Thinking About Taking An Anti-Depressants for Fibro Pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JLH, Nov 4, 2005.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

Thinking about taking an anti-depressant for your fibro pain?

Then read this:

Antidepressants, in addition to relieving depression, also can help relieve chronic pain. They are typically prescribed for the chronic pain of fibromyalgia rather than for arthritis.

These drugs work by blocking pain messangers in the brain.
    Antidepressants are sometimes used to help people with arthritis break out of the pain and depression cycle.

These drugs also can help improve sleep quality, which in turn may help reduce pain. The doses used to treat pain and sleep problems are usually lower than those used for depression.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Source: www.arthritis.org

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I used to take Prozac for year; however, have been on Cymbalta for the last 8-10 months.

It is working great! I did notice an immediate reduction in pain when I started it!

Hugs,
    Janet
  2. Sachmo

Sachmo New Member

Isn't cymbalta an anti-depressant that is prescribed for pain?
  3. juliejo

juliejo New Member

Hi Janet,
    I too take Prozac and have been doing for over 2 year's now for Fibro/CFS.
    It does help with the pains of Fibro and also helps me cope during the day as it lifts my mood for a few hours.
    I take 20mg after breakfast each day and within an hour i feel so much more relaxed.
    I am also taking Lyrica as present, been posting alot on the lyrica thread lately. (PREGABALIN).

Amytriptilin is the usual one that they give you to start with but i had a very adverse reaction to it.

I shall stick with Prozac if need be for the rest of my life if it helps me lead a better quality of life.
    Juliejox
  4. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

hello jlh !
    I take 100 mgs of amitryptilyne (spelling not accurate this morning .. sigh ) .. They started me off immediately with it at a low dose about 4 years ago. It doesn't help much with sleep and perhaps my body is resisting it now.
    BUT ... it has a remarkable bonus affect on my touchy bladder which makes my life a lot easier .. I don't have to run to the bathroom all the time and also that issue doesn't have me up and down all night like it used to.
    So I'm very grateful for that side benefit !
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

Sachmo: Yes, Cymbalta is an A-D that is prescribed for pain. It is also approved by the American Diabetic Association for diabetics to use.

Juliejo: I also take Neurotin, which is similar to Lycria, I think. It also helps with my fibro pain.

willow_whisp: I'm on 60 mg of Cymbalta and I can tell a difference on my pain level. I am still in a heck of a lot of pain, but the Cymbalta does help!!

fudge43: I was started off with Elavil, but I couldn't even take 10 mg, let alone 100 mg!!! I had to cut the 10 mg tablet into fourths and it still made me sleep all day!

Hugs,
    Janet
  6. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Hi Janet.

My doctor gave me antidepressants years ago before my fibro diagnosis. It did help pain, but just a little. I also was able to sleep better on the Elavil.

The BIG PROBLEMS with these drugs is the side effects. I gained 100 pounds on them, now that's what I call PAIN.

I would never use these drugs again for pain, I just don't think they are safe. I have had nothing but ADDITIONAL problems ever since I took those drugs, including trying to get rid of all the weight, and I now have more pain. Hugs, Chelz.