Thinking of trying Craniosacral therapy - what do you think?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BxGirl, Aug 12, 2005.

1. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

I had a massage today! It was wonderful!!!!

The massage therapist did some craniosacral therapy on me. It was great! We discussed it and she thinks it might help me. I felt so much better after she worked on me.

Has anyone here done CT? What do you think? Does it work? Does it help? I really need your input!!!!

Thanks!!!!

Love,
    BxGirl
  2. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Dear BxGirl:

Yes I have had it done about three or four times and it is a good way to release alot of stress and emotions. I love it!!!

It has been recommended for us FM and CFS sufferers. Also good for us is the Manual Lymph massage. That realy releases alot of toxins.

So glad you likes the CT.

Hugs,
    Francey54

3. JenniferAnn539

JenniferAnn539 New Member

BxGirl,

Craniosacral therapy is wonderful.

I thoroughly recommend it.

You can do a title search in which we have done some chatting about CT.

Please continue to post about your experience.

Regards.
  4. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

She didn't discuss anything about emotions with me. What is that about?

BxGirl
  5. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I had craniosacral therapy along with some other types of therapy several years ago. While the results were good, I cannot say how much of that was attributed to the craniosacral therapy.

Remember that your cranium houses your brain and between your cranium and your sacrum runs your spinal cord - two very important parts of your body. Be sure that the person working on them is well trained and experienced.
  6. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

I'm a level one CS therapist and I know how to do it for the head and that is about it. I bring it into my masage sessions for my clients who have fibro/cfs or headaches. But I have had it done by my friend, who is level 3. It is wonderful stuff and relieved the frequent migraines I was having at the time. I highly recommend it.
    About the emotions, many feel CS therapy can help "untrap" stuck emotions that can make us ill or give our muscles and joints the problems we have.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/13/2005]
    [This Message was Edited on 08/13/2005]
  7. -Jimbo-

-Jimbo- New Member

It's a great release, but I've found a way recently of dealing with that area myself by swimming crawl breathing on both sides every third stroke. It really stretches things up there.
  8. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

I'm thinking of going again next month. Right now my spine is very tender - is this normal? I was sitting against the kitchen chair this morning and realized it hurt. What do you think that means?

BxGirl
  9. sofy

sofy New Member

I tried it several years ago and then again 2 years ago by a physical therapist and while it might have made me feel relaxed immediately, just like massage, I had no real help from it.

I went numerous times boths times and never felt like I was achieving anything so like accupuncture and many other alternative therapies I decided not to be seperated from my money any more
  10. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

It could be as a result of the fibro, getting the spinal fluids moving etc. The pressure that is used should not be more than the weight of a nickel, so if they are using more than that, he/she used a little too much pressure for you, because your Fibro and sensitive to such things. Let them know so they can adjust accordingly.
  11. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

but never by a physical or massage therapist. I don't know the difference in their training or skill. You may wish to google "Cranial, Sacral, Osteopathy, and Upledger Institute" to learn more about the theory of cranial sacral work. It has made a significant difference to me in relieving jaw, head and face pain, helping my ribs to be freed so I can breathe correctly, and helping other myofascial pain. It has helped me to be able to think a little better and improve mood. It hasn't been a cure-all for me, but has been something to help things be bearable, relieve some of the horrible symptoms. There have been few things that have accomplished this for me so anything that helps is better than nothing. It has mostly been covered by insurance because it is treatment by a licensed doctor, which is a big plus. I think Medicare will cover it too. Jen102
  12. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

BxGirl:

I don't know how to explain it but I was told by the Holistic Massage Therapist that a Craniosacral does help release pent up emotions. I can tell you that is exactly what happened to me.

Francey54
  13. taniar

taniar New Member

Echoing suggestion that therapist have a lot of experience.

I tried it last year, and honestly was dizzy for a month.

Maybe it was good, but it didn't feel that way.

Sorry to be negative.
  14. Bambi

Bambi New Member

but didn't find the description of what it is. It's not the one where they claim they can move your skull
    with very minor pressure is it?
  15. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

The purpose of craniosacral release therapy is to release tension and blocks in the craniosacral system. The craniosacral system is made up of the cranial bones, the membrane system that separates the brain from the skull, the brain, spinal cord, dural tube, cerebrospinal fluid and sacrum.
  16. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

Last night my husband, son and I were discussing CT therapy. My husband, who is sometimes a skeptic, said anything you do to make yourself feel better and work with systems of the body, can help.

My MT is only going to charge me $35.00 a session. I think that's reasonable. She will work with me on "off-hours". If I go to an osteopath, they work regular hours and I can't take time off from work for this. That alone would cause me more stress!

Right now my head and neck feel great. A lot of the tension there is gone! My spine is less tender.

You know what? Do you think this is worse than all the horrible drugs we sometimes have to take?

BxGirl
  17. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

Absolutely not worse than the meds we take. I am for anything that brings us relief not matter how controversial it is. As long as we are in the hands of experts we should try everything.

I can only tell you hon that I love Craniosacral treatments. I wish I could have them done again. Unfortantely, I have not been able to find a certified Holistic Therapist where I live now.

The only things about them is that they should not be done too consecutively.

Good Luck, let us know how you feel.

Hugs,
    Francey54
  18. BxGirl

BxGirl New Member

Thanks for your encouragement! What do you mean when you say they shouldn't be done too consecutively?

BxGirl
  19. Francey54

Francey54 New Member

I don't know why but I was told in passing that it should not be done like two or three days in a row.

Maybe some Massage Therapist out there can explain way, or ask your therapist I am sure she can explain it to you.

Good luck.

Francey54