Thinking of changing doctors

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by goofgirl, Nov 12, 2008.

1. goofgirl

goofgirl New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm feeling frustrated with my current regemen of meds and supplements, vitamins and powders; popping pills four times a day and not feeling any better. I've mentioned before going to Holtorf Medical Group in Torrance, CA. I'm following their plan for me but feeling like it's not helping. I was taken off Armour and switched to pure T3, which then got increased week by week until the amount of hormones I was taking doubled. I felt worse, getting "hotflashes" clammy and sweaty, shaky and difficulty focusing. I went back to my Armour and felt better. With the cost of office visits and supplements, which are not covered by my insurance, this is an expensive treatment protocol that doesn't seem to be working for me.

I found another doctor, Dr. St Amand in Marina del Rey, who uses guaifenesin to "reverse" fibromyalgia. He's written the book "What Your Doctor may not Tell You About Fibromyalgia" which I am going to try to find in our bookstore today. Has anyone read it? Anyone tried this guaifenesin protocol? You can find out more about it at I made an appointment to see him in a few weeks. ***Update: I did a search on this board for guai and guaifenesin and found a lot of posts about it. Thanks!***

It's funny, a couple of things happened with the Holtorf group... one is that one of the supplements they sold me cost $65.00. When I received it I realized that it's identical to the "Fatigued to Fantastic" supplement you can get here at ProHealth for half the price. Also, I started with three other supplements, but after my second appointment the doctor said, if you haven't started feeling better after a month on it, it's probably not helping, and switched me to several different products. So I guess if the second round isn't helping by now, I shouldn't expect it to work, right?

This is certainly a frustrating illness. I admire those of you who have found what works for you and are feeling better. I know it's about patience and dilligence, but it is also tiring and frustrating. Thanks for letting me vent!
    [This Message was Edited on 11/13/2008]
  2. Shalome1990

Shalome1990 New Member

I started taking the Gui a few weeks ago. I have seen some improvement. I saw this on another site I look at called ICARECafe, if any of you are interested. But this lady kept posting about the Gui and I looked at her site. The stuff is over the counter, so I figured it couldn't hurt to try. look there if you are really thinking of trying it.
  3. pearls

pearls New Member

Don't change doctors too quickly. For one thing, you have a well known, well respected doctor. Secondly, you will look like someone who is "doctor shopping," which may cause a new physician to not trust you. Trust is a two way street, especially with a chonic disease like fibromyalgia. Much of the responsibility of creating a good working relationship with your doctors is in your hands.

Each person's fibromyalgia is different, and it takes some experimentation to find what will work for you. That takes time. Even then, there is no perfect solution, just protocols that can help you deal with it. Yes, fibromyalgia is certainly frustrating.

I have read Dr. St. Amand's book, but it was borrowed and back in 2000. I did not use his protocol, though I was on guaifenesin for awhile.

I very much admire Dr. Devin J. Starlanyl, whose two books, "The Fibromyalgia Advocate," 1999, and Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain," second edition, 2001, still rest on my shelves. I use the books regularly because they still contain a lot of useful information. Dr. Starlanyl has fibromyalgia herself, by the way, and last I noticed, she doesn't take patients because of it.

Dr. Starlanyl does not agree totally with Dr. St. Amand, but his two books (one dealing with pediatric fibromyalgia), are included in the reading list of her 2001 book, and she refers to him several times. But doctors don't agree totally with other doctors anyway.

My advice is to stick with Dr. St. Amand for awhile. Of course you will have to chance suppliments and medications, and I would be surprised if this did not happen a number of times. This is a given with fibromyalgia.

[This Message was Edited on 11/13/2008]
  4. goofgirl

goofgirl New Member

Thanks Pearl for the advice! I apologize if I wasn't clear, but I have not yet seen Dr. St Amand, I have an appointment with him. I am currently seeing a Dr. at Holtorf Medical Group. It's just so expensive because they don't take insurance. Dr. St Amand seems well known and well respected, plus he takes my insurance, which is even better.

I have been with Holtorf for almost three months and have taken their supplements as prescribed and don't feel any improvement. I also felt dissapointed by the inflated cost of their supplements; as I stated one I found on Pro Health for half the cost. It's probably $300-400 a month for the supplements they prescribed me, not covered by insurance, plus $395 an office visit. All I can say is, everyone is getting handmade gifts for Christmas this year! ha ha...

I see what you mean about "doctor shopping". I don't want to start doing that, of course, but how long is long enough if no improvement? I am grateful for the fact that at Holtorf they definitely listen and seem to care. It's nice to find a doctor who takes you seriously. I would just hope in three months I'd see some improvement.

Thanks again!
  5. Empower

Empower New Member

I haven't tried the guai, but a nurse from my insurance co called to talk to me about my fibro treatment

She said she HAD fibro, but no longer! I asked her how that happened and she said guai treatment. But you have to wonder, did she REALLY have fibro?

I am thinking of trying it

Heck, I am congested all the time anyway, so maybe the guai will kill two birds with one stone

I understand how FRUSTRATING an illness this is, and nobody understands the pain we are in.