Thigh, Knee Pain; Toe Pain/Stiffness

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dhcpolwnk, Mar 11, 2009.

1. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

Hi, all. It took a lot of trial and error to log in to this board now that I've changed browsers, but since I finally managed to do it, I have some questions that may or may not be relevant to fibro. If not, please excuse me for sidetracking the discussion.

I have multiple health conditions, and when I ask my doctors about certain symptoms, the say they don't know what's going on and then refer me to one of my other doctors--who then refers me back to the first doctor or to yet another one. The one good thing about this is that for the moment, the symptoms I'm trying to deal with are relatively mild. But if possible, I want to figure this out before things get any worse.

Here's what's going on:

For the last week or two, my right thigh muscle has felt sore and achy. I thought for a while it was because of stress I was putting on my right knee. So I stopped the activity (activities) I thought might be responsible. But the pain is still there and even seems to be spreading. Today, I also felt a slight burning in the area of the aching.

I have tried massaging the area in case the problem might be related to circulation, but although the massage makes me feel a bit better while I'm doing it, the pain comes back after I stop.

Meanwhile, I've been waking up every morning with pain and stiffness in my toes. I have both multiple sclerosis and diabetes, either of which *might* be the cause, but neither my neurologist nor my diabetic adviser seems to think the symptoms fit.

In the past, I've been very impressed by the range of knowledge on this board--and by the generosity of board members to help. So I thought I'd ask if this sounds familiar to anybody.

Thanks in advance for any information/ideas/suggestions you might have.

Laura R.M.
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

Hi glad you figured out how to come abroad!

Since your docs said that symptoms are related to MS or diabetes what you describe does sound like Fibro or CFS have you been dianogsed with either? also myofaiscal pain.
    There is alot of good info on here. What pain meds do you take?
    any natural supplements?

vit d grapeseed extract calcium/magnsium MSM are ones Im using.also Lortab.

wish you the best with the struggles you all ready have keep us posted

3. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I do have fibromyalgia--as well as MS, diabetes, kidney disease, GERD, bronchiectasis and probably some other things I can't think of at the moment. For fibro pain, I take generic Neurontin (100 mg capsules 3x/day), generic Wellbutrin (100 mg 1/day), extra-strength acetaminophen (and occasionally, ibuprofen). I'm also on a ton of medications for my various conditions, including a weekly shot of Avonex for my MS.

I was taking multi-minerals before the attack of acute pancreatitis that ultimately led to my diabetes diagnosis, but after I was diagnosed with kidney disease and spoke to a renal pharmacist, I stopped most of the minerals and limited my vitamin intake, too. (I still take Vitamins BC and D.) Many if not most of the minerals I was taking can cause problems for the kidneys, though, and I do *not* want to wind up on dialysis!

I think my husband takes MSM. I'll take a closer look at the bottle and maybe ask my renal pharmacist about it. Thanks for the suggestions.

Laura R.M.

[This Message was Edited on 03/11/2009]
  4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

It can be wonderful for pain, but make sure that you start with a really small does (1/4 tsp of the powder or less)....keep it that low for at least a week, if not quite a bit longer, then go up in small increments (1/8 to 1/4 tsp at a time)....otherwise it can cause herxing.....unfortunately even starting that way was too much for me....I don't want to discourage you, bc it can really work well (& it did make a HUGE difference in my pain levels even with such a small amt), and it's generally well tolreated by most people and natural....I just wanted to warn you, though, bc it took me a good month to figure out what was causing my problems, and meanwhile I was EXTREMELY dizzy, short of breath, and having a bunch of other issues that were pretty scary and wound up sending me to the ER....that said, I may still try to take it again, just starting even more slowly....this time I will know what is going on if I have problems, but if I can manage it, it will be worth it for the decrease in pain