This board really scares me..

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by joe27, Sep 3, 2008.

1. joe27

joe27 New Member

I don't know exactly what is wrong with me but I have a ton of fibro symptoms. Enough to the point were I can't see it being nothing else...I am trying to find out thought

I am 27 year old man and still work 40 hours a fairly phyisical job.. And all I read here is people who have quit there jobs and are almost bed ridden. I don't want that I so scared...I don't want to lose everthing...It sounds likes this is just as worse as MS
  2. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

Joe don't be scared of this place here you can come to talk, chat, and discuss what is going on with you. Not everyone is bedridden, we all have good days & bad days. I worked for 20+ yrs and still would if I had not been such a klutz and shattered my left wrist and making it so that I can't work as a dental assistant any more. That was 4 yrs ago. I still feel like working some days and not others. AT your age I too was having fibro symptoms but didn't have a clue as to what was going on .

It is good to find out what is happening to you so that you can get the right care early. Maybe it will help you . I still have a good life and enjoy it.
    I am sorry that you have fibro . But here we do have the latest news on meds, treatments, and doctors. So if you have problems you usually can find some help here.
    Take care of yourself,
  3. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

this is a good place to come and talk and be heard and get help. A lot of people take advantage of being able to say what is bothering them here.

Don't let the board scare you. There seems to be many different levels of FM from mild to moderate. But I will admit a lot of us have had to stop working, while some keep pushing on on even though they should be not working. Not everyone is bedridden.

But you haven't been diagnosed yet so don't get all worried until you get a diagnosis.

But if you do get diagnosed with FM them it is important to know what could be in store. It's good to learn ahead of time what can happen so that you can prepare and be ready. It is important to know what the possibilities are. But like I said we are all different so just because one person with FM is bedridden doesn't mean someone else will be. There are lots of levels in between.
  4. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I know exactly what you are going thru because I have been there. This is a post I just recently put up to someone else. Like many of us here, I work full time also and even though some days are not peachy keen and I have to push through, I do manage even though I have no energy to do anything when I get home some days, but I have not even missed a day because of FM in a very long time. Here is the post:

Here is how it works for me and maybe this will help you. When I first got sick and found out the cause (fibro) I read everything I could compulsively, including this board. On the bright side, most of what I have found to help my symptoms have come from here because you are dealing with real people who have the same issues you do and have been through the trial and error of different treatments and can help you by sharing their experiences.

I and a year and a half of remission and then the FM came back. At that time I came back to the board more frequently than I had been during the remission period. Here is the down side. As I read different things, including the "sticky" post at the top about the bad things about fibro I became very depressed about it and realized I had to stop reading the "bad news". Now much of this had to do with my state of mind at the time. I was already very unhappy to acknowledge that the fibro was back, so anything negative that I was reading really only added to my unhappiness.

I would advise this: google fibromyalgia, if you haven't already, and learn all you can about the symptoms and treatments. You will learn more about treatments here, I think. Post any questions you have about this dd because you have a wealth of help at your fingertips here. As you are reading, if at any time you start to feel sadder or more hopeless, anything extremely negative as you are reading a post, just stop. It is never a good idea to wallow in sorrow or to worry excessively. I worried a lot about becoming disabled as I read about people who were, but you just have to take one day at a time. The Bible says that each day has enough trouble of it's own. So don't borrow any.

God Bless,
  5. jinlee

jinlee Member

Knowledge is empowerment! I have had these DDs for 30 years.

It is always ups and downs. I had to quit work finally but not because of the DDs, actually. It was due to docs flub on bilateral shoulder and clavicle surgeries.

I found a new internal medicine doc who is brilliant. She has gotten me to a point where I can see me going back to work again. She has had to really work hard and so did I but now I see some light.

It is not an easy road, probably harder for a man because they are generally the major bread winner; that is just how it is in this world.

My hubby has many health problems and is also scared. So we all are carrying some sort of scary things in our baggage!

I found the best thing to do is to find a good doc, may take awhile, but keep studying on internet, take supplements and experiment with what works and throw out what doesn't.

Most of all, don't let fear grab hold of you because that is just added stress that won't help a bit. Do what you can and realize what you must let go of and don't give in to those ugly guilt feelings.

Take care,
  6. Malcolm82

Malcolm82 New Member

In didn't find it until I had been unable to work for almost 6 months and finally got a CFIDS diagnosis.

All the time before that while I was getting sick was like I was in the Twilight Zone.

Doctor after doctor having no clue what was "wrong" with me, not knowing what was going to happen to me from one day to the next, complete frustration, going through the disability process not knowing what I was really doing... I could go on and on.

Having found this board I now know that I am NOT alone and other people actually DO have what I have, and that their experience gives me hope and a direction to go towards. The advice and information you get from the posters here is invaluable because they have already been where you are and you can avoid alot of pitfalls just by reading what they have been through. You will be able to cope with what is happening to you much easier, when you see that others have been through it.

Stay on this board. You will be much better off for it!
  7. jenn_c

jenn_c New Member

It stinks to be sick. But it gives me great mental relief to come here and talk to people. I am not bedridden but I did have to quit work. When reading my doctors notes, he states that I have severe fibromyalgia. I will survive, I will learn a new way to live.

I think personally that you should first get a diagnosis. If it is fibro, the first thing you learn is that while we all do have similar symptoms, fibro effects everyone differently. I wish you luck and welcome you to come and talk whenever you want.

8. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I'm bedridden but it's because I suffer from severe ME/CFS as well as severe FMS. Other folks here have Lupus and FMS or Lyme and FMS... or other combinations of diseases. If you have just FMS you probably won't end up totally bedridden.

I suggest making sure you take very good care of yourself and buy the best Disability Insurance you can if you're able to just for...well... insurance, if you don't have it already.

Try not to worry and make sure to enjoy life as much as you can, whatever happens. :) I know how you feel though. I worry about my future with these DDs all the time but I try not to.

[This Message was Edited on 09/04/2008]
  9. denpen72

denpen72 New Member

Hi Joe. I suffer from fibromyalgia (and I do mean SUFFER) but I still work full time. However, I am lucky and have a desk job with a flexible and understanding boss. I never call off because I can have a bad day here just like at home. I am afraid if I quit working (which is an option for me, thank goodness), I would get even more depressed and want to sleep the day away. So I look at my job as a sort of therapy for me in a way. It forces me to get up, shower, dress and look presentable. It forces me to keep communication with the public (I'm an insurance agent), and not retreat into a shell (which is soooo tempting sometimes). Fibromyalgia has varying degrees of severity and isn't always progressive. Try not to be afraid of the unknown. Take one day at a time and do your best to manage your current symptoms while still living the best life you possibly can.
  10. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

Many on this board have a combination of issues as Teejkay has suggested.

Best to know what is the worst that can happen and prepare for that such as good supplements, a doctor who can help you stay in the best of health and a disability policy.

I know several people who live a normal life once their FMS has gotten under control.
  11. angelinpain

angelinpain New Member

I'm 30 years old and I still work full time. I take care of myself by eating right and exercising on a regular basis. I have had fibro for 10 years and now know how to handle my flare ups. I have found that the more active I keep myself, the fewer my flare ups. So don't stress. I am still young, yes, but it IS possible to live normally with fibromyalgia. I plan to continue living as normally as possible for years to come and a positive outlook is absolutely essential in order to do that. Good luck!

12. joe27

joe27 New Member

I need a more postive outlook. I know I think that is the worst thing for mr
  13. findmind

findmind New Member

Joe, first, good for you, for trying to find out what could be the cause of your symptoms!

Secondly, let me urge you to do one vital thing before you get a doctor's diagnosis: find a good disability policy and buy it!

Third, please, please do not assume that what you are experiencing is FM. It is vital that you see a good internist and get a complete physical, and maybe a referral to a Rheumatologist if that's recommended.

FM can mimic many other problems with your health. DO get a disability policy first, before you get a diagnosis; it may make your life a lot easier if push comes to shove.

Also, call 1-800-772-1213 if you have not received a "Social Security Benefits Statement" recently. It shows what income you would have if you became disabled, IF you have contributed for 40 "quarters" (which is based on different incomes for different years). That could ease your mind, also.

And last, you'll be glad you came here if you do have FM; I dare say it must be one the the best sites for info from those who have walked in your shoes, and don't have anything to sell you. (Except, go to the "store" here, and order their catalog; it will give you many options for treating your symptoms.)

Best to you,

14. bre_ann

bre_ann New Member

and I've worked the entire time and am still working. Not all have to quit their jobs. I don't have a day without pain but I can continue to work so far so don't let it scare you. Fibro effects people differently. Being able to discuss things on the board is also helpful. Good luck!
  15. PVLady

PVLady New Member

First of all, fibro is not a progressive disease. Many of us here are doing very well. In the past years we have had our ups and downs. If you can learn to really take care of yourself and see the best doctor you can find, you have a good chance to doing fine.

You are not going to lose everything.
  16. cfsgeorge

cfsgeorge New Member

i came here after finnally being bedritten by this parasite called CFS. at first being so tired i could only read but it gave me some comfort to know i'm not alone here in this madness. I almost feel like we are in another world becuz everyting has been turned upside down.

Here's the scary part.....Seems like everyone has been sufferring for many many years and decades. For a 8month newbie like me it's so scary to see their pronosis! There is no cure and there is no universally accepted effective treatments.

So, YOu go look over there for a pill and i'll look for it here. what do we find? nothings changed in the last 2Oyears. Boo! haha. i gave the CDC to fix this shit and it couldn't do in over 20years? CDC found the HIV in 10 years.

when are you going to hand us our lil bugger? bet its too tired to run away from our boots. lol. i can't wait to crush this bugger with my best polished dress shoesx100 hahaha. that's how mad i am at this 'parasite'.

i go from superman to handicap man! I've lost EVERYTHING. It's not worth it crawling around to pee and eat, feeling like shit 24/7, on SSDI. mutha f'r i don't desevere this shit! i did no wrong and helped so many people allmy life!

Oh my Lord......please trade my CFS for cancer. let me live another 10 healthy years and i'll go away peacefully. i beg you. cuz i'm not planning on marrying this bug to the end. do me right or i'll do us right. no joke.
  17. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I am sorry but I need to disagree with you. FM IS a progressive illness. I have had this since I was a child and my mom has had it at least 24 years as well. I will attest that this illness is progressive and I know there are a lot of people who will agree with me on this, including my doctors.

I think the info that states that this illness is not progressive is outdated and wrong.

It is not progressive in the terms that it will not kill us however it DOES get worse in some people as time goes by or more things are added to the equation. Sometimes existing symptoms get worse sometimes new symptoms are added but in any case it can get worse...not in everyone but definitely in some.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/05/2008]
  18. cfsgeorge

cfsgeorge New Member

Do you know if CFS is progressive? cdc says 50% will have partial recovery, another 50% will not recover, and about 5% will have a full recovery all within 2 years. what do you think?
  19. hensue

hensue New Member

Dont get scared! your going to be fine. Have they diagnosed your fibro and what kind of doc are you going to?
    What kind of work are you in? I am asking all these questions for a reason. my job was pretty physcical working in a shoe store and up and down running shoes. Standing all day. My question because i have a son 27 is what are your symptoms?
    Give me a holla
    i promise you it is going to work out. Please let me know what is going on with you. I have problems physical and mental with my 27 year old son who is very sensitive.
    Need you know i understand i have fibro i now understand about a lot of guys who have it. Why i dont know
    I am not bed ridden. I am 54. Do not go there. There are other options.
    Just tell me what have found out or your symptoms.
    Thanks, take care
  20. JaneSmith

JaneSmith New Member

I'm a FM suffer and have been for 41 years. Started at age 15 and I'm now 56. I had 2 childred and work a full time job. I'm not bed ridden but if I don't exercise, I could be. In the morning, just to get started, I have to go on the treadmill.... in pain. I'm always in pain....It's not an easy life and life is hard enough then this burden. Keep your physical job. If you read more about FM you will see that the pain of FM is compared to many diseases that have pain. Blood tests - tests, rule out everything else and then it's FM. Haven't found a doctor that could ever help me. They just give up. Good luck and keep up the spirit. My son who is 30 has FM but won't admit it and so does my daughter who is 27.