There's a HUGE fake owl in my yard and other stupid stuff...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by painterZ, Jun 17, 2008.

1. painterZ

painterZ New Member

First of all I'm exhausted. It's been well over 24hrs without sleep and I don't know why. I'm too old to keep up that old routine. Anyway, I came home and there was this ENORMOUS owl on a post sitting in my father's little garden. He uses an itty-bitty patch of my itty-bitty yard to grow a garden. Can take the boy out of the farm but...I can't grow a weed and he enjoys coming over and tending his garden, but what's up with the owl? I haven't been able to catch him to ask him. Obviously it's to scare away something but what on Earth is scared of a three foot plastic owl? (BTW, I get it's and its mixed up all of the time so if anyone knows grammar well just jump on in). Dad decided to grow his own garlic this year...don't know why...we have 60-some stalks out there...he swears I can't smell it...I swear I can...I'm surprised the neighbors haven't said anything. My cat got lost on Tuesday evening. She's always by my side and then...gone. I looked in every corner of this house and around the block...twice...she was no where to be found. She's sixteen and has chronic illnesses so I thought she may have tucked herself away to die like many cats do. Well, at 1am there was literally a knock a the door and there stood my skinny, scrawny little cat with BIG eyes asking to come in. She's never left the house before...I have no idea how she even got's been a weird night (see, here again with the it's and idea which is which...sad really). So that's my story...have no idea why I needed to share but where else can you find friends at 3:30am??

2. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

I don't know. Maybe get a real, live, owl?:)
    Nite, mr Bill
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

scared the kitty into coming inside? Maybe?

Does your dad cook? Maybe he's planning to make that famous dish where you put a chicken and umpteen cloves of garlic into a clay pot and bake it for two days.

Or is that the Hawaiian roast pig on a beach?

It will all look different after some sleep.

(I used the A.A.Milne spelling for owl.)

4. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

the owls are meant to keep rabbits and such critters out of your garden.

Since rabbits are prey of owls it is meant to scare the bunnies away from your garden.

My mother has about 10 of those darn things all over the place and it doesn't do any good.

I hope this helps.
  5. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

lots of people have those plastic owls on their balconies. They are to scare away the flying rabbits! Ok, not. They are to scare away pigeons. You see them all over the place but I'm not sure how effective they are. You don't see any flying rabbits, come to think :~)

"It's" is only used for the contraction of: it is. All other times it's its.

I know this but my fingers often put an apostrophe in anyway which is annoying. Also, I seem to remember it was more complicated in my extreme youth and there was occasion to use its' but I could be imagining things.

6. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

ROFL ---- flying rabbits, that is a good one!

I didn't know they used them for pigeons. I just saw a pigeon the other day and it has been years since I've seen one.
  7. painterZ

painterZ New Member

Dad just popped over and said "the boys" (his grandsons) gave it to him for Father's Day. He wants to keep the bunnies and chipmunks away from his garden. Fortunately we don't have flying bunnies around here...thank God because the way bunnies multiply we'd have tons of those creatures dive-bombing the garden :)! Now Dad is getting slugs drunk. He has these little bowls with beer in the bottom to catch some slugs he's angry at for eating his veggie leaves. So now I have a yard that not only has the enormous fake bird, it smells of garlic and beer. Oh well, whatever makes him happy.

Thanks for the grammar lesson too. I don't know why I keep forgetting that rule.