Thinking of going back on Cymbalta or some light med for depression...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jeramy, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Jeramy

Jeramy New Member

I have been off RX meds for my FMS for about 4 years. I use herbs, supplements, (I do use lodine once in awhile) I see a chiropractor all the time and also see a PT CT because of Celiac, so she keeps me on a diet that is good for my FMS too. I generally do okay. That doesn't mean I'm not kick ass tired some days and some days can't walk because my legs are too tired and painful. BUT, for the most part, I am soooo much better than I was 5 years ago. Probably the biggest reason I am better is that I got out of a very bad marriage and, though I swore off relationships, now have a fiance who REALLY supports me!
    Regardless of being happy in love and basically having a good life, I feel I am beginning to slip back into a depression. And actually, i think it has little to do with my FMS. I also have two kids who are high need and this year they have needed a lot more medical care.(One w/ ADD, anxiety, underweight AND a teenage girl. My son was also diagnosed with FMS this year, My girl had major oral surgery, my son almost lost a front tooth due to an ice skating fall and had a root canal. They both have special ed IEPs I need to manage.) That means more vigilance, more advocating for them at school and every where they spend their time AND it's cost a lot more money. The money is a problem because their father (the Ex) has a court order to pay half the med costs. He hasn't paid a dime since February and the kids have had major med and dental costs this year. So we're off to court this week to get him to pay.
    Anyway, I feel that all the stuff going on with my kids is starting to depress me. I've had tons of therapy, I understand what's going on. I understand that my FMS is not helping. But I just can't pull myself up.
    Soooo, I'm wondering about going on Cymablta or something.
    I took Cymbalta years ago when I was first diagnosed w/ FMS. It actually helped a lot. It helped my fatigue anyway, I don't remember if it helped with depression. But it got me moving. After about a year maybe two...don't remember, I just stopped and was okay.
    I feel like I need a little something to give me the little boost I need. BUT, I'm afraid to mess with my clean, no RX system.
    What do y'all think?
  2. BellaChow

BellaChow New Member

Hi Jeramy. Glad to hear that you are doing so well with your FMS and Celiac. My father had Celiac and my brother has it now too. I know how difficult it is to maintain a gluten free diet. It takes a lot of self control and dedication. You also sound like a great father.
    As for myself, I've battled with depression over the years. (I was also just recently dx'd w/ FMS.) After years of therapy, and different meds, I finally got myself to the point where I do not need the meds or therapy anymore. I can imagine that I would feel the same as you about going back on the meds. They are such a pain. You are an emotional guinea pig before you find the right dose and pill. But, it is also really important for someone with FMS to try and avoid a depressive episode. It could make the FMS symptoms worse and you could get into a nasty cycle of depression and aggravation of the FMS that is hard to get out of.
    I'm all about avoiding meds when possible. If you really wanted to avoid the meds, I would suggest taking time out of your day for yourself, and plenty of exercise. That should make you feel better quickly. But if that is not enough or not possible, an anti-depressant may be a good option for you. I think that depression is one of those things that just sneaks up on you, and if you don't do things to prevent or mitigate it, it will start to really affect your life. I also think that depression is no different than any other medical condition that requires medicine.

Hope this helps and good luck to you.

Take care,
  3. Jeramy

Jeramy New Member

for the positive input.
    Actually, I'm a Mom. Though I do a lot for my kids I do have quite a bit of time for myself while they are in school. BUT I have FMS. Can't exercise more than I do already. If you are new to FMS, you may not have experienced it enough to know the physical and mental limitations. I'm already doing as much as I can physically and mentally and I'm still slipping. That is why I think my situation may be more serious. You are right that we fibro folks should avoid the depression because it could aggrivate symptoms. Thus the cycle you warn of and the one I feel stuck in right now.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I admire your desire to be Rx free. My feeling is that if we cannot get better with supps alone, meds can make a lot of difference, as you experienced with Cymbalta in the past. The decision is up to you. I take both meds and supps. One of my meds, Klonopin, is a heavy hitter med but it makes all the diff for me. It's been a miracle drug and I simply cannot function without it.

Good luck to you with whatever you decide to do.

Love, Mikie
  5. Jeramy

Jeramy New Member

I have known some folks on it for anxiety associated with ADHD. How does it help you, if you don't mind my asking. Is it just for depression or anxiety? I know it's strong.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I first started to take it for quality sleep. A sleep study showed some slight seizure activity which interupted the sleep waves in my brain. Withhout it, my brain can't stop overfiring so I can get into the slight state of coma which is sleep.

I already knew it helped with anxiety which isn't exactly my problem but a form of anxiety, sensory overload, is. Harsh lighting, loud sounds, touch, movement, smells, etc. could drive me out of a store. That is why I will nibble a little bit of the pill and put it under my tongue when I'm in a store and start to feel anxious from any of these triggers.

There was a study done on Klonopin to determine whether it helped with pain and the study indicated that it stopped some of the pain signals the brain sends out. The longer I've been on it, the less pain I have. I know the Guai takes care of the tender point pain but I think the Klonopin helps with overall pain and muscle spasms.

It definitely helps with ringing in the ears, tinnitus.

The Guai and Klonopin are two essentials in my regimen.

Love, Mikie
  7. Jeramy

Jeramy New Member

Thanks for those details Mikie. It's good to know about the klonipin. I am currently having tremendous back pain due to 2 ruptured discs. (Discovered during the holidays). I was going to start my guai protocol this month, but my protocol doc says we will wait because the disc problem is too acute. I will be having spinal injections in a couple of weeks.
    Anyway, I have been having tremendous pain in my leg due to the discs pinching nerves. I have gone through 4 different pain meds (Vicodin, oxy, norco and tramadal), they all make me hyper/crazy/twitchy and I can't sleep. Maybe I should try klonipin. A friend with cancer told me to try liquid morphine. I'm not sure I could take that. Besides having obvious problems with opiads, I know that codine makes me sick, so I think morphine would also be bad.
    Well, I hope I find something that works for this nerve pinching pain.
    Take care.
  8. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Have you had your Vit D level or your thyroid checked recently? If either of those are low they can cause depression.

Just a thought....
  9. GeminiMoon

GeminiMoon Member

I take Cymbalta each day & have been for about 2 years, but lately it seems to have stopped working. However, I live in the Midwest and suffer each winter with S.A.D.D. so that might be why I feel it stopped working. This year got particularly bad, so my doc started me on 2 mg. of Abilify. The results were dramatic in a very good way. I feel great. I don't know if I will need the Abilify in the summer, will have to waite and see.
    Sometimes you might need a med in addition to the supplements you take.
  10. Jeramy

Jeramy New Member

Yes, my vit D is okay and other levels too. I've just really been hit with a lot of physical challenges lately. We found 2 torn discs in my spine after Thanksgiving. I just had spianl injections which will hopefully improve the back pain and femoral nerve pinching in my leg. I just need to get over this, then I get back to working on my "normal" issues again.
  11. chloe_s_mom

chloe_s_mom New Member

Hi there, I am on cymbalta for a second time, for pain. I'm also on Butrans patch (20 mg) and tramadol as needed. I went from 15 mg of cymbalta to 30 mg to 60 mg, however, at 60 mg, I've gotten super twitchy.

When I went from 15 mg to 30 mg, it was awesome - it gave me a kick of energy in the rear. My pain dr asked that I try 60 mg bec I'm in an aweful fatigue flair (plus, pain, of course) and I haven't had an improvement in energy, instead, I can't stop moving! My muscles are constantly contracting rapidly, whenever I am resting (like watching tv).

However, on the bright side, my mood is pretty good even though things are really rough right now.

I do hope that you find your path - I can't imagine the stress that you are under and am so sorry to hear that you have to battle your ex as well. If you have tolerated Cymbalta in the past, I would imagine that you might tolerate it again.

I have gone from being able to walk my dogs to very limited movement around the house, so instead I am focusing on mental imaging of movement for relaxation and pain reduction. Maybe something that might suit you as well.

Good luck!
  12. Allen

Allen Member

Hi Jeramy. I have had Fibro over 20 years and have sworn off well known meds. But when I went to confer with pain doctor because of other problems, she said why don't you try Cymbalta. Have been on low dose since Aug. 18th. I take 30 mg. twice a day and except when I hit a nasty flare, it seems to take the edge off.