Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Cromwell, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

THIS IS what happened today, in the USA.

Today was the school talent show. Our son, Danny is just 14, and has autism, RA and a really bad facial condition (not dxd that swells his face and eyes up.

The talent show were really the popular kids, the big achievers etc you know how it goes. He was the only special needs kid.

So he was on 10th and playing on his keyboard on stage. The auiditorium was packed. He started to play (and he plays well). We were on the front row, we heard some murmering going on behind us and at first I thought, "Oh no, the kids are laughing at him or something." The woman next to us said, "Turn around".

We turned around and every kid in the auditorium was standing with their cell phone lights held high, row after row, doing the wave for him through his act, their arms all reaching up. What a sight!

We were so touched and moved by this, so proud of those kids for showing what Americans are and can be. God bless them all. I think this story will bring tears to my eyes the rest of my life.

Love Annie

2. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

Hi Annie,

That was beautiful. Thanks for sharing. I am so happy for you, dh and your son. When did he start to play a musical instrument? Is that one of his special interests?

3. sisland

sisland New Member

Tears here Too!,,,,How Kool is that!,,,,So Happy for Danny and your Family!!,,,,,,,,,Sis
  4. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Annie ,

Well it sounds like alot of people have done things right in his school- The teachers, the students, Danny and YOU !!! What a wonderful story. As you know, students or children can be terribly cruel but in this case they apparently learned something (the students) very good, in the way the teachers probably handled the situation with Danny, about themselves.

I am so glad Danny did so well and the students acted the way they did. Youu must be so proud of Danny and al those students too. Very touching !

BTW Annie you've been and have done s super job with Danny.

Hugs and blessings,

5. ckball

ckball New Member

Oh I told you he would blow their socks off. That is so cool, I hope someone write an article in the newspaper about this.

You have raised your child well and you should be very proud of him. I am so happy for you-Carla
  6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Good news is always worth sharing. I will keep this memory for the rest of my life for sure.

Danny spent April giving talks to the whole school (one a week) on autism and Invisible Disabilities, he expalined how it feels to be different. He also coined a phrase "Open the Door, Don't Shut us Out" and we made a lufe sized door for the wall in cafeteria. He challenged kids to sign the door and pledge to always include those who may have different or special needs. He got over 200 signatures. Then it has been platicised to stay up.

Many kids have spoken with him about their not really knowing or understanding. Other kids felt comfortable enough to reveal their invisible disabilities, from dyslexia to bi polar and some physical things too, that they felt they had to keep hidden before. He has led the whole school really, including staff, to understand more.

He also came to the University and assisted my talk to grad students there-he is a true ambassador.

But the kids, those 6,7,8th graders are the real heroes as they listened, they accepted, they have gone out of their way to change the world for him and others like him.

He taught himself how to play just a few months ago and the song he played was "I Just Called to Say I Love You". He also today, got The High Achievement Award for Science.

One of the boys sang "Hallelujah" which is also very special and moving for us as it really is all about being different and needing love.

Thank God we moved here last year,away from all his school troubles last year, as this is an answer to a prayer for us. To know your child is so loved.

Love Annie
    [This Message was Edited on 06/26/2008]
  7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

tears here too.

I thought from your title it was going to be something bad.

What a wonderful experience for Danny and the family. I am so happy for you.

8. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Oh, Annie, tears are running down my face at the joy you must have felt - and Danny too.

God bless those dear kids.

9. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Also in tears! Beautiful story. You have been living such a remarkable story these past few years. Your family fought and fought and refused to give up or give in. You are an inspiration.

10. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Such a joy to hear that our youth have the capacity for both

compassion and love and to demonstrate it in such a collective

manner! Judos to both they and Danny! Thanks for relaying

that precious moment to us.

11. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I am in tears, happy tears, for you and Danny. That is wonderful. When i was reading your post, the chills ran down my spine and I got goosebumps all over the place.

He deserves that so much as he is so special and talented. What wonderful kids to do this for him too.

Give yourself credit too Annie, he couldn't have done it without you and your support. Great Job!!!!!

Thanks for sharing this happy story with us Annie.

[This Message was Edited on 06/26/2008]
  12. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

This brings such joy to my heart. The disabled are always so misunderstood and finally those kids let him just be a teenager like they are.....what a truly wonderful day. This brought tears to my eyes I'm so happy for this accomplishment.

Thank you so much Annie for sharing this with all of here!
  13. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

what a wonderful experience for both you, Dan, and Danny.

I am so proud of him, you and the older young people that made Danny a star for the moment. Parenting a child with special needs takes special parents and you certainly qualify.

I've always admired your dedication and love for him. I'm so happy for all of you.

14. boltchik

boltchik New Member

That is the best story I have read in a long time, happy tears here! I often get frustrated at the selfish attitudes that seem to be the norm with teenagers. But your story has shown the other side. It sounds like you have done a wonderful job raising your son.

Wow, that story really lifted me up! Thank you so much for sharing. Kim :)
  15. springwater

springwater Active Member

One hears sad stories about autism and how hard it is for sfferers but your story is so uplifting....

how proud you must be of your son, his performance, the other chidrens support and love for him and the way he is going about changing other kids outlook on autism and getting them to bring out their own disablities and speak wonderful.

I hope and am sure this will be just one of many more such performances and your young lad will continue to do yourself, his country and himself proud in the days to come

Congratulations and thanks for sharing

God Bless

16. sues1

sues1 New Member

Thanks for sharing this touching story. It made me laugh, cry and be proud of not only Danny, you and the rest of the family, but the school in a whole.

I copied and pasted your two main postings, being careful not to get any info of the site in the message and sent it to a friend in PA.
    THIS WAS HER REPLY.......where are my kleenexs...
    We are lucky to have a school just like this woman’s son’s school. I went to the same school (that my son is going to) from 5th grade up and this school is MUCH more accepting at this day and age than when I went there. We are very blessed to have students who are kind and watch out for Ricky and accept him for who he is. I could see our school doing the same things done below J This story brought tears to my eyes to hear a child that is different can be treated special J My son got an award a few months ago that they call the VIP award. They give it to a few kids in each grade and it’s for kids who go out of their way to help the teachers, do what they are told, etc. they have a picnic for the kids that get chosen. One of the girls in Ricky’s grade made a poster for Ricky and took it around for a bunch of different kids to sign. She did it on her own because she was proud of Ricky J Ricky is NEVER sick and wouldn’t you know it the day of the picnic (which was also the day of the band and chorus concert….he is in chorus) he got a stomach flu!!! The poor kid threw up most of the night and I MADE him stay home from school. He was so sad. At the end of the day my husband took him in so he could at least go to the picnic and he was there maybe a half and hour and one of the teachers called and said maybe we should come and get him because you could tell he felt ill. So we went and got him and he had to miss the chorus concert. All of the teachers and students were very concerned he wasn’t there because he never misses school J They knew it had to be something out of the ordinary!

I have adult RA and this week has been terrible! I am not sure if it is the weather or what but my poor body has been killing me……..If Danny has RA I am assuming he has the RA that children get and grow out of?

I am trying to talk my son into learning the piano (we really don’t have any in the area to give lessons) or the guitar. His music teacher told me has perfect pitch and he said that is rare…….so I bet he’d be great with an instrument!

Please send more Danny stories as you get them. He sounds like a great kid ;)

............with all the terrible news we hear, this is a real treat Annie. Do you know more on Danny's RA? Also what about the facial problem? One little guy in our family gets red cheeks real easy and his eyes swell, he has been wheezy but Drs. say it is not because of tht. Allergy tests has been ran, still trying to find out what the problem is. Dr. said he just over heats too easily with no more info.

17. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

for passing this on. It needs to be shared and I hope others will. We are hoping to get a copy of the video and have Carla run it on her UTube. I hope the world sees it, they need to know there are kids who care this way. And let's hear it for USA kids (and I am a Brit too!) who did this.

I would be interested to share info with the child with the red cheeks and swollen eyes. Is there a way this would be possible?

The RA, he had it bad when very young and we thought he had outgrown it, then it sort of morphed into this facial thing. A few years ago we had a family doctor who had this big red face and swollen eyes she said was RA of a rare type.

We see the new rheumie tomorrow so fingers crossed. In many ways, his autism keeps him cheery, but the face has really marred his good looks and made him unrecogniseable from what he used to call himself "I am a chick mangate (not spelling error!!)mom!"

I may chat to carla about sending you his pic. so you can compare to your family son with similar condition. Danny does not get wheezy though.

I am about an inch away from giving in and getting a new puter and printer.

Love Annie

18. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

I'm abit late reading your post, but touched non the less, with tears also in my eyes.

I will be sharing your story with my friend who has a high functioning astistic child, in 9th grade. And has been fighting the school and teachers since 2nd grade to get him the help and and accomadations he needs.

Now that he's in highschool, and is very high functioning they don't understand he is DISABLED, and feel it's time he matures and no longer needs people holding his hand and giving him that extra help he needs to suceed.

Thanks for sharing.

19. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member

I am so happy for all of you.

too many tears to continue,

20. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

How absolutely Beautiful!!!