Thinking of going back to school ? Good idea/bad idea?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shelle16, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Shelle16

Shelle16 New Member

since quiting my factory job I'm now working for Home Health and I love it.As much as you can like work when in pain. I would really like to go to LPN school I talked to a friend who is a LPN and she said it is a 18 month course. I would have to quit my job because the classes are in the daytime. So I'm hoping that some kind of financial help is available.Just scared to take such a big step and not be able to finish it.Please give me your opinions!

Thanks
    SHelle
  2. Shelle16

Shelle16 New Member

since quiting my factory job I'm now working for Home Health and I love it.As much as you can like work when in pain. I would really like to go to LPN school I talked to a friend who is a LPN and she said it is a 18 month course. I would have to quit my job because the classes are in the daytime. So I'm hoping that some kind of financial help is available.Just scared to take such a big step and not be able to finish it.Please give me your opinions!

Thanks
    SHelle
  3. teach6

teach6 New Member

I have no idea what training to be a LPN is like, but I know the last class I took for recertification was a nightmare for me. This was in '98 and I thought I was doing pretty well, so I signed up for a class, to get it out of my way before it got down to the wire. I also had not been dx'd with CFS and FM at the time.

It turned out to be the most difficult class I have ever taken. I now realize it was because of the terrible cognitive problems I have with my CFS and FM. I would read and reread articles and still not know how to do an assignment, even though they were similar to ones my second graders did!

With that, plus the fact that nurses (and teachers) are among the professions with the highest numbers found to be suffering from theses DD's I'd think about doing something that doesn't involve classes or nursing (or teaching).

Barbara
    [This Message was Edited on 12/04/2002]
  4. queenbee69

queenbee69 New Member

Its only my opinion, but I say go for it. My neighbor just finished her LPN classes. She is a single mother of two small girls. You will not know unless you try. You go girl!!!! good luck on making your decision...queenbee
  5. HiFive

HiFive New Member

I started classes last summer taking my pre-requisites to hopefully be accepted in RN school in the fall of 2003. This has been one of the best things I've ever done. The studying is acctually helping with the cognitive fog to my pleasant surprise and I am making excellent grades. Will I be able to work as a full-time nurse? I do not know but getting an education can prepare us for many things.
    I still have some pretty tough days....like today I am in great pain and a funk. I just recently began the guaifenesin protocal and I think it's working.hehe (With this treatment one gets worse before getting better.)
    I will tell you Shelle, that sitting in the hard desks is painful. I just wriggle around a lot!
    Good Luck to you!
    pam
  6. Shelle16

Shelle16 New Member

Thanks everyone for your feedback.I know it will be hard but I still would like to check into it.On the other hand it could be hard to concentrate and stay focused with everything that goes along with the disease.I will let everyone know my decision. Good luck Hifive on RN school let us know if you are excepted and how the classes go!

HUGS
    Shelle
  7. HiFive

HiFive New Member

Hey girl.... good luck to you too and keep us posted on the out come.
    pam
  8. JP

JP New Member

Hello Shelle

I have a great passion for education so I am quite biased regarding your question. I hope to take on another few years for my Ph.D. at some point in my life...wish I could do it now and my cognitive function is not so hot these days. I have been struggling with some research over this past year. I am making headway and I could never keep up with a program right now. I hold education as a personal thirst quencher. The more I learn the less I know. Anyway, trust your gut on this one.

Have fun! Jan