Thigh numbness when standing

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ldoty, Jul 15, 2008.

1. ldoty

ldoty New Member

I was diagnosed 2 years ago with FM. When I stand for more than 30 to 45 minutes my thighs go numb. When I asked my rheumatologist about this, his response was that I am overweight and my stomach may be pushing on a nerve. I was quite surprised by his answer. I know that I am overweight, approx. 45 pounds, but didn't expect that answer. Does this happen to anyone else? Is it part of FM?

2. Tootsie56

Tootsie56 New Member

I was diagnosed with FM in 1983. A few months ago I started having numbness in my right thigh. I also have the feeling of "pins and needles" at the same time. I am overweight to a degree. I am also wondering if it is a part of FM.
  3. vito1234

vito1234 New Member

yes it is and i m not ovreweight
  4. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

I was diagnosed in June and I've had numbness in my hands, feet, arms and legs off and on for most of the last 2 months.

I'm not overweight either. I have the numbness sitting or standing and nothing seems to make it go away. I did some reading and it seems like a symptom for some people with FM.

Susan :)
  5. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

When I sit on a hard chair my legs go numb and/or I get bad pins and needles in them.

It's really scary - I'm not sure what causes it but I suspect something to do with either nerves in lower back being compressed/muscles being too tight and therefore circulation stopping or a combo of both.

Sorry you feel like this - I can relate.

Love Bunchy x
  6. tansy

tansy New Member

This first happened when I was pregnant; I was told this was due to pressure on a nerve; it resolved a while after after giving birth.

When I mentioned this to a Gyn in more recent years he told me it was more likely to have originated in my spine and was related to an inherited hypermobility trait.

This problem returned in the 80s. It's actually the least bothersome of the various nerve deficits I've had so I hope yours proves to be equally benign.

I've only been overweight (by about 28lbs) for a few years in my long illness; losing that excess weight made no difference to the numbness in my thigh.

tc, Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 07/29/2008]
  7. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

My guess is that the doc didn't know what it was. How can you diagnos something pushing on a nerve without an xray to back it up.

Thigh numbness was my first big symptom of FM. I still have it and I am on Lyrica, it is just not as bad. But you will catch me rubbing my thighs every single day.

Can you find another rheumatologist who is more sympathetic to FM?

Good Luck - Lillie
  8. frosty77

frosty77 New Member

I've had FM for 35+ years and have always had pins and needles in my legs while sitting. Lately my butt also goes numb.

Weirdly a year or so ago, I've gotten the thigh numbness while standing. For me if I stand longer than 10 minutes in one place, the thighs go numb. I'm overweight, but have been that way for 10 years. I just chalked this up to another FM symptom.
  9. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

Boy, my butt goes numb now too, and my butt 'bones' HURT.

So you will see me walking through Meijer's rubbing my butt!

10. ldoty

ldoty New Member

At least now I know I am not crazy...thanks for all the great answers....