Thinking about going to nursing school

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TNhayley, Aug 7, 2003.

1. TNhayley

TNhayley New Member

Hi All,

I've been away for a while, between a lightning storm eating my modem and my need to step back and enjoy the summer with my boys. But, I'm back to lurking on a semi-regular basis again.

My question is to any and all healthcare providers (and I know there are a lot of you here)and/or anyone with an opinion on the subject, both working and non: What do you think about someone with Fibro going A) back to school and B)becoming a nurse in particular. I think I may have enough of a handle on my SX to do it physically. I'm a little concerned about my short term memory, but I am smart... just not sure if that will really make any difference.

I think being home all the time is leading to frustration and depression. It seems as if the graphic designer in me has passed on ... and there is a new me seeking her way. And I want more knowledge ... and I want the ability to help others in "our" world. Nursing seems like a good plan. Graphic Design carries with it a lot of stress, but to me it is sensless stress, in other words, working like a dog to make some other sucker rich ... it's not worth it. I wonder what kinds of stress nurses face ... and if the "meaningfulness" of it makes it easier to cope with?

So, any comments on nursing, pro and con ... any encouragement or blunt facts, whatever ... would be appreciated! Thank you!
    Hayley
  2. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

My sister is a nurse and while she doesn't have FM she does have back and feet problems. It seems physically it can be very taxing on her. It would also depend I'm sure on where you worked, sis now works all night on the elderly after surgery floor.

I wish you well.
  3. darlamk

darlamk New Member

Unfortunately it has taken it's toll on my body but only because I allowed it to. If I had my career to do over I would maintain a sane level of work hours and not do all the extra shifts, day/nights, etc. I was always one that could never say no when asked to work extra. I also worked 12 hour shifts for years - always in neonatal or pediatric critical care areas. It is a great career and always so interesting! I have an undying interest in science and the miracle of how our bodies work. There are some great economic incentives for financing education out there now due to the nursing shortage in most areas of the country. Just take care of yourself and keep your priorities straight! It's important to be with your boys too. :) Good luck, Darla
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

In whatever you decide. I think nursing is a noble profession, but it is very stressful and demanding physically and mentally. If you feel you can handle it, go for it.

A high number of people with CFIDS are in the nursing profession. In one cluster outbreak, one half of those afflicted were nurses and another ten percent worked in some area of healthcare. I suspect this is because nurses are exposed to a lot of pathogens and are usually under stress, not a good combination. Not trying to be negative here, just realistic.

I wish you good luck in your decision and with whatever you decide to do. You could certainly try it and see how it goes. There are jobs in docs' offices and home health care where you might be able to work fewer hours or work part time in a hospital if full time is too much.

Love, Mikie
  5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I am in the same boat as you; your sentiments regarding being home all the time leading to frustration & depression struck a chord with me; I have been home for the past 11 years, at first by choice to raise my daughter, the last few years because of FM & my nervousness about feeling consistently well enough to work at any job. And I echo the worries of the cognitive stuff being an issue, too; I was a smart college student, but that was years ago, before FM.

I've been feeling better for the past few months & decided to look for work in my previous field (special education classroom aiding) which wouldn't pay much, but, assuming I can handle that, then I have decided to take one class at a time toward getting my teaching credential (have a BA, but no formal education classes). I have found a college here that really tries to customize its hours & programs to the working older adult & has a credentialing program. All this seems very ambitious for someone with FM, and it scares me sometimes. But the feeling you spoke of propels me now. I've had a supportive husband all these years, but still I find myself frustrated & restless, desiring to earn even a tiny amount of salary myself, anxious to be with other adults in a working environment, wanting to do something that matters to someone.

So, I say, see what you can handle, but do try! As I've never been a nurse, I can't speak directly to that, but we have some fine health field professionals here who can, so you'll get lots of feedback there. But as one who's had similar thoughts & dreams as you, I encourage you to at least try. I keep telling myself, I will never know what my mind and body can handle if I don't at least make the attempt.

I'm rooting for you!!

Hugs,
    Pam
  6. TNhayley

TNhayley New Member

In my gut, this feels right. I'm going to have to work ... and I really want to work, but for me its important for my heart to be in it. Hugs to all!
    Hayley
  7. BethM

BethM New Member

I received my RN license in 1980, my BSN in 1981. Worked 5 years for Kaiser Hospital, half of the time floating in the hospital, and the second half managing the evening urgent care pediatric clinic. The clinic work was a great job, but the floor work in hospital was very taxing, and that was when I was young and much healthier! I've worked in school health since 1985, with no regrets. I'm telling you this to illustrate that there are many areas of nursing OTHER than hospital work, if you so choose. I know darn well if I went back to hospital shift work, it would probably do me in at this point in my life. School health gives me a Monday through Friday schedule, daytime hours, holidays off, a good salary and benefits, and while my kids were young, I was off work when they were off school. Even though I can generally pace my day in my job, I still come home exhausted many days, and have to be careful to take good care of myself.

If you feel drawn to nursing, go for it, give a try, we need more nurses. You won't know until you try, whether you can handle the load. I bet you can! Just stay aware of your needs, and don't get too caught up in the caregiver role so that you forget about yourself. Good luck!

Peace,
    Beth.
  8. kgg

kgg New Member

Have you considered massage therapy? It is a shorter program educationally and when you get done you will make more than a nurse. A lot of nurses become massage therapists. You can work in a salon, chiropractors office or right out of your home. Set your own hours and have much less stress.

I relate to your being bored and wanting a different direction. Anyway, that's what I am considering. You help people feel better and improve their health without losing yours.

Wishing you well on your journey whatever you decide.

-Karen
  9. TNhayley

TNhayley New Member

for any more advice from all :)
    Hayley