think i might have fms

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dmhaver, Jan 23, 2003.

1. dmhaver

dmhaver New Member

i thought i was loosing my mind but a friend suggested i be tested for fms. i guess i want answers sooner than my appointment with the fms dr's. i have had nothing but "its all in your head for years" and now that there may be a light at the end of the tunnel i guess i'm looking for answers. my symptoms are insomnia, as i call it prickly face(cheeks), soreness on lower back, base of neck, both forearms, tingly feet and finger(sometimes hands)memory and concentration difficulties, zero tolerance to flourescent lights, sensitive to certain smells, sounds, ringing in my ears(at times-it lasted one time for nine months) etc. well i unfortuantely could go on but is this fms?
  2. 2girls

2girls New Member

Welcome! It sure sounds like FM - all symptoms are very familiar. I think FM is more a dx of elimination. Have you been tested for any autoimmune disorders? Looks like I got lucky - went only 1 1/2 yrs of testing before the "tender points" exam for FM. You should talk to your doctor about this, and DO NOT let him/her convince you it is "all in your head". You obviously know better but we hear it so often we sometimes think they might be on to something. FM is very real - we do not make the symptoms up. Who wants to be sick anyhow?

Good luck
    2girls
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi, welcome to the board. For your sake, I hope you have something that can be cured.

Yes, I have a lot of the symptoms you mentioned, except for the ringing ears. Mine just itch for no apparent reason.

If you will go to the 'Home' page, and the 'Library' at the top of this board, you can read some great articles on Fibromyalgia.

Again, welcome to the board, and let us know what the doctor has to day.

Shalom, Shirl

4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There are many conditions which mimic ours, so until the tests of exclusion come back normal, it's very difficult to say. Good luck to you and let us know.

Love, Mikie
  5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Welcome! FM is a tough thing to pin down-----many of us have had it for years before getting a diagnosis, others were dx'd right away. I certainly have many of the symptoms you describe, the prickly face-feeling, tingling feet & fingers, arm pain most notably. It's good that you've set up an appointment, hopefully someone who is really skilled with FM diagnosis & treatment.

Your symptoms sound like mine, in that the severe pain part is less a problem than the neurological, cognitive, sleep disturbance problems, etc. For the longest time I myself dismissed FM as a dx, because I did not suffer from severe, daily pain---and when I did have pain, it was more tolerable to me than the tingling, muscle twitching, burning sensations. After researching thoroughly & many more doctor visits & tests, I learned that the intense neuro. symptoms are a big problem for a subset of us who have FM; then there are those who tend not to suffer from so much of this, but have much more severe pain. No wonder this illness is so difficult to treat, and not every treatment works for every person!

I wish you luck on your doctor visit, and if you do get an FM dx, rest assured that this is a great place to find out lots of information on every facet of FM.

Take care,
    Pam
    [This Message was Edited on 01/24/2003]