection of Epinephrine when my lips began to swell. I have had this symptom for 30 years now and no one knows what brings it on. Yes, I've been stressed. Yes, I am in pain. Yes, it is winter and my skin is slightly dry. Yes, I am worried about my work issues/LOA, etc. BUT, these flares have occurred during the stressfree times when I was not in pain and the seasons were bright and warm...there is no rhyme or reason and this is just part of *my* autoimmune, connective tissue, collagen vascular disease. I KNOW all the treatments and I use them all from topical, herbal, oral, mental, spiritual, physical and emotional. It just *is* and I have learned to accept it for what it is and deal with it at the time. My optimistic part of me thinks each flare is the last, though, and I am always a little shocked when it reoccurs.
    My point in all of this? Who the heck knows what causes remissions and relapses? I don't think my 30 years of investigation has told me anything at all. I could easily write a book on my symptoms. If it helps you to continue to investigate, go for it. But, if John and I are just tickled pink for the good days, let us be children and not think about it too much, OK? We just want to throw caution to the wind when we feel well and shout our good fortune to the masses..................................

Love always,
    Kady
  8. sofy

sofy New Member

If it can come on in a flick of a switch why is it so unbelievable that it can go away in the same fashion?