This helped my Chronic pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by stacim18, Jul 16, 2012.

1. stacim18

stacim18 New Member

Hey everyone, I just wanted to share a really good book. I just finished reading it and it actually really helped me. I was getting massages once a week, but as you can imagine, that got really expensive, really fast. So I started reading some books and a lot of them were not so great. But this one actually had a lot of good reading and great ideas. Here is a link if anyone is interested.

(link removed by moderator)
  2. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

So many of us are suffering so's disheartening if you're one of those who come here just to sell something.
  3. stacim18

stacim18 New Member

I am not here to sell. I just though I would share. Im not telling anyone they have to buy anything. this is just the link that I went to to order the book. there is more info there, so people can read and decide if they want to read it or not. thanks for giving me such a negativewelcome to this. I was actually really looking forwarding to talking with other people as thisis the first time time I have been to one of these sites.

Thanks again
  4. IanH

IanH Active Member

I tried this but got a server not found. Is the link correct?

OK. with a bit of tinkering I got it.

The essence is:

"Adam Heller’s theory that repressed emotions can ignite physiological changes in our body is fascinating and relevant. I personally believe there is great truth to this."
    [This Message was Edited on 07/17/2012]
  5. Goatwoman

Goatwoman Member

I do not believe in "diversional pain" (this is just my opinion.)

I worked in mental health for many years. I feel strongly about this, as we had patients who c/o physical pain, and the treating psychiatrists thought it was part of patient's mental illness. The nursing staff finally convinced the MD to get a medical referral for one of the patients, and the results found advanced cancer of the pancreas, which killed the patient.

This is just another theory which suggests our pain from FM, etc, is psychological.

6. ILoveGreen

ILoveGreen New Member

Is this what they tell our DAVs? How about victims of heinous crime and assault? It's no different if we've been slammed around in auto accidents or if our bodies lash out on us due to overuse in any other way. Theories are just that. Practice is logical, in my humble opinion. Malingering is another story...and for those who become seriously depressed I believe there is a need within the medical profession to intervene and direct patients to counseling rather than Rx anti-depressants w/o cognitive therapy.
  7. Nikki

Nikki Member

anyone should be rx'd anti-depressants w/o cognitive therapy.

Last year, I went thru a depression I never thought possible. It was definitely the worst thing I had ever experienced. I've posted about it before.

But, my point . . . w/o the group therapy I rec'd, 6hrs/day 5 days/week for 3 mos, I truly don't believe I would have recovered. I am on low doses of anti-depressants now . . . and feel fully recovered.
    I'd had bad days in the past, even bad weeks; but, I finally knew what true depressions was all about. I spent 3 weeks in the bed, not sleeping, and crying constantly. My husband finally told me if I didn't get dressed and go w/him to see a Dr., he would drag me out in my PJ's. We found out that our city has one of the best out-patient facilities in the US. I was "forced" to attend group classes (didn't want to go - then didn't want to leave) and see a therapist . . . meds alone would have never worked for me.

Oh, well, I think I've gone off topic.

Soft Hugs,
    Sharon (Nikki)
  8. luigi21

luigi21 Member

thanks for post stacim18, is this book based on the same theory as john sarno?
  9. GeminiMoon

GeminiMoon Member

Please don't give up on this board stacim18! There are a lot of good people here with good suggestions. I have been helped a lot here and I hope that I have helped others too, just like you were trying to do.

All the best :)
  10. MicheleK

MicheleK Member

It was very kind of you to post about a book that you thought might help others. I hope you will continue to do so. Hugs, MicheleK
  11. IanH

IanH Active Member

Why is it that people are so resistant to psychological stressors being a cause of ME or FM? Not THE cause but a risk factor. There is a lot of evidence that psychological stress, which is physiological stress is a major risk factor for FM. I think the quote from the site: "Adam Heller’s theory that repressed emotions can ignite physiological changes in our body is fascinating and relevant. I personally believe there is great truth to this." tells us what the book is about. I think it is over-simplistic to think that "repressed" emotions is the cause of FM but psychological factors will affect sleep and disturbed/poor sleep is a major risk factor in FM as well as being an effect of increased pain.

Hence, part of managing the illness is managing stress.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/25/2012]
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

First, welcome to our boards. I don't know whether this link was to a commercial website or not. It is against the rules to post commercial websites here. I removed the link because it doesn't work. You may mention names of books, authors and a bit about the books. That would be more helpful to our members.

IMHO, there is no separating mind, body and spirit. If one is sick, all are likely sick. Healing just one of those areas may help but I think we need to address all three.

Love, Mikie
  13. beccanrobg

beccanrobg Member

My husband is a counselor and works with the Mindfulness theory. A basic summary is that we can retrain how we think about things and reap benefits from it. He states- instead of seeing ourselves as disabled or fibro or whatever we redefine it as this section of my life is Fibro. I know for myself that I have fibro - I am in a flare today - but fibro no longer defines me. I am a mom, a wife, I like amusement parks, hikes, knitting, helping friends, laughing, being loved, reading. I have good and bad memories and experiences but I used to be caught in the fibro obsession. I was angry and depressed that my life had changed. I felt guilty for letting my family down. I think any helps out there that may help us develop techniques that reduce our pain and suffering are worth exploring if within a persons comfort level.

Thanks Stacim for sharing something that you found helpful. hugs
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Someone say that he is not disabled. He said he has a disability.

I've done everything I can to help heal physically. I've done a lot of researching to help my mind understand these conditions. I also exercise my mind to try to keep it working and active.

The spiritual growth seems to be a silver lining of these conditions. What I can change, I do. What I can't, I see as a challenge which will help me grow spiritually. I've never asked, "Why me?" That is useless and stops spiritual growth but I do understand why people ask. It is better to move on from that outlook. Acceptance doesn't mean giving in or giving up. It means we are free to accept the limitations we can't change, at least, for now, and work with what we do have.

Any therapy or treatment which isn't harmful and helps is valid in our healing.

Love, Mikie