This is Amazing MSG

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fairydust39, Feb 23, 2007.

1. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

And we wonder why we are fat ???? Shirley

MSG - The Slow
    Poisoning Of America
    MSG Hides Behind 25+ Names, Such As 'Natural Flavouring'
    MSG Is Also In Your Favorite Coffee Shops And Drive-Ups
    9-12-5

I wondered if there could be an actual chemical causing the massive obesity epidemic, so did a friend of mine, John Erb.

He was a research assistant at the University of Waterloo in Ontario, Canada, and spent years working for the government.

He made an amazing discovery while going through scientific journals for a book he was writing called "The Slow Poisoning of America".

In hundreds of studies around the world, scientists were creating obese mice and rats to use in diet or diabetes test studies. No strain of rat or mice is naturally obese, so the scientists have to create them. They make these morbidly obese creatures by injecting them with MSG when they are first born. The MSG triples the amount of insulin the pancreas creates; causing rats (and humans?) to become obese. They even have a title for the fat rodents they create: "MSG-Treated Rats".

I was shocked too. I went to my kitchen, checking the cupboards and the fridge. MSG was in everything: The Campbell's soups, the Hostess Doritos, the Lays flavoured potato chips, Top Ramen, Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper, Heinz canned gravy, Swanson frozen prepared meals, Kraft salad dressings, especially the 'healthy low fat' ones.

The items that didn't have MSG marked on the product label had something called 'Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein', which is just another name for Monosodium Glutamate.

It was shocking to see just how many of the foods we feed our children everyday are filled with this stuff. They hide MSG under many different names in order to fool those who carefully read the ingredient list, so they don't catch on. (Other names for MSG: 'Accent' - 'Aginomoto' - 'Natural Meet Tenderizer', etc) But it didn't stop there. When our family went out to eat, we started asking at the restaurants what menu items had MSG.

Many employees, even the managers, swore they didn't use MSG. But when we ask for the ingredient list, which they grudgingly provided, sure enough MSG and Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein were everywhere:

Burger King
    McDonalds
    Wendy's
    Taco Bell

And every restaurant like: TGIF, Chilis', Applebees and Denny's use MSG in abundance.

Kentucky Fried Chicken seemed to be the WORST offender: MSG was in EVERY chicken dish, salad dressing and gravy. No wonder I loved to eat that coating on the skin, their secret spice was MSG.

So, why is MSG in so may of the foods we eat?

Is it a preservative or a vitamin?? Not according to my friend John. In the book he wrote, an expose of the food additive industry called "The Slow Poisoning of America" he said that MSG is added to food for the addictive effect it has on the human body. http://www.spofamerica.com

Even the propaganda website sponsored by the food manufacturers lobby group supporting MSG at: http://www.msgfactscom/facts/msgfact12.html explains that the reason they add it to food is to make people EAT MORE OF THEIR PRODUCTS.

A study of the elderly showed that people eat more of the foods it is added to.The Glutamate Association lobby group says eating more benefits the elderly, but what does it do to the rest of us? 'Betcha can't eat just one', takes on a whole new meaning where MSG is concerned! And we wonder why the nation is overweight?

The MSG manufacturers themselves admit that it addicts people to their products. It makes people choose their product over others, and makes people eat more of it than they would if MSG wasn't added.

Not only is MSG scientifically proven to cause obesity, it is an addictive substance! Since its introduction into the American food supply fifty years ago, MSG has been added in larger and larger doses to the pre-packaged meals, soups, snacks and fast foods we are tempted to eat everyday.The FDA has set no limits on how much of it can be added to food. They claim it's safe to eat in any amount. How can they claim it safe when there are hundreds of scientific studies with titles like these? :-

'The monosodium glutamate (MSG) obese rat as a model for the study of exercise in obesity'. GobattoCA, Mello MA, Souza CT, Ribeiro IA.Res Commun Mol Pathol Pharmacol. 2002.

'Adrenalectomy abolishes the food-induced hypothalamic serotonin release in both normal and monosodium glutamate-obese rats'. Guimaraes RB, Telles MM, Coelho VB, Mori C, Nascimento CM, Ribeiro Brain Res Bull. 2002 Aug.

'Obesity induced by neonatal monosodium glutamate treatment in spontaneously hypertensive rats: an animal model of multiple risk factors'. Iwase M, Yamamoto M, Iino K, IchikawaK, Shinohara N, Yoshinari Fujishima Hypertens Res. 1998 Mar.

'Hypothalamic lesion induced by injection of monosodium glutamate in suckling period and subsequent development of obesity'. Tanaka K, Shimada M, Nakao K, Kusunoki Exp Neurol. 1978 Oct.

Yes, that last study was not a typo, it WAS written in 1978. Both the "medical research community" and "food manufacturers" have known about MSG's side effects for decades! Many more studies mentioned in John Erb's book link MSG to Diabetes, Migraines and headaches, Autism, ADHD and even Alzheimer's. But what can we do to stop the food manufactures from dumping fattening and addictive MSG into our food supply and causing the obesity epidemic we now see?

Even as you read this, G. W. Bush and his corporate supporters are pushing a Bill through Congress called the "Personal Responsibility in Food Consumption Act" also known as the "Cheeseburger Bill", this sweeping law bans anyone from suing food manufacturers, sellers and distributors. Even if it comes out that they purposely added an addictive chemical to their foods. Read about it for yourself at: http://www.yahoo.com. The Bill has already been rushed through the House of Representatives, and is due for the same rubber stamp at Senate level. It is important that Bush and his corporate supporters get it through before the media lets everyone know about 'MSG, the intentional Nicotine for food'.

Several months ago, John Erb took his book and his concerns to one of the highest government health officials in Canada. While sitting in the Government office, the official told him "Sure, I know how bad MSG is, I wouldn't touch the stuff." But this top level government official refused to tell the public what he knew.

The big media doesn't want to tell the public either, fearing legal issues with their advertisers. It seems that the fallout on fast food industry may hurt their profit margin. The food producers and restaurants have been addicting us to their products for years, and now we are paying the price for it. Our children should not be cursed with obesity caused by an addictive food additive. But what can I do about it?... I'm just one voice.

What can I do to stop the poisoning of our children, while our governments are insuring financial protection for the industry that is poisoning us.

This e-mail is going out to everyone I know in an attempt to tell you the truth that the corporate owned politicians and media won't tell you. The best way you can help to save yourself and your children from this drug-induced epidemic, is to forward this email to everyone. With any luck, it will circle the globe before politicians can pass the legislation protecting those who are poisoning us. The food industry learned a lot from the tobacco industry. Imagine if big tobacco had a bill like this in place before someone blew the whistle on Nicotine?

If you are one of the few who can still believe that MSG is good for us, and you don't believe what John Erb has to say, see for yourself. Go to the National Library of Medicine, at http://www.pubmed.com. Type in the words "MSG Obese" and read a few of the 115 medical studies that appear.

We the public, do not want to be rats in one giant experiment and we do not approve of food that makes us into a nation of obese, lethargic, addicted sheep, feeding the food industry's bottom line, while waiting for the heart transplant, diabetic induced amputation, blindness or other obesity induced, life threatening disorders. With your help we can put an end to this poison. Do your part in sending this message out by word of mouth, e-mail or by distribution of this print-out to all your friends all over the world and stop this 'Slow Poisoning of Mankind' by the packaged food industry.

Blowing the whistle on MSG is our responsibility, get the word out.

2. Catseye

Catseye Member

That reminds me of Planter's Cheese Balls. I was nutty for those things years ago. And I remember when I was alot younger looking at a bottle of Accent flavor enhancer and it said on the bottle it was MSG. And I remember wondering why there were 3 different names for what was in the can.

The lengths to which the food companies will go to have gotten out of hand. Now marketing foods involves psychologists devising the best marketing means and flavor testers inventing irresistable new flavors, msg enhanced whenever possible, of course. The strategies employed to persuade people to choose and eat large amounts of their products are simply devious, just this side of the law. And they all have enormous legal departments to make sure their side of the law is quite large.

And it took me getting seriously ill to realize all this. When I try to tell my friends or family, I get the same look: "okay, dear, we know you're sick but we're still having fun eating what we want." Gee, it's the same look I used to give to health nuts when they tried to tell me about food! Wow, aren't paybacks hell!

karen
  3. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

Yes I know exactly what you mean by payback time. I am also one who POO POOed what people told me about food choices. BUT I am a lot older and wiser today.
    This MSG is killing people and the gov. is allowing big corp. to do it.Those who have money get richer by selling us junk.I BET THEY DON"T EAT MSG !!!
    Hugs Shirley
  4. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

I have to be real careful where I eat. I love Chinese food but its usually loaded. In Mandarin chinese, MSG is called "whey-sheng", so I tell the waiter, NO whey-sheng, whey-sheng bu-hau. Bu hau means No good.

In Spanish, its Monosodio Glutamato.

If food tastes REAL good, I spit it out...been sick too many times. CFS is bad enough!
  5. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I too love Chinese food but don't eat there anymore. But according to this most ALL the restaurants use MSG. So I guess we have to eat at home. They said all fast foods and even KFC,uses it. So where can we eat out?
    Hugs Shirley
    [This Message was Edited on 02/23/2007]
  6. woofmom

woofmom New Member

The latest autism research mentions glutamate. Dr. Russell Blaylock has some very good info about MSG and other brain altering substances.
  7. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

I wonder if Glutamate and MSG are one and the same?
    I take L-Glutamine,would that be the same thing?
    Hope someone can answer this question!
    Hugs Shirley
  8. ladude

ladude New Member

they are not the same notice the spelling difference, it is confusing as I too wondered aloud

just for fun glutamaTe is also in food naturally and for those of us w/ CFS who tend to be MSG/Glutamate sensitive, notice if you eat any of these items EVEN LOW on the list --- any reaction? My bod sure notices and hates me when I don't pay attention!

http://www.msgfacts.com/lookatfacts.html (This is a PRO MSG SITE)

Free Glutamate Content of Foods (mg/ml)
    Cow’s milk 2
    Human milk 22
    Eggs 23
    Beef 33
    Fish (mackerel) 36
    Chicken 44
    Potatoes 102
    Corn 130
    Oysters 137
    Tomatoes 140
    Broccoli 176
    Mushrooms 180
    Peas 200
    Grape juice 258
    Fresh tomato juice 260
    Walnuts 658
    Soy sauce 1,090
    Parmesan cheese 1,200
    Roquefort cheese 1,280

THEN this is the list of the really really bad guys!

the link has much more worth reading if new to
    MSG The Terrible
    http://www.cbn.com/CBNnews/107749.aspx

Sources of MSG: The Seven Primary Sources
    1. Aspartame: Has the aspartic acid form of MSG as well as toxic methanol/formaldehyde.
    2. Casein: Processed milk protein high in MSG - such as calcium caseinate
    3. Gelatin: Processed proteins give gelatin its structure, hence it has MSG.
    4. Glutamate: Monosodium glutamate or any ingredient including the word glutamate.
    5. Hydrolyzed: Any time you see this word, it's a processed protein - such as hydrolyzed corn, hydrolyzed wheat, hydrolyzed soy.
    6. Protein: Most processed or hydrolyzed protein - such as textured protein.
    7. Yeast: Problematic when it is yeast extract, autolyzed yeast, or yeast food, but NOT plain yeast.

Sources of MSG: The Twenty Secondary Sources
    Note: These may, and generally do, contain some MSG. Especially in combination, they can give doses as high or higher than the primary sources above. Most are ingredient names, a few are processing methods.
    1. Barley malt
    2. Bouillon
    3. Broth
    4. Carrageenan
    5. Citric acid
    6. Disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate (These are not MSG, but make it more potent.)
    7. Enzymes: containing, or called enzyme modified
    8. Fermented: This process can generate MSG
    9. Flavoring and flavor
    10. Malt extract, malt flavoring
    11. Maltodextrin
    12. Natural beef flavoring, natural chicken flavoring, natural pork flavoring, et cetera
    13. Pectin
    14. Protease, Protease enzymes: These substances can produce MSG in processing
    15. Protein fortified
    16. Seasonings: listed as seasonings
    17. Soy: Soy protein, soy protein concentrate, soy protein isolate, soy sauce, soy sauce extract
    18. Stock
    19. Ultra-pasteurized
    20. Whey: whey protein, whey protein concentrate, whey protein isolate

hope this helps
    LADude

[this message may have been edited to protect the innocent]

9. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Russell Blaylock MD who is an authority on excitotoxins, has some bad things to say about it. I WOULD NOT use it, under any circumstances!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  10. Catseye

Catseye Member

I was wondering the same thing before but you prompted me to look it up. Here's what wikipedia had to say:

"Glutamine, and the closely-related compound glutamate, are two amino acids that are critical to human health. In humans, animals, and plants, glutamine and glutamate are transformed into each other as part of numerous physiological processes. The roles of these amino acids in human diseases were intensively researched during the past decade and continue to be the subject of scrutiny. One area of interest is their potential health effects when they are provided in addition to the normal dietary intake that is already several grams per day.
    Glutamine has been recommended by nutritionists as a dietary supplement for several serious disease conditions and there is growing research support for this action."

"MSG is a sodium salt of glutamic acid."

"When dissolved in water or saliva it rapidly dissociates into free sodium and glutamate ions (glutamate is the anionic form of glutamic acid, a naturally occurring amino acid)."

"Because MSG is absorbed very quickly (unlike glutamic acid-containing proteins in foods), MSG could spike blood plasma levels of glutamate.[6][7][8] Glutamic acid is in a class of chemicals known as excitotoxins, high levels of which have been shown in animal studies to cause damage to areas of the brain unprotected by the blood-brain barrier and that a variety of chronic diseases can arise out of this neurotoxicity."

Well, that wasn't enough info for me so I kept looking and found this at mercola, but it's long:

"Of course, I never stated glutamine was an excitotoxin, but I do state that it is converted into the excitotoxin glutamate within neurons. Numerous recent studies as well as Siegel’s Basic Neurochemistry textbook emphatically state that the major source of glutamate is from glutamine in the brain. Normally, when the brain finishes using glutamate for chemical communication between brain cells at the synapse the glutamate is taken up by surrounding glial cells and changed by the enzyme glutamine synthease into glutamine, where it is stored.

The Problem With Excitotoxins

The glutamine is then transported to the neuron and by the enzyme glutaminase, it is converted to glutamate--the potential excitotoxin. I say potential because unless it accumulates outside the brain cell it is harmless.

This is the major source of glutamate within the brain. Excitotoxins are usually amino acids, such as glutamate and aspartate. These special amino acids cause particular brain cells to become excessively excited, to the point they will quickly die. Excitotoxins can also cause a loss of brain synapses and connecting fibers. Food-borne excitotoxins include such additives as MSG, aspartame, hydrolyzed protein and soy protein extract.

In two recent studies it was found that the amount of glutamine in the brain could predict the brain damage seen both in pediatric brain injuries and brain damage secondary to seizures. Adding large amounts of glutamine to the diet increases significantly brain levels of glutamine and, hence, glutamate. Another study found that by adding glutamine to the diet of animals exposed to another powerful excitotoxin called quinolinic acid, brain cell damage was increased significantly. Quinolinic acid is known to accumulate in the brain in most cases of viral brain infection as seen with HIV dementia and viral encephalitis.

Glutamine and Liver Toxicity

Individuals with liver toxicity tend to accumulate ammonia in their blood and brain. Until recently, it was assumed that it was the ammonia that caused liver disease-associated brain injury and that glutamine was protective.

Newer studies indicate that actually it is the glutamine that is causing the brain’s injury. Increasing glutamine in the diet would significantly aggravate this damage.

Free Radicals in the Brain

Glutamine accumulation has also been found in Alzheimer’s disease, Huntington’s disease and high levels of brain glutamine have been associated with a worse prognosis in Lou Gehrig’s disease. Likewise, recent studies have shown that high brain glutamine levels increase brain levels of free radicals and impair the ability of brain mitochondria to produce energy. When the brain produces low energy, excitotoxins, such as glutamate, become even more toxic. It has been shown that the reason for glutamine toxicity under these conditions is because it is converted to the excitotoxin--glutamate.

Glutamine and Multiple Sclerosis

Of particular concern is the finding that people with multiple sclerosis have increased levels of the enzyme glutaminase (the enzyme that converts glutamine into glutamate) in areas of nerve fiber damage. High levels of glutamine in the diet would increase glutamate levels near these injured areas magnifying the damage. It has been shown that excitotoxicity plays a major role in multiple sclerosis by destroying the cells (oligodendrocytes) that produce myelin.

Glutamine and Pregnant Women

Another area of concern would be pregnant women. Glutamine passes through the placenta and may actually be concentrated in the baby’s blood, producing very high levels. Glutamate plays a major role in the development of the baby’s brain. Excess glutamate has been shown to cause significant impairment of brain development in babies and can lead to mental retardation.

When to Use Glutamine

The major use for high-dose glutamine would be to repair gastrointestinal injury. In such cases, I would recommend short-term use only. Those with a history of the following conditions should avoid glutamine, even for short-term use:

Stroke
    Neurodegenerative disease
    Pregnancy
    Malignancy
    Recent vaccinations
    ADHD
    Hypoglycemia
    Autism
    Multiple sclerosis
    Other neurological disorders
    Glutamine has recently been shown to produce extreme hypoglycemia, even more so than leucine, which is known to produce fatal hypoglycemia in infants.

The reason Chinese Restaurant Syndrome is not seen with glutamine challenge is that the glutamate receptors in the lungs and esophagus are stimulated by glutamate, not glutamine. The glutamine must be converted first and this occurs primarily in the brain.

The only safe situation for glutamine use is in the vigorous athlete. Glutamine is used as a muscle fuel, so that vigorous exercise will consume most of the glutamine before it can accumulate in the brain. I would still avoid long-term use in high doses. I would caution readers to avoid excess glutamine, especially in the above named conditions and situations."

I used it in a 30 day supply supplement for leaky gut syndrome last year and I think it repaired my gut somewhat because most of the symptoms went away. I still have some and I take it once in awhile, but not very often.

Now I depleted a bunch of neuros to read and understand all of this and it's STILL not cut and dry if it's a good thing to use or not. Dang. I have gotten alot of tips on energy from bodybuilding websites, though.

I guess if you are hypoglycemic, eat lots of chinese food and you DON'T work out heavily, you shouldn't use glutamine or your neurons will explode.

karen

[This Message was Edited on 02/24/2007]
  11. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

in powder form for Leaky Gut and Candida. I used to have UC for 30 year ! I just used 1/8 th tsp. in water but not too often. It seemed as though it did help though !
    Now I don't know that it's safe. My Dr told me to use it.
    Well thanks everyone for giving me a heads up on this topic but it seems that everything has it in, according to the post on what to avoid. I'll have to stop eating LOL
    Hugs Shirley
  12. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I have known for a long time that MSG is bad news but did not realize it was in so many things. Thanks for the list :)
  13. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Asians made their MSG from seaweed.I don't know if they still do. Our scientist found a way to make synthetic MSG. It, like a lot of other poisons, doesn't always "get" everyone (that they know of). Some can't handle it from the beginning. Sometimes it is a very, very slow poisoning process.
  14. woofmom

woofmom New Member

If you feel like investigating MSG, go to the Truth in Labeling website or read what Russell Blaylock MD says about it. I agree it's not the only problem. But, MSG and Aspartame tried to do me in. I now have MCS. My liver was so busy trying to expel those two poisons that it let other poisons stay in me. I am very slowly getting better. A year ago MSG and/or Aspartame caused a very large blood clot to form over my left eye. I had unbearable headaches. My BP shot up and down, etc. Thank God for the internet. I found out what was killing me.
  15. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

For the post and your thoughts about MSG. I am inclined to think that MSG is bad for anyone and it should be avoided if possible. I realize that MSG is just one of many problems that we must put up with but everyone on this board is very ill and we need all the help we can get.We just have to work together and do a lot of research. We must not forget to remember all of us in prayer also.
    Hugs Shirley
  16. fmransom

fmransom New Member

and all for such good info. on MSG . A very good topic.

Who knows what we're eating these days ??
  17. OptimusUndead

OptimusUndead Member

i just deleted what i typed, because i dont want to deter people from researching it themselves.

thanks for the info.
  18. lookingoutthewindow

lookingoutthewindow New Member

Thanks to all for the info and leads. I discovered years ago that I had a sensitivity to MSG. I did not have a clue until now where else it hid besides Chinese food and lettuce on the salad bar.

Off to research!!!