Thigh tenderness - Mikie

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by deepak, Feb 7, 2012.

1. deepak

deepak Member

Dear Mikie :),

Was reading the Fibro book and it says

The most important site for confirming the diagnosis and assuring future success is the left thigh. The outside of the quadriceps muscle (Vastus lateralis) and the front part (Rectus femoris) are involved in 100% of adults and clear within the first month upon attaining adequate dosages.

I have pain mostly in my upper body - cant say my left thigh feels particularly tender or painful.....

Do you have any view on this ? Did you have the pain mentioned in the left thigh ? I asked his nurse Claudia and she said not all patients with FM have pain ! ?? Her replies are kind of laconic and terse so I am a bit nervous I will irritate her if i ask too much :)). Do you know any support groups for Guai and his protocol ?

Very happy to read about your peptide success and praying for you. Had tears of joy rolling down when I read those posts :)

2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I think there is a support group on Dr. St. Amand's website, at least, there used to be. If not, you can probably find one online. Please try not to worry too much about where you are "supposed" to have pain. We are all different. A lot of us have tender points where our arms and legs would be attached to our bodies if we were dolls. My old rheumy diagnoses using only one test. He runs his fingers down the front of the shin bone and if it hurts like crazy, he says you have FMS. My Mom and I had always had very tender shins and mine would hurt when I skied or ran, even when I was young before I knew what I had.

When you start the Guai and get to your dose, your tender points will let you know where they are by the pain you feel when the Gaui starts pulling the debris out of them. This is why you need to start with the FA Guai and start out slowly. If you take the time-release form, and your dose is too high, you will get a lot of pain which will last until the dose wears off. The idea is to go at a pace you can tolerate. You can always increase the dose later. You have to take a dose large enough to actually pull the debris out and not just a maintenance dose so small that all it does is handle that day's debris. When your symptoms are reversed, you will switch to the maintenance dose.

Evidently, the peptide injections have started to heal the tubules in my kidneys so that they can handle the debris and not deposit it in my tender points. Every now and then, I will get what feels like a Guai flare even though I'm no longer taking it. So my body is evidently still pulling debris out all by itself.

Thanks for your sweet good wishes. I send my good wishes to you for success on the Guai. Claudia is very busy so she keeps her responses to a minimum. It's OK to ask her things but if you post here, I'll do my best to answer the questions I can. We used to have people here who were successful on the treatment but as they got better, they stopped coming here.

Love, Mikie
  3. deepak

deepak Member

Dear mikie,

You talk about the tubules in your kidney being healed with the peptides, so that they can handle the peptide. Does that imply that kidneys not functioning properly may be a reason for FM and them not being able to handle the debris and deposit it in the tender points ?

Its so confusing - on some days I feel so much better , I wonder if I have any problem at all and then on some days I feel so terrible - nerves paining is one sign of FM , right ?

One more unrelated question :)

Do you have any idea if the peptides work for severe osteoarthritis of the knees ? Mom has that and the docs advise knee replacement but she does not want to do that as yet . I have emailed Dr Dakos' office too regarding this .

Love ,
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's not unusal to have good days and bad days with FMS. FMS is a soft-tissue/connective tissue illness and nerve pain may or may not be involved. It's not unusual for us to have other conditions along with our FMS. We can have damaged tendons and other problems.

The peptide injections will help OA but I'm not sure they will do away with any damage already done to the joints. I supposedly have OA in my wrists and hands. The first shot stopped the pain, inflammation and swelling but the slight deformity to one wrist and several fingers are permanent.

Dr. St. Amand explains better than I can about the kidneys and how people with FMS cannot excrete debris so it goes back into the bloodstream and is deposited in our tender points. I had to read some parts of the book several times because it is a lot to understand and, at the time, I had some pretty bad fog. The most important things to understand are getting rid of the sals and finding the right dose. If you want to, you can just take it for granted that the doc knows what he's talking about and just go from there if the theory becomes too much to take in. This is especially true when he gets to discussing the Kreb's Cycle.

I, personally, believe that, while the doc's theory is true, the Guai likely works for additional reasons than he theorizes. The thing is that, for me, it did work so nothing else much matters. It's the same with the peptide injections. I know as much as I need to and the rest is "magic." What counts is results. Good luck. If you want to write down your questions as you read, you can ask them here. If you go back and reread the parts which left you with questions, you may get them answered. It's a lot to take in all at once.

Love, Mikie