Thinking of coloring my hair...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HeavenlyRN, May 23, 2010.

1. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

OK, OK.....I know no one probably cares but I thought I'd do an unofficial, unscientific survey. I've already gotten some thoughts from my friends in "The Lounge" but thought I'd spread my wings a little bit and ask the rest of you............all 8,384 of you (or however many people are signed up at Pro Health!!!)

I need a little pick-me-up and thought about coloring my hair. It's currently a dirty blonde color and I'd like to go lighter.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
    What brand is best?
    Any advice?

Thanks, in advance!

"Girls Just Wanna Have Fun"
  2. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

I have colored my hair off and on since I was in high school...i am 43 now. I can't give you any advice on lightening hair since I have dark brown hair and I only color it red or just a warmer brown....and to cover gray now, too!

I have always been jealous of people with hair that can be lightened. Mine is just too dark to be blonde. Blonde is nice because it is easy to move into having gray hair. i think going lighter makes you look younger.

I say go for it! Go to a professional and get it foiled so you don't have regrowth so fast.
  3. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

My daughter,who just happened to be looking over my shoulder as I perused the board,offered her opinion re haircolor; when homecoloring,it's imperative to stay with one brand as opposed to jumping from what's cheapest @ the time resulting in differing layers of color which can end up in a "home haircoloring disaster".Since some brands use vegetable and other metallic dyes,can result in buildup that eventually can make it hard for even a professional to fix. Her best reccomendation is L'Oreal,considering the ingredients,it's worth the price and better over all for your hair's health.Keep in mind the level ie:7,8,etc. is the darkness/lightness of your hair. You're a ":dirty blonde", wanting to go lighter,she suggests a level 8,9 to start. Lastly,keep in mind,the tone ie:"n" for neutral,"g" for gold,etc. when going lighter,typically,from dirty blonde some warmth is nice and looks better than an ash,which can look muddy.It's possible that you can pulll "warmth" naturally,sticking with a neutral,this will prevent a "brassy look". A lot of info,hope it helps....p.s. permanent color is for gray coverage,just in case this is also a issue,as opposed to a semi-permanent dye.~~~Jeanne
  4. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

I used to do my own with whatver brand I could find, I forget it has been so long. I didn;pt have the time or money to go and get it done professionally when the kids were young. However, I have been going to the beauty shop and getting it done since DH retired and all the kids are gone.

Supposedly, myhair dresser says that it doesn't look like I have to much gray in my hair but it has gotten fairly dark through the years. DH loves it so I do it but it is expensive. I was born with blonde hair and then got different shades of blonde anad then brown and whatever.

I say GO FOR IT KIDDO !

I can't talk about the different do it yourself stuff now they are so many and are so different than from when I used to do it myself.

5. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Jeanne - Thank you, thank you, thank you to you and your daughter!

I never would have known about all of that stuff! I can really impress my husband when we go shopping!

Now I'm really excited. Hopefully I won't look like a carrot or a tomato
    when I'm done!!!

Thanks again to y'all who replied!!

Jan[This Message was Edited on 05/23/2010]
  6. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member know how I feel about this one! I think youll love it! Ive colored my hair since I was 14. Im 52. One thing I discovered is that different brands vary on their "staying power". If you have a beauty supply store near id check them out. The ppl there are usually very knowlegeable. They can help you determine which developer to use depending on how much lift of color you want. Plenty of shades to choose from! Very reasonably priced. That way youre not doing a one size fits all color. Ours here is called Sallys Beauty Supply. Dont have to be a pro to use them. I think this could be what the doctor ordered! Give you a lift in more than one way!
  7. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

.....good idea about the beauty supply store. Hadn't thought about that. Duh!
  8. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Well, I know you're all lost sleep wondering what I did with my hair. So, not wanting to keep you all waiting anymore, I'll let you know.....

Thanks to Gingareeree and her daughter, shopping for the right color was (sorta) easy!

DH helped me apply the gunk. It was kinda fun wondering what my hair would look like when I was finished. Well, it wasn't as blond as I thought it was going to be, but it is definitely blond-ER! I think I'll go a little bit lighter next time.

But, it's fun. I feel like a new woman!

Now, if I could only instantly get the blubber off my thighs I'd be really happy!
  9. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I've colored my hair for years.
    It's always easier to go lighter than darker. I JUST happened to read reviews on the best brands to buy the other day on MSN.

Overall best reviews for Clairol Natural Instincts.

For Blondes - it was Clairol's Nice n Easy for Blondes. **The Colorsilk kind smells too chemically however so you might want to avoid that one.

Blondes -
    Because most buy lighter than they should, buy one shade darker than the blone you're most drawn to on the box and make sure your "before" color is on the side of the box colors shown. If your hair is more than 40% groay, use a permanent dye to cover the silver before adding highlights.

You can buy L'Oreal Paris Couleur Experte Express w/Easy Glide Highlighter. $20 at drugstores which pairs permanent color and a highlighting kit in one box.

These days many coloring kits have highlighting "benefits" built in. - meaning you don't have to do an extra step to get more depth.

OMG - UPDATE> Geez, I typed this, then read your last reply that you already did your hair!!!
    I should pay more attention!
    I'm so happy to hear your love your hair! Wish we could post pics! Oh - you should put one on your profile for just a minute.

If you want to go blonder - add some highlights. I've done that MANY MANY times. That will add instant color! Not hard just do some testing/practicing on some strands underneath.
    Don't ever do a cap - that's way too hard, just do the brush on kind. Add some highlights around your face, it'll give you an immediate boost!

10. kitty39

kitty39 New Member

It may be a little more expensive, but in the long run, I think it's more satisfying to see a professional colorist. I tried the d/i/y route and ended up with a new color, but it was so solid, it screamed "home made". And that says 'covering up the gray'. Went to a good salon, she used three different colors (highlights) and it looks soooo natural, covers the gray but doesn't scream. It fades gradually so you don't have that line when it starts to grow out.... then you have a bigger problem. You don't have to go back in so often, just let it get lighter til you;re ready and can afford it...really doesn't wind up costing that much, since it lasts so long.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/04/2010]