Thigh and Hip Pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Apr 3, 2009.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

Does anyone have horrible hip and thigh pain, especially at night and often during the day.
    The pain is so bad I can't tell if its bone or muscle. Hurts on both sides and my upper legs. This is something new that keeps getting worse, especially if I sit, stand or walk not during but afterwards. I can lie down but during the night lying in bed on my side they began to hurt. I am not sure if this is CFS/FM related . I did mention the pain to my PA and she said oh its fibro, if its fibro why did it just start about a year ago and keeps getting worse.

I have been thinking of seeing an Ortho. but not sure what is going on.

I do have body aches in other places that come and go but nothing like this thigh, hip and upper leg pain.

[This Message was Edited on 04/04/2009]
  2. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

some kind of arthritis to me. Esp. since it started a yr. ago, & is getting worse. My arthritis in combo w/fibro/cfs flares at different times in different areas of my body. I get it in my hands, right knee, hip & lower back. And of course w/my feet. The plantar fasicitis thing.

But osteoarthritis will do that. My right hip esp. hurts when lying on my side or sitting towards that side. For me, it just depends where & when it will hit & for how long. Disgusting at best. I use the heating pad & arth. strength tylenol during those times.

Do you have a rheumy? Perhaps she/he could check that out for you...And I love the icy hot patches when it's really bad.. :eek:)

So sorry you are going thru all of this. One gets so tired of guessing what's going to happen next w/this dd, & of course all the rest that goes along w/it.

Hope you can have a relatively pain free weekend...My between the shoulder blade pain is acting up for me this past week. siiiiiiggggghhhhh!!

3. 3gs

3gs New Member

The pain you are having is likely caused my your fibro. Sounds like the myofasical type pain. Its where you get knots and muscles are tense.

The thing that helps me the most is my NUCCA chrio. It relaxes the muscles. Sometimes we dont reaelize how much our muscles are tensing up. Massage the area gently with a tennis ball.

Symptoms with this dd can start at anytime. Weren't you just doing 2hrs of sitting? I can barely sit anymore stand or lie on side. understand that bone deep ache and like someone punched you or there should be a bruise there.

won't hurt to see ortho but Ive been there done that and it was the fibro cfs/myofasical pain.
  4. loto

loto Member

I was experiencing the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Did your legs also feel "heavy" when you walked? I had just assumed I was having sciatica, as I have a history of that. In fact, 4 years ago I had micro back surgery for a huge herniated disc in my lower back, that was causing major sciatic nerve pain to go down my left leg, sometimes my right, also. Anyway, that was the beginning of my health going downhill! I'm not yet 40! But, long story short, the surgery did help, but i do get sciatica flare ups once in a while. Have you had an mri of your discs, or have any problems with them that you know of?? I'm so glad my surgery helped me out 90%, but then last year I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, and have been dealing with more and more strange things since! It's so hard to try and figure out why these pains happen, and what exactly is causing them, when we have FM! Hopefully you'll get some relief and answers soon. My pain in my hips and legs have subsided for the most part, but I still can't lie on my left side for very long. My hip gets to hurting so bad!! Good luck to you gg.
  5. cph13

cph13 Member

HI Gg,
    Same thing here started Oct. I went for an MRI of the right hip and pelvis. It's bursitis. Hurts like WOW! Can't lie on that side to sleep actually, the other side is joining in. I go to PT, walk, take celebrex (helps a bit) flector patch for pain, diatec lotion whatever it takes. The inflamation in the bursa is my problem that won't let up. Try to get an MRI your primary care can order that in most cases. PT is amazing for fibro in general. Good luck, I don't know how to fix it but at least I can say "it's not fibro"
    AMEN cph
  6. sgood242

sgood242 New Member

I have that, too. I even went for an xray of my hip. and nothing showed up being wrong. It made me crazy, because while I walked my hip would buckle.

Then I found out I have fibermyalgia ( guess I've had it for about 30 or 40 years until I was diagnosed.) I kept going to get stuff fixed, determined to feel better.

But That pain is the worst! It feels like it goes down to the bone. Do you take pain pills? They won't work for me.

7. daylight

daylight New Member

Been having hip pain for little over a year. But for my its arthritis RA .
    I'd get checked out . Could be a nerve thing or arthritis but either way you need to know if its
    not getting better. It could also be Osteo arthritis . But pain is pain ....I'd get check out.
    I've been stupid putting off an xray and now it really hurt to walk even a few feet or sit/sleep .
    Please don't wait to long.
  8. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I already get lower back and hip arthritis, but lately, I'm getting thigh pain along with it. I don't know what it is. It feels like nerve pain and pulling. I was starting to wonder if it's the beginning of RLS. I don't know. But it's been happening lately and it's definitely a new one on me.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

This is the very pain I first had in my 20's, long before I knew I had FMS. The docs didn't know what caused it. I came and went. After my illnesses were triggered full blown, it became worse. The Guai Protocol and the Klonopin have really helped me with the pain. I also have found ibuprophen and Epsom Salt soaks to be most helpful.

I hope you can find relief. From what I've read here, this is a common type of pain in FMS. Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  10. greatgran

greatgran Member

for all your replies and help. I finally went to bed and stayed a couple of days only getting up when necessary and the pain went away. Now I still have body aches and some hip, thigh and leg aches but nothing like I had. Seems rest is the only thing that helps. I am also taking an antibiotic for another sinus infection and that seems to help or maybe its just the rest.

I did leave the house till yesterday but had some things I had to do, hubby went with me . So I did get some grocries, had other errands to do and helped with the grans awhile. Guess that was to much as I didn't sleep much last night , awake at three am , feeling depressed, achy, and like I am taking the flu so more rest today. How good it is to get out of the house but seems to do more harm than good.

So, guess its my CFS and FM .

God bless,
  11. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

I have been diagnosed with FM and yes over the last 12 months zor so I too have been getting these pains
    My doctor also says its FM, dont forget greatgran, FM travels and changes. I too find that after some sleep its much better and ofcourse the the wonderfull painkillers!!!!!

Good luck and angel hugs

12. jaynesez

jaynesez New Member

I too have been experiencing this lately and yes, it is brutal! If you start pushing on your rump muscles I guarantee you'll find a very sore and tender spot, otherwise known as a Trigger Point, which differs greatly from a tender point. These cause pain to radidiate elsewhere, and I have several in my rump muscles. Just like 3gs, posted, this is more than likely the case. You will need to rub this out and it will hurt like heck, but it will be worth it in the end. I am also tossing and turning due to hip pain, and you need to either use a tennis ball like 3gs suggested, or get one of those little wooden or plastic self massagers to help rub it out (they are cheap). Usually they have three prongs with balls on the end and will definately help. There are also trigger points located on the side of your outer legs, say mid-thigh muscles, usually three in a row, verticle and this can also account for thigh pain. Good luck sweetie and try and do a search on trigger points!
  13. annkennedy

annkennedy New Member

Try researching procedures with the patient's own stem cells for hip pain. I know someone who had this done instead of knee replacement and is doing great.
  14. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

My leg pain is my main and biggest problem w/my Fibro. Many many years ago I had xrays done to rule out arthritis or something else going on w/my knees. I couldnt walk up the stairs, had to crawl. I've always had leg 'aches' for as long as I can remember.

In the past few years, the pain has increased significantly. Without realizing it, I am always rubbing my legs, hips, knees. Other people have pointed it out to me.

Being a new symptom doesn't matter - it can be Fibro pain. My arms have recently begun hurting/aching. I know that when my forearms ache when I wake up, I'm in for it that day.

I always sleep with a pillow between my legs - always. If I'm on my back, I put the pillow under my knees. I also use a heating pad regularly on the back of my thighs, or wrap it around my hip. (not easy to do that one)

For the longest time I swore it was in my bones, doc explained that it 'feels' that way, but it's actually everything that is surrounding them. My thigh muscles ache like H3LL!

Do follow up on finding out if your pain is coming from a different source. You never know.
    However, just cause it's new, it can still be Fibro. Very common for pain to change, move, etc.

Try some capzasin to see if you get any relief at all. Be VERY careful. It can burn - you don't want to put too much on. Wash your hands immediately and don't use a heating pad at the same time. Shower first so the hot water doesn't hurt.

I hope you find some relief. I absolutely know how horrible this pain can be!

15. coolma

coolma New Member

leg pain for 13 years..walked with a cane for 8 years...leg pain and stiffness getting bad is fibro, and maybe arthritis too. I was told vit. B12 shots will help. You might want to check that out. I know I will!
  16. momof27

momof27 New Member

for three weeks now I have this same pain I started taking asprin because I thought it might be my heart I don't want any clots
  17. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I've come to accept that wherever the pain appears, it's just my Fibro traveling around. Done enough tests in my long life, and always nothing serious shows; just the inflammatory issue.

Dealt w/sciatica for years, and for that I take a chinese herb by "Plum Flower" called Solitary Hermit. And I also put magnetic braces up over my knees. Wear those alot. Also on my wrists when I'm typing.

For my back, hips, knees, ankles, I just discovered that a homeopathic by Standard Process called Ruta Grav 30C is helping alot. Also just started L-tryptophane at night & it's relaxing my muscles. Next I"ll try the transdermal magnesium.

And when I get those "knots" anywhere, I put a "spot" magnet on it. It increases the
    circulation and has been a magical pain tool for me.

The two topicals that help me are Traumeel and Painstop (health food store items).

Oh, and I also wear a back brace (not magnetic). I have more pain tools in my house than food!!

Wish I could take pain RX's but never have been able to.

I'm just glad I'm in my late 60's; and not like some who are so young & dealing with this.

Good luck w/finding some tools that work for you.
  18. tennisnut

tennisnut New Member

but having been through all this sciatic pain and still going. You should first look to your "comfy" chair. If you are sinking in at the back, it could easily cause this pain.

Even though I have made sure my chair is firm (by numerous undercushions) I will still get increased pain if I sit too long in the same chair.

Unfortunately, sitting is what I seem to do quite a lot of. Therefore it is a viscous circle, because excercise and moving would probably eliminate this for me. Good luck, TN
  19. Mussolini

Mussolini New Member

I had deep hip, thigh and back of knee pains. Did stretching and all sorts of heat pads, vibration and Ben-Gay.

Problem was, while Ben Gay normally works, this wasn't a muscle ache.

Here is what worked:

Take a magnesium supplement when feeling this pain. I was having trouble sitting due to the pain and found someone else who had taken magnesium and said it worked with amazing results.

I took a single magnesium pill and the pain almost vanished within the span of about 5 minutes. There is still a hint of it as I type, but receding.

What. A. Relief.

The doctors generally just want to prescribe some pills that do nothing but create more problems. Finding a doctor that really cares about your health and not your wealth is hard to do.
  20. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

GG, I have been suffering with this for 2 months now! Just my right hip and thigh. And when I'm walking a lot it absolutely kills me!!!

It's so bad, even my pain meds hardly touches it, and it wakes me during the night.

Your guess is as good as mine :/