This 5Something Supplement Really Work For Depression?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by joeb7th, Mar 21, 2007.

1. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

I am scared to death to try these natural supplements for depression, but at the same time I am just always so depressed.

I am fighting the weight balooning, sex drive killing, full and dizzy head feeling and sleep screwing drug company anti-depressants.

I was on Lexipro for awhile and I was so dizzy, felt a weird pulsing in my left neck and head, gained 40 lbs in 3 months, lost my sex drive and couldn't sleep. Only thing it helped was anxiety.

I have read about Kava and this 5-something supplement for depression. Also, melatonine?

So confusing.

Are there people here who have actually tried any of these non-heavy drug antidepressant more natural stuff and do they work?

How long have you been on these. What and how much of a difference have you felt?

How long did it take to work. Side effects, dangers?

Before I go to Whole Foods and dizzy myself reading about all these it would be great to get first hand accounts of these anti-depressant natural remedies. I need to feel happy just for one day after 1 and 1/2 years. JB
  2. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

How about that 5 something product? Melatonin? Other natural remedies?

I bought Johns Wart but another friedn scared me off of this one too?
  3. knickelson23

knickelson23 New Member

I think you might be talking about 5-HTP??!! It's for mood elevation, depression, appetite suppressant (early satiety--feeling full faster during meals). It's also supposed to help with sleep. I tried it and had major side effects such as nausea and headache. I had to go back to my "fat pills" a.k.a. anti-depressants. I know this 5-HTP has worked well with many others, but I am really sensitive to meds/herbs/supplements. I was also taking it along with St.Johns Wort, so who knows, maybe it was the combination of both. Always ask your doctor before starting a new med or OTC supplement. Also--never take 5-HTP along with anti-depressants. It can cause over production of Seratonin and that can be quite dangerous. Thats all I know about 5-something. I hope this helps! Have a good day! K-Nick P.S. I was taking Melatonin 3m.g. at bedtime and they worked well for me. I stopped because of starting my new anti-depressant medication and they flat knock me out. But the Melatonin was good also. I just don't need both!
    [This Message was Edited on 03/22/2007]
  4. bettydroop

bettydroop New Member

There are tons of info onthe internet that I am sure you can find on 5htp.

I started taking it but stopped cause I started taking amino acis at basically the same time and I decided I would wait- if something "worked" I wouldnt know for sure what was what. I do plan to start again as I have heard good things. I would ask your Dr about it. Some say OK to take even with an SSRI as long as you dont go over a CERTAIN AMOUNT per day in mgs. My Dr said yes its fine.

Good luck I hope you can find something to help you - EEEK I DO know what you are going thru. I gained 35 pds on Zoloft.
    Bdroop
  5. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

There are tons of natural depression remedies and they are supposed to have MUCH less side effects than prescription meds. I am the opposite of you...I am scared to death of prescription meds. I don't do well with them.

Here is a website that I found.
    www.holisticonline.com/Remedies/Depression/dep_herbs_1.htm

It talks about what herbs are good for depression.

Here are some others that I have looked into that are natural and supposed to have really no side effects.

B-Complex Vitamins, Magnesium, Inositol (sometimes called Vitamin B8), L-Theanine (it is in Green Tea but also sold as a supplement), St. Johns Wort, and SAMe.

Not sure what scared you away from the St. Johns Wort but alot of people here have said it helped them.

I would also check out Dr. Jacob Teitelbaum's website. He lists some natural depression remedies in the treatment protocol on his website.

I hope you find something that works for you. I have also been stuggling badly with emotion issues for 7 months now and it is really hard.

Good Luck!
    Pam
  6. joeb7th

joeb7th New Member

That makes me feel depressed and the never ending of this and the stopping of treament and or drawn out to months at a time one little test here and there to try to find out what it is all coming from.

I am on the verge of complete mental collpase, even as I type this, but now when I go to an ER, they try to get me in the mental ward only.

I have never been in one in my life till last week when my body pain had driven me to tears and a breakdown.

The Psyche Ward Nurse told me that if I volunteered to go into the mental health department that this could be a back door for having all my pain and dioagnosed bosy ailment issues looked at. A doctor did come in and interview me after I did this, but never got back to me again. When I called this departemtn to ask why I was never physically examined as I was told I would be..the staff member said that this doctor determined that all my ailments and pain issues could be looked at on the outside on my own!

I felt tricked into going into the PW. Even the ER doctor told me he wanted to X-ray my uper body after he read my ailment list. But that never happened.

I am in a nightmare twilight zone so scary right now. I am in such physical pain I could just thrwo myseof on the steps of Stanford or UCLA Nad say "Please, Please, look at everything again and try to help me with this torturous pain. But I am afraid I would be picked up by the security people and thrown into the psyche ward.

In my 54 previous years, this scenario would never be believable to me, ever.

I have been married 25 years, raised a family, worked all my life. Never a problem with drugs, liquor, law or hospitals. Never saw a psychiatrist in my life.

But now, I am in this unbelievable scary place of suffering yet being treated like a mental patient.

I am telling you all, this is just a nightmare. I wonder how much longer I can handle this. The world seems crazy...and yet, so many I go to for help in the medical community just keep inferring that it is I who is acting crazy.
  7. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

It is so awful that we all have to suffer everyday. It really is like the twilight zone. You never imagine that your life could be this way and that you could suffer so much. You also never imagine that you could be treated so poorly by the medical community.

Trust me when I say that we all understand. How can we not be upset when our lives have been taken away from us like this and when we are forced to suffer day in and day out for years? Doctors for some reason just can't seem to grasp this.

Don't worry about what the medical community thinks of you. If they had to spend a day in any of our shoes they would understand.

Don't give up. If you want to hound the doctors until they find a way to help you than you should do it! It is their job.

I hope you finally find a doctor who will help you. Don't give up!

Take Care,
    Pam
  8. app5775

app5775 New Member

JoeB7, please start a thread on the message board to ask for helpful doctors in your state or area. There may well be some folks here with good doctors in your region that will help you and that they can direct you to. The first step to getting well is finding a confident caring doctor and there really are some out there. I have a great one that practices environnmental medicine ( that includes, Fibro/CFIDS/allergies/chemical sensitivities/yeast/etc..) and I can also look on their websites and send you those doctors name and phone numbers to try close by. Give it a whirl, there is no "cure" for everything we deal with having fibro and CIFIDS but there are lots of ways to curtail the pain and misery with supplements, diet plans and so forth that a doctor can help you with. He or she may try more tests on you to determine what approach will help you best. Half of feeling better to me anyways, is having a reliable doctor to tend to your needs that you are comfortable with. Give it a try and see what names of doctors may be near you to call on that tend to specialize in these areas. They are out there.