They call it "Gentle Yoga"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JPach007, Nov 18, 2005.

1. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

How many of you have tried Gentle Yoga? I've gone a few times and really like it. I've found that some of the movements I just cannot do, because my muscles are so tight, but I feel good the following day.
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

jpach007:
    A neigbor I know goes to yoga. She is in the advanced class and is a doctor. She said the early movements are hard to adjust to, but it just takes time.
    Where she goes they turn off the lights and use all candles and keep the room very warm purposely (I don't know why).
    Hugs,
    Nyro
  3. renae1979

renae1979 New Member

I LOVE yoga. It does take a while to get used to, but in any good class they should show pose modifications for beginners, etc. It really does help my muscles and helps stress, aches & pains, etc.

They keep the room warm because that helps to relax and loosen the muscles. It is supposed to increase flexibility in your poses.

If you want to try something at home, I would highly recommend any of the beginner tapes/dvd's from Gaiam. If you go to their website they have $1.99 sales and stuff all the time. They have tons of different yoga styles - for relaxation, for weight loss, specifically for the back and much more.

Okay, I'm done now!! : )
  4. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

I first practised (hatha) yoga when I was in my later teens .. I was always stiff and had very little flexibility and I was amazed at how well it worked for me especially being an impatient teenager then.
    I came back to it through out the years and then there was a huge gap until now.
    What I practice before I go to sleep is what I call "Bed Yoga" .. I retire early to my room each evening .. just too tired to sit in the family room .. hubby understands.
    I have 2 pillows under my knees and a heating pad under my lower back .. you get to know when your back muscles start to relax and are ready to stretch.
    I do various leg hugs and stretches .. I'm to the point that I can grasp my ankles and hold the pose well(some what like a jackknife dive pose). It may not sound like much, but believe me .. I am tall and to be able to do what I do, with a fused disc and 4 screws in my lower back is something for me.
    One of the biggest assests is my back feels so much better in the morning .. no aches and pains when I get up .. it really helps get the muscle tension out for a better night's sleep .. this only takes about 20 minutes .. and I would be in bed in any case ..
    I really hope those who would like to try this DO TRY ... it makes the world of difference to me !
    Good Luck
    Fudge : )
    [This Message was Edited on 11/27/2005]
  5. Jeanette62

Jeanette62 New Member

I started Yoga in April before my FMS dx while still recovering from an injury and it has made a world of difference.

The gym I belong to offers the Yoga classes and has three different instructors who are all a little different, but very good. They all focus on being gentle with yourself and never pushing yourself to a point of pain. They all offer alternate positions for beginners or those with any health concerns or injuries.

The focus on breathing technique, the mind body connection and learning to relax your body has really helped me learn to deal with this new dx of FMS, the pain and all the stress that comes with it. It even helped me get through a brain MRI this last week. I thought to myself, breathe and relax like in Yoga when I was starting to feel a little stressed being so confined.

I have regained a lot of my former flexibility as well. If you stick with it long enough those movements you just cannot do when you first start yoga will come and some won't, but that's okay. I remember all the poses I couldn't do when I first started that I can do now and it's a good feeling to be able to do them now.

Jeanette
  6. UPK5

UPK5 New Member

Dear friends,

I started going to a Kripalu yoga class about a year ago. It has really helped my body feel better. It is very gentle stretching. We are never supposed to go beyond what our bodies can handle. Our yoga teacher has FMS herself. She was a therapist first and took yoga to help with her own pain. She liked it so much, she became a certified Kripalu yoga teacher. She calls herself, yogashrink. She is a therapist who also practices and helps people relieve tension through yoga. It has made a difference in my life & some of my friend's lives too. I highly recommend trying a gentle yoga class, if you haven't already done so.
  7. Pinky

Pinky New Member

I love it! Give it a try, it helps me to feel relaxed and more able to endure the pain of this DD!
    Debbie
  8. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I have been doing gentle yoga (viniyoga) for about a year, and it has been wonderful! My class is designed specifically for people with limitations like fibromyalgia and multiple sclerosis, both of which I have. We work mostly in a chair, but we also do some exercises (stretches, really) on the floor or standing using a wall or the back of a chair for support.

I have always had lousy posture and could never sense when I was standing or sitting straight. In recent years, I also have felt that I was running out of breath because I was "forgetting" to inhale. Since starting yoga, I am sitting and standing straighter, and I know how to manage my breathing so that I'm getting enough air. (Inhaling properly also helps me straighten up.)

As a side benefit, I have lost about 12 pounds! And that's without any other exercising or any conscious changes in diet--though I do find that I now actually *want* to have salads occasionally!

How many people are in your "gentle yoga" class? Does your teacher try to modify the exercises/poses to accommodate each student's limitations? My teacher does that, but we have a very small class (usually three). She doesn't want to have any more than five in this kind of class, because she really wants to give each of us as much individual support and attention as she can.

My husband is going to more active yoga classes with the same teacher, and he has lost weight, too, also with no conscious change in diet.

I still have some fibro pain, but not nearly as much as I did before yoga. And once when my PCP was pressing the tender points as part of a checkup, I didn't even realize what he was doing until he'd pressed on at least half of them!

I hope you get as much benefit out of gentle yoga as I have.

--Laura R.M.
  9. spacee

spacee Member

It has been very good for me but wanted to "warn" those who are sensitive to fragrances. One night I got a bad headache and felt very nauseus, asked the teacher if she was using a different candle and she was! Graciously she didn't use it again.

Hugs, Spacee
  10. MrHappyGoLucky12

MrHappyGoLucky12 New Member

NyroFan,

I used to practice Bikram yoga. The recommended room temperature is a **minimum** 105 degrees at about 40% humidity! The room is kept at this temperature for the following reasons: protecting the muscles to allow for deeper stretching; detoxing the body (open pores to let toxins out); thinning the blood to clear the circulatory system; increasing the heart rate for better cardiovascular workout; improving strength by putting muscle tissue in an optimal state for reorganization; and to reorganize the lipids (fat) in the muscular structure. It sounds like bunch of crap, but it's incredibly beneficial and makes sense. It's hard! I can't handle any form of yoga anymore.

MrHappyGoLucky12
  11. petsrme

petsrme Member

I used to do the yoga tape called Yoga for Dummies. You know those dummy series books and tapes? It was really easy and I liked it. I fell out of the habit though. I keep thinking about pulling it out and trying it again. It was very easy and made me feel like I was doing something to keep active.