Think You May Have FM Prior To DX?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BlueSky555, Jun 6, 2006.

1. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I was just curious to know if anyone thought or almost knew that they had FM prior to being diagnosed as having it?

I didn't even know about CFS/FM until a friend of mine told me she had it, then I was doing some searching and found this board.

Thank you for your responses.

BlueSky555
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Couldn't understand why I all of a sudden felt so awful. Looked up symptoms, etc. and went from there.

Sure enough.

Glad you found this board. You are a great person and I enjoy your posts and personality.

Sue
  3. tammyopus

tammyopus New Member

I hadn't the slightest idea what it was that I had - if I even had anything. I've had all sorts of weird symptoms and lo and behold now that I know I have FM they all finally make sense - it stinks but at least now I know I'm not crazy!
  4. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Thank you so much, fivesue, for the nice compliment. You found out almost as I did; just think, if we had not looked into what we were dealing with, we still wouldn't know about this DD. I'm glad we found out.

Also, tammyopus, I had also thought about that myself but never mentioned it. I did think that people thought that I was a hypochondriac (I can't spell either). I am glad you also found out.

Everyone here is so friendly. Thank you,

BlueSky555
  5. sisland

sisland New Member

This is a very good post! I was ill off and on for years and had no clue what to make of any of it! ........................after i had to leave work and go to the Dr.in 1998 he sent me home with 6 perscriptions!.................Yikes!! I refused to take them and things just got worse!...................................my girls said "Mom" you have to take these meds to get better! and so i started the long journey into meds and Fibro!! one nite i was talking to my cousin Karen on the phone and she was telling me she had Fibro .......................................and was telling me all the symptoms, mailed me a bunch of articales on it and i took them to my Dr. and said I think this is what i have and he said Yes it is what you have ..........................................................but refered me to a neurologist and he refered me to a Rhmy!..............................................................and that was the end of the line for Dr.s but yes what a strange diorder this is!!................................sorry i got kind of windy! take care sisland
    [This Message was Edited on 06/06/2006]
  6. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

When I started having symptoms a friend of mine suggested that I might have Fibromyalgia. I had never heard of it before her comment.

Lola
  7. azbubba

azbubba New Member

...I thought I fit CFS. However, a gal I work closely with at work told me about FM, and said that what I was describing sounded a lot like it.

About 2 mos later, I saw a rheumatologist that just today confirmed it for sure.

I especially didn't think about it, because I had never heard of men having it. Guess I'm not the only one, though...
  8. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I would like to thank you all for the responses. I have seen that some here on the board have had this DD for many years. You know the saying, "what you don't know, won't hurt you"? Well, that's not true, is it? What some of us didn't know, WAS hurting us.

Welcome newbies,

BlueSky555
  9. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

in fact, I believe I wouldn't be diagnosed to this day if I hadn't brought it up to the dr. myself!

I was horribly ill, in pain, and virtually bedridden and all the tests kept coming back normal. Then my sister mentioned that the symptoms sounded a lot like what her ex-MIL had (FM). So I printed off a bunch of info from the internet and that's what finally got the dr. on the right track with a referral to a rheumy who diagnosed it right away. I'd only been pursuing answers and getting worse and worse for 8 or 9 years through half a dozen different doctors at that point!

Best wishes,
    Janelle