Thinking of filing for disability

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosemarie, Sep 29, 2005.

1. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I have now been told by 2 doctors that I can't go back to work becasue of my health.

I hvae fibro, degenerative disc diesase, spinal stenosis, 2 buldging discs L4-L5 L5-S1 arthritis in both knees and one needs a knee replacement, arthritis in left wirst from shattering it and the wirst is deterating. I also have arthrisits in my right ankle. and last but not least I have chronic meyofacial painsyndrome.

I know that it is hard to get on disability having fibro but since Ihave the other problems I think thatI may be able to get it. After all my sister got it for depression and yes it took her 2 years but she got it so I should too but it may take 2 years to get it. I am thinking of getting a lawyer first , I don't know the best way to go about this ?

So how hard is it to get? And I know I won't get the ssi as my husband makes to much money for me to qualify for it. I have all the points I need to qualify for it and I should get about $429.00 a month. Not much but it would help me alot.

Any suggetstions? Thanks for your help , Rosemarie
  2. mymissy

mymissy New Member

File girl file. Without the fibro, you have enough wrong that you should be a shoo-in. Before you file, make sure you have both of your Dr's behind you on this because alot of what is in your medical records will determine if you get it or not.

I'm now on disability. I was denied the first time and appealed with the help of a good rep team ( not lawyers) and won the appeal all within a year. I live in Missouri and here lawyers won't take you until you have been denied.
    I tlked to a lady just yesterday who was denied the first time and appealed it herself and won all within a few months time. There are horror stories but not all are bad. But, the first thing you need to do is file and get the ball rolling.

Good Luck and God Bless

Patty
  3. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I think you should file.I won on FM alone 2 weeks ago.

Call a lawyer but I do believe he/she will tell you to file on your own first.

A lot of board members have won on the first try.You need to make sure your medical records have all what you just said in them. Short and to the point letters from your doctors and friends about how you have gone downhill will help. Make sure you keep copy's of everything you give to SS.Also get your letters notarized . Had I known that when I first applied I would have won on my first try.

If you do a search on I won or I won I won you will see my post and others on how the did it.

Hope This Helped.
    Sue
  4. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

I was so disgusted that people with only ONE thing wrong would get it right away.I was diagnosed with(and had a 6 inch file to PROVE everything):
    Fibro,Oa in both knees and shoulders-dislocating knees 4-6 times a yr.since I was 14,Deg. Disc Disease,bulging disc(big issue for a long time),myofacial pain,TMJ syndrome,daily headaches,chronic migraines(minimum of 9 per month),anxiety,depression,ulcerative colitis,non-stop neckache since 1987.I did everythign the Drs. and therapists told me to do since then.But the judge kept denying my claim saying there was NOTHING wrong with me.
    In the end,I did get disability on 'chronic pain'.
  5. hdbubblehead

hdbubblehead New Member

very difficult because you don't feel well & you have doctor's appts. and other things in life, like fatigue, the chronic pain can make ya want to "jump", but NO!

YOU WILL FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHT LIKE A GOOD SOLDIER.

You remember, it's not your fault you are not as well
    as you want to be and some days are miserable. I am in
    so much pain right now from lack of sleep, but I love to
    write so I wrote ...look me up under "hdbubblehead"
    if you can take an extra pain pill or relaxer, it will help on the worse days. that also helps your outlook.
    I personally found it all to be quite the "hassle", but ya know what? what else should you do. You simply can not hold a job. You have evidence, doctors, and family and friends who can back that up.
    I started wrong. I didn't want to share my money with an attorney. AND, I AM A CONTROL FREAK, who can do it better than I ? LOTS OF PEOPLE, I JUST HAVEN'T MET THEM, HA HA.

I had a judge who beats em all. and HE's been busted by me. now i have to prove it. thats another story.
    Anyways, I relate to you so I wanted to say a couple things.
    YES, FILE ON THE FIRST DAY YOU CAN GET TO THE SSA OFFICE NEAR YOU, BUT ONLY IF YOU'RE FEELING WELL ENOUGH OR HAVE SOMEONE WITH YOU. IT'S A WAITING PROCESS. AND LOTS OF PAPERS, AND PAPERS ETC. AND MORE PAPERS.
    YOU MAY BE DENIED THE FIRST TIME, NO ONE CAN TELL YOU FOR CERTAIN HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE TO GET YOUR FIRST DATE.
    YOU WILL HAVE TO BE SEEN BY "THEIR" DOCTORS, THATS A JOKE TOO. REMEMBER, THEY ARE PAID TO SAY.... NO!
    SOMEONE TOLD ME ONCE.... DON'T GIVE UP, KEEP TRYING, AND
    HERE IS THE KEY WORDS.. "DON'T TAKE IT PERSONALLY"

(OF COURSE, OR UNLESS YOU HAVE A CASE LIKE MINE) AND I AM NOT JOKING ON THAT. I am taking it personally. for all our sakes. I got the judge who must be a miserable man 24/7.
    and a lier. Now i have to bring charges upon his head. more papers, and papers, and stamps and reading....
    ahhhhhhhhhhh!
    remember, it is gonna take awhile, so think of it as your new, part time job and you are learning as you work.

YOU JUST TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF FIRST. I THINK I WOULD GET AN DISABILITY LAWYER (WATCH FOR HIDDEN COSTS) HUBBY CAN HELP READ UP ON THE SMALL PRINT)
    REMEMBER, NO ONE IN THE "SYSTEM" WANTS TO GIVE MONEY OUT FOR BEING SICK, OR UNABLE TO WORK. IF WE DIDN'T KEEP COMING IN, THEY WOULDN'T HAVE A JOB.
    show yourself what you're made of. You can do it!
    Come in here when you feel discouraged or defeated.

CONTINUE ALL DOCTOR APPTS. DON'T MISS EM, OR GET RESCHEDULED- ASAP.

STAY IN TOUCH WITH THIS GROUP OF GREAT CARING HELPING WONDERFUL (head shrink shampoo) HEARTFELT PEOPLE.

GET MEDICAL/SHRINK/DENTAL/CHIROPRACTOR/HOSPITAL-
    HISTORY RECORDS AS FAR BACK AS WHEN YOU LAST WORKED, AND/OR WERE DIAGNOSISED.
    (GET A FEW "RECORDS RELEASE" FORMS TO FILL OUT)
    ABOUT 3-6 FOR MISTAKES ETC.
    FILL THOSE OUT NOW, SEND THEM IN ASAP. AND EITHER PICK THEM UP, OR YOU CAN HAVE THEM SENT TO YOUR RESIDENCE.
    JUST GET EM.
    AND GET X-RYS, TESTS, LAB, MRI ETC.

*** I HAVE TO GO RIGHT NOW BUT I SHALL RETURN TO HELP
    IF YOU WANT MORE INFO, YOU CAN LET ME KNOW IN HERE, AND I WILL CHECK LATER.

I HOPE THIS HELPS YA GET STARTED. TAKE CARE OF YOU.
    (I TYPE CAPS CAUSE ITS EASIER FOR ME TO READ)
    I AM NOT YELLING. SINCERELY, ** HD **
  6. mjwarchol

mjwarchol New Member

Rosemarie:

Consider calling Allsup, they have helped a lot of people on this site. Or go to their website. I just hired them, and they file for you and do everything by phone and mail. They have a good success rate. They will tell you on the phone before they take you on if they fell you have a case. I just signed my application and sent it back two weeks ago so I am just starting.

Also a great book, Nolo's Guide to Getting Social Security. I don't have the book right here so I think that's the title. Some great info in there. Good luck.

M J
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

Go for it, girl!!!! It doesn't hurt to try.

I applied and won it on my first attempt - with NO lawyer.

Search for some Symptoms Lists and apply using every single thing that is a problem for you. All your problems together make it impossible for you to work.

It's hard to get, but they make it that way, so every Tom, Dick, and Harry don't get it. They want to be sure that everyone getting it deserves it -- but it doesn't work that way, I know lots of people on it that should NOT BE!!!

It always seems like those who really need it, have to try over and over and over!! Something's messed up with their system!!

Good luck!
    Janet
  8. jennypee

jennypee New Member

But I don't suppose it'll be long before I have to file. I can't imagine working a job like this. Anyway, in my research I have found a very informative website that has easy to understand tips and answers to common questions.

http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/

Good luck!
  9. puppyfreak

puppyfreak New Member

The MOST important thing to remember is:

It doesn't matter what your diagnosis is or how many different illnesses you have. What matters is than you CANNOT do ANY job AT ALL - even a 'sit-down' job like with computers or phone work.
    I went through the process of 2 denials and then got an attorney and won at the hearing after almost 3 years.
    I think the deciding factor was that, in that period of time, the Carpal Tunnel had progressed to the point where my hands get numb and painful just holding a phone. If it weren't for that, Social Security would have found a 'sit-down' job for me in spite of the Fibro, Autoimmune Vasculitis with Peripheral Neuropathy, Degenerative Disc Disease, Osteoarthritis in both knees, plus a few other 'minor' complaints!
    You get the picture - all those diseases didn't mean a thing - it's what they do to my ability to function that carries the weight.
    And if you're even considering filing, do it now since it will take a while!

Char
  10. rbecca47

rbecca47 New Member

i filed on my own and was denied the first time. then filed the appeal myself. and i won, i filed for ssd and ssi. now i won the ssd, just waiting to hear for ssi. not sure what the difference is, but been told the ssd is what you paid in from working. and ssi is a supplement security income to help when ssd is a small amount.it took alot of energy at first. but by the time of the appeal. i was ready. to fight LOL. it just took getting all docs on board and physc. doc also. and family and friends.that can back you up. hang in there and apply, i will be thinking of you during the process.
    becca