Thinking of getting a small Dog

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Aeronsmom, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

I am thinking maybe having a little companion like a Chihauha to keep me company and sitting on my lap...she is a rescue dog and is 2 years old and has been beaten, she weighs about 3 pounds..only issue is she is not house I am wondering how hard it would be to train her NOT to pee in the house...with her being 2 is it too late to train her?
    any help would be great. Thanks.

Love to all, Ann
  2. sisland

sisland New Member

I think it's wonderful that your Thinking of getting a little dog!,,,so much company!,,,not sure about the potty training thing,,,i'm guessing that if you work with her enough on it she will learn to trust you and follow through!,,,,,,,Sad she was abused!,,,,,,,Goodluck!,,,Sis
  3. greygodess

greygodess New Member

You could probably train her for the most part. It seems to me that chihauha's are nervous dogs and that can lead to peeing when they are upset. Also the fact that she has been abused doesn't help the nervous factor. I wouldn't count on her never peeing in the house. Godbless
  4. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I used to have little dogs all my childhood life. However when we decided to get a dog since I have been married and have kids, husband and daughters wanted a yellow lab.

I used to think big dogs were dirty and a pain in the butt to keep maintained.

Now, I would never get a small dog again (no offense to anyone, I loved all the small dogs I used to have). Jack (see my profile) is the best, most loving, loyal, obedient, nonbarking dog I have ever had and he is definetly my boy. He follows me, except in my room (he is not allowed to go in there, due to husband)

If you have kiddos, a Lab is the best kind of dog to get, if you don't mind the hair.

However, any kind of dog, small or large, is worth getting. They are awesome companions and I would definetly have one always.

5. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

You are very brave to take on a dog with that kind of history. It takes a lot of work to rehabilitate a dog, but it can be done.

If you are up to the effort, and it will probably be very hard, then I hope you can make it work.

My experience with Chi's is very limited. I've only owned one. I finally gave up and gave him to a friend who could take him with her everywhere she went and had a fenced yard to keep him in when she couldn't. (I didn't know about crates in those days!)

Although I got him at 8 weeks old, I never could housebreak him. I understand this can be a problem with Chi's.

Make sure you consider your own needs first. Rescuing a dog is a noble idea, but you still need to be realistic about what you can handle. I don't know how your medical condition is, but be realistic when you consider all the ups and downs.

Best of luck on your decision!

6. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

You stated:

"Our mail carrier and regular UPS/FedEx delivery ppl have all said it's not the big dogs they worry about, it's the little ones. (they also all three carry dog treats, immediate salivary response x3 when our dogs hear the big truck a'comin, my chi will leap INTO the truck looking for the stash)"

That is hilarious, my mail carrier stated the same thing and him and the UPS driver also carry treats with them. My yellow lab will jump in the truck too to see if there are any treats in there.

I had to look at your profile to see if you lived close and see if we have the same mail carrier and ups driver, however, that is not the case, it is just a coincidence.

7. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

Dogs are wonderful but cats are MAGNIFICENT. They can be equally as loving and loyal and are much easier to house break. I recommend a kitten since you can start loving on them right away and training them to love you back. I have a flamepoint siamese whom I found dumped and roaming in my old neighborhood. She was already set in her ways and thoroughly enjoys being spoiled but has never taken to being a lap cat. However, I had two siamese that I raised from kittens years ago and they were the most loving, affectionate animals I've ever had. Even if you think you don't like cats, you will be surprised at how much you fall in love with them.