Thinking outloud

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MandaJ, Aug 30, 2008.

1. MandaJ

MandaJ New Member

I had a "light bulb" moment today as I was sitting at the spa getting my nails done ...

Could the chemicals in the gel nails I get done every month be making me sicker?

I've struggled with having nails done vs. not having them done, but having a nice manicured look has become a very big part of my professional image (and keeps me from chewing on my nails) for a long time. Having nice looking nails and toes makes me feel feminine and keeps me looking polished.

But could the chemicals be making me sick? Has anyone had any experience with this?
  2. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I suppose there is always the possibility but I am sure there are lots of people with our illnesses that get their nails done.

If you really want to know then don't do your nails for like a month and see if there is any difference.

I know my mom (who also has FM/CFS) gets her nails done all summer and it makes no difference to her health when she gets them done. When I visit her in Florida I also get my toes and nails done and it has never made a difference to how I feel.

Now I know some people are more sensitive than others so I won't say it isn't possible but I think it is unlikely unless maybe you have MCS, but then if you had that you probably wouldn't even be able to walk into the nail salon.
  3. greatgran

greatgran Member

I can't be 100% sure but everytime I go to get my hair done, later that day I become very sick, to the point I have to go to bed. Same with the nails and toes.

I have never been told by a doctor that I have MCS but I feel that is what happens to me.

So, I tried going first thing in the morning, for a hair cut, and the cut is all I would get. I didn't seem to get as sick.

As far as the nails and toes , that use to be my treat but I can no longer go get them done,without feeling terrible for days so I do them myself the best I can.

I have tried just going for one thing at a time, still get some type of reaction . I need something done to my hair and have got to go but know I will suffer afterwards.

Not only the chemicals in a beauty shop bother me but in many places.

With this darn DD we have to give up so much. Heck, I don't even look or feel like me .

Can't say for you but I know the chemicals make me sick.

Good Luck,