this constant muscle twitching, driving me nuts.......

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bre_ann, Mar 4, 2003.

1. bre_ann

bre_ann New Member

I read some old posts that magnesium might help. I will try that but oh my goodness, these twitches are making me nuts!
  2. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I have muscle twitches and my dr. prescribed Neurontin. It does help, especially at night. I get the twitches mostly when I'm very tired. I guess between the magnesium and Neurontin, it's less than it used to be.

Annette2
  3. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

Hi Bre-Ann,
    What kind of muscle twitching do you have and where do you have it at. I am curious because my face and eye twitches on the right side. I had Botox and it made my eye lid droop.It wear off after a few monthes and didn't stop it completely. It's not quite as bad as it was but hasn't stopped. I take magnesium also.I have them in my leg muscles and potassium helps that.
  4. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

Me too on muscle twitching. It used to keep me awake at night alot, or awaken me. It sometimes started on the top side of my body, like the arm, travelled down my leg and then knee.. foot. Wild for sure.

I have been taking some new meds, and I think its helped me fall to sleep easier at night, and not have a morning grogginess. I started a med for broncial asthma called singulair, and along with zanaflex, and a vicodin.. it puts me to sleep faster, and I dont awaken so often.

You are not alone with it, I know how it feels, made me feel like freak on a hot wire.
  5. layinglow

layinglow New Member

I had small muscle twitches as well as limb, truck, neck, and head involment. It is said that those of us with this disorder suffer from mini seizure activity. Mine are completely under control now, with klonopin.
    Another thing you might try is B12. If you have malabsorption probs due to poor gut, (IBS, candida, bacterial infection--they will even take b12 away from you :-( for their own use.), you can be deficient, even if serum level shows norm.
    Best wishes, LL
  6. camelgirl

camelgirl New Member

i have had this problem for about 4 years now, and the only thing that has made it stop is klonopin, and believe me i've tried everything...i was off the klonopin for awhile, but as soon as i started back up on it, the twitches stopped immediately:)
    peace, camelgirl
  7. granch

granch New Member

I twitch at night when I am sleeping and it happens more when I am very tired. It does not bother me as much as it does my husband. I sleep very very deep and I do not really feel it once I fall asleep. Hubby is a very light sleeper so it is driving him nuts. Thanks for sharing, it
    is nice to know I am not alone. No question is off the wall when it comes to CFS and FM.
  8. bre_ann

bre_ann New Member

I tried the magnesium last night and it helped almost immediately. I couldn't believe it! I took more today and don't think I've had one twitch! It was just about to make me stir crazy!
    Fairydust, I got the twitches all over. It would just go from one place to another to another and it was almost constant. My right eyelid has been twitching bad but I have to say the twitches were happening all over, even in my abdomen.
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate the replys.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/05/2003]
  9. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Mel said what I would have said, but he got here first! The ZMA stopped all my twitching, my eye used to drive me nuts, my arms and legs would wake me up at night. I have been taking the ZMA for one year, I sleep wonderfully, and no twitching at all!

Also, you might want to start a low dose (like 100 or 200) natural vitamin E. It is also sold here at Pro Health. Its wonderful for twitching too. But not as quick acting as the magnesium.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Shalom, Shirl
  10. magansc

magansc New Member

hI,
    I am new at this so excuse me if i sound uninformed. I have been having troubles since November 02. It started with tingling in both of my upper arms. I would feel sensations of warmth in my thighs and now I have twinges especially in the back of my legs and sometimes sides of my neck. My knees also feel weak. My doctor thinks it may be restless leg syndrome and i do have a low iron (35 count). I am awaiting the latest brain mri so i suppose i may find out more soon. The sensations seem to be more in my right leg with tingling in the foot sometimes but it is also in the left especially the twinges. The latest symptom has been vertigo when I get up or lay down too quickly. Can this be a symptom of fm? Any ideas? It sounds more like the fibromyalgia than rls. thanks michele
    [This Message was Edited on 04/18/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 04/18/2003]
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Try the ZMA first for a while and if that doesn't do it, ask your doc about Klonopin or Neurontin. If you want to read Dr. Paul Cheney's article on Klonopin, do a search on his name in our library and it will bring up a list of his articles. Last I looked, it was about the 7th one down. It does a really good job of explaining muscle spasms and a lot of other symptoms. Dr. Cheney is an expert in CFIDS, but this is an area which overlaps both CFIDS and FMS.

Love, Mikie