This is BIZARRE!! How do you explain this one?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by marcus1243, Dec 5, 2002.

1. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

Okay, I've tested this one time and time again and I'm definitely not mistaken, all in my head, ok? When I go to bed at a reasonable hour and get a full night's sleep, I feel awful in the morning (stiff, achy) and have many neurological symptoms like tingling, burning and urinary frequency during the day. Now if I stay up until 2-3am and play computer games (very fast online shooting games, lots of explosions, flashing lights, needs rapid reflexes), I feel MUCH better the next day, don't have anything like the same tingling/burning, and bladder is normal again. I've tested this time and time again with the same results.
    Is there *any* rational explanation for this? Is the videogaming 'anaesthetizing' or calming my nervous system do you think? I would think that videogaming would excite it..?
    Just to add to the confusion, I had my very first attack of FM (severe dizziness and headaches, followed by severe neck pain) immediately after completing a mammoth online gaming session. Makes me wonder..!
    Marcus
    (not a gaming geek, honestly!)
  2. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

Okay, I've tested this one time and time again and I'm definitely not mistaken, all in my head, ok? When I go to bed at a reasonable hour and get a full night's sleep, I feel awful in the morning (stiff, achy) and have many neurological symptoms like tingling, burning and urinary frequency during the day. Now if I stay up until 2-3am and play computer games (very fast online shooting games, lots of explosions, flashing lights, needs rapid reflexes), I feel MUCH better the next day, don't have anything like the same tingling/burning, and bladder is normal again. I've tested this time and time again with the same results.
    Is there *any* rational explanation for this? Is the videogaming 'anaesthetizing' or calming my nervous system do you think? I would think that videogaming would excite it..?
    Just to add to the confusion, I had my very first attack of FM (severe dizziness and headaches, followed by severe neck pain) immediately after completing a mammoth online gaming session. Makes me wonder..!
    Marcus
    (not a gaming geek, honestly!)
  3. JP

JP New Member

Hello Marcus,

I know this one. I call it healthy distraction. I am not able to stay in bed for very long due to increasing symptoms. I do much better if I stay up late, sleep 5-6ish hours and start my day. It I stay in bed longer, the morning pain exceeds my average pain. I would love to sleep longer and the cost is too much.

Have fun gaming...JP
  4. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

So it's just a sleep related thing, huh? Damn, and here's me thinking I was gonna set myself some intensive all-night gaming therapy to cure myself. Oh well.
    Reassuring to know someone else feels the same though -- thanks for letting me know!
    -Marcus
  5. JP

JP New Member

Marcus...maybe a bunch of us can participate in experiential research and test your theory (lol). I am at a loss for answers or theories. Don't give up the late night gaming if it helps. Help is a good thing...

Have a nice day and weekend Marcus...jan
  6. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I am thinking that what is happening makes sense because you are funneling all the excess adrenaline somehwere?????

I am still trying to figure out this adrenaline thing but it seems to me like when I get the major adrenaline rushing going it hurts more afterwards, like at night when my son can get my adrenaline going.............I have a really hard time letting it go. Sensory overload kicks in and all that adrenaline just stays in the body, permeating the muscles??? Stress is a trigger we know so not sure if my theory is correct but sounds good to me.

Keep us posted!

Jaci
  7. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Maybe because the video games are inducing excess stimulation of neurological system, the following day, the system is sluggish, (neurons not firing, or not firing as well.) Thus the lessening of neurological symptoms (tingling/burning, overactive bladder).

You mentioned dizziness, headache, and neck pain after "mammoth" gaming sessions----all that neuro-activity could produce dizziness and headache. Sitting in front of a computer for hours, definitely can be a culprit in neck pain.

My guess is you burn out the neuro system with the gaming...so next day--it operates sluggishly.

Karen
  8. 2BPainfree

2BPainfree New Member

Just this AM I noticed, since I had way less sleep (about 5 hours) I feel achey but have more energy to accomplish things!

The day before that I had about 7 hours of awful sleep and felt horrible, depressed, low energy all day.

I have been wondering the same thing....however my theory is because our body is forced to preform on less sleep we excrete more adrenaline thereby creating more energy. I think this is eventually a self-destructive cycle as it uses up our much needed stores of adrenaline.

Dunno.....just my thoughts

Susan
  9. klutzo

klutzo New Member

All of these guesses are excellent! We have some real rocket scientists on this Board.

I would add that sleep research shows most FMS folks have the biorhythm of a night owl, and cannot sleep early hours and feel good.
    Most of us need to be asleep from 5 am to 8 am, because that's when we get our best sleep, while "normals" get their best sleep between 10 and 12 pm.
    When you stay up and play games, you are using up the adrenaline, as someone said, and you are sleeping the hours your body wants to sleep.
    I have the same problem, but I prefer reading to video games (I am probably a lot older than you!). For a long time I tried to make myself sleep from 10 pm to 6 am like my husband and I felt wretched. Now I sleep from 1 am to 9 am and feel much better.
    If it works, and is not disrupting your life, why not?
    Klutzo
  10. sofy

sofy New Member

There was an article in the media some time ago that touched lightly on this subject but not exactly. It was only about sleep and not about pain. Some Dr. told why you can be hyperalert the following too few hrs of sleep. Dont remember the whole thing but do remember there were good reasons why this could happen on a one time basis but if you do it several days in a row you get in trouble. He recommended regular sleeping patterns and same amt. each night. Have you ever tried staying up late without the super mental activity to see how you feel the next day. Is it the less sleep, stimulation or both. Would be curious if you would get the same thing if you stayed up late but had soothing pleasant calming stimulation. I cant do fast mental anything so cant help in the experiment. I find the games very stressful and not the least bit fun. Keep us informed
  11. Myth

Myth New Member

Hello,
    I am possibly the worst insomniac in the world, and I on average get only 2 hours of sleep a night these days. I have noticed this phenomena of yours, but it seems to be related to the amount of sleep you are getting rather than your night time activities. When I get 2 to 4 hours of crapy sleep I wake up feeling a little sore, tired, irritated... However, say on a day off, I can sleep 8 hours of unrestful, non deep sleep and feel very slugish when I wake up, very stiff and quite sore- and this does not wear off right away- in fact I am barely conscious for the first two waking hours. When I get little sleep I get adrenaline rushes to get me going. When I get a lot of sleep it seems my body just wants more and more, and then I feel worse than usual. That could be the way it is with. Although I find it hard to imagine that no sleep is better than a lot of sleep.
  12. Shirl

Shirl New Member

You and I are on the same schedule, that is the exact same hours that I sleep well, from 1am till 9am. I tried the earlier timing too, but it did not work. If I go to sleep before 1am, I wake up at about 3am tired and cranky! I will fight with the news broadcasters if no one is around!

My deepest sleep is also from 5am till 8am, how strange, we are both on the same wavelength. If the phone rings between those hours, I am furious! I am groggy for the rest of the day.

Like you, I read instead of playing games, unless I get into a game of Scrabble. I will also watch all the Court TV untill 1am sometimes.

My husband says he does not know how I don't have nightmares with all that murder and body parts with those forensic shows! But they don't upset me, they help keep my mind occupied till I fall asleep.
    Or I will read anything from a Serial killer book/books, or have been studying about Ancient Peoples lately. (could be age here to, as I can't do those video games, too much quick activity for this gal, and the colors are too much too).

Now, before the ZMA, I would sleep about two hours without waking up. Thanks to God and Mel that I am actually sleeping those wonderful eight hours now.

Different strokes for most of us folks, but now and then we do manage to do things that work the same way!

Shalom, Shirl

[This Message was Edited on 12/07/2002]
  13. Stormy214

Stormy214 New Member

and you may think I'm crazy, but I have a master's degree and did my thesis on attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. I will not bore you with my rather lengthy thesis, but suffice it to say that what you describe would be quite typical of someone with ADHD. People think ADHD (or ADD) means that you can't pay attention. The opposite is true: you pay attention too much, and this directly correlates to certain neurotransmitter reponses in the brain. There are actually physiologic tests showing differences in glucose consumption in the brain, etc. We also believe that FMS and CFIDS and such are the result of similar chemical abnormalities. So no, I don't think you are crazy! I think there is definitely a correlation, but would not even begin to attempt to figure out exactly what it is, just now. Been too fibro-foggy for too long!
    Peace,
    Stormy
  14. kadywill

kadywill New Member

and I have been this way always! I sleep best from 2 or 3 a.m. to 8:30 or 9 a.m. and I feel better if I only sleep around 5 hours! Less is OK, too, but more is BAD, BAD!!! Now, I have found that lying in bed makes me much more sore and I do better being up and moving. Shirl, I am a forensic junkie and I LOVE Patricia Cornwell (and other's) books!! I would LOVE to have been a forensic examiner. I am fascinated by stories of serial killers and I just love to learn about this! My husband and I watch all of these shows whenever they're on; the problem is that the re-runs bore me silly and I've seen about all of them by now!........ Back to the point, on my days off, I would just lie in bed and try to "catch up" for all of the lost sleep and overworking during the work week, but now that I am home, I enjoy getting up early and keeping a routine. Then, when I go to bed, I have less soreness and can fall asleep a *little* easier. I have been in the bed or on the couch a lot for four days now because we've been snowbound and I can't do my usual scheduled tasks, PLUS, my husband has been home for days, too, and this interrupts EVERYTHING; SO, my pain is MUCH worse and I do better sitting here at this computer than I do lying down watching TV. I never thought I'd say that before I quit work!

Kady
  15. Wreckless

Wreckless New Member

I have been sleeping 3 1/2 - 4 hours a night for well over ten years now. The reason I do that is because it does not matter how long I sleep, I am still equally tired, and hate getting out of bed. Even if I have slept 12 hours. So I basically just stopped wasting my time. I rarely sleep more than one consective hour without waking anyway. Once I found out that I functioned exactly the same if i slept 4 hours, or 8, or 10 hours, I decided to sleep 4. Now that I found out I have fibro, it turns out that was prolly not a wise decision.
    Rudy
  16. fibolady

fibolady New Member

me too, i get my best sleep between (i guess) 4am and 8 or 9am
    i had an awful stresful event tonight with my ex, went to bed at midnight (phone woke me up at 2am, after i had turned off the answer machine and turned the ringer off, it still beeps, good lord can you believe i could hear that with my door shut and after taking 2 ambien!) anyway, i have been up all night, it is now 6 am, so i hope your theory is right, and i will feel good today!

and it would turn out, today i have some commitments that i must attend, wouldn't you know.

warmest regards, fibolady
  17. Kim

Kim New Member

I have neck-related dizziness and headaches. Working on computer makes it worse. The dizziness and headache always intensify when my neck injury is aggravated and are reduced by massage (or even taking a Valium to relax the muscles).

There was a study done recently about sleep deprivation and depression. Apparently staying awake temporarily made people diagnosed with major depression improve for several days, even dramatic improvements. Then it diminishes when they become totally exhausted. It must have something to do with brain chemical stimulation.

Best wishes, kim
  18. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I am also a born insomniac, before the Fibro hit, I would cook, clean, do crafts,talk on the phone, read an entire book a night! I don't ever remember in my life going to bed like 'normal' people do! But after I got sick, my spirit was willing, but my body could not take being up and working all night anymore. I would just lay in the bed, so exausted that my heart would be racing, I would have the shakes from sheer exaustion.

Thats how I lived for almost twenty years till Mel convinced me to try the ZMA (which I would not listen to him for almost six months around here!).

Now I sleep at least 7-8 hours without waking up, if I do wake, I go right back to sleep. I started the ZMA in Feburary this year. I hope it never backfires on me. I don't think I could survive living like a 'Nighthawk' anymore. But you know, I still have a tendency to 'want' to stay up all night! In my very soul, I wish I could be healthy and stay awake and live half way backwards again!

As for a husband home, mine is home for a month(24/7), my whole world is upside down. He is usually here for a week or two at a time, then back to his off-shore job, but they owe him this time.

He is bored, and decided to clean the upstairs carpets, oh Lord, do I have a sinus attack! I am allergic to chemicals, we even put the attic fan on (its in the 40's and 20's degree weather here!), it helped, but I am still stuffed up. I threathened his life if he trys to clean the downstairs carpets, I rather have dirty carpets than be this miserable with the odors (I used to be a perfectionist, but have learned to live otherwise).

I have two of Patricia Cornwell's books, but have not got to them yet, have been reading 'John Douglas', 'Ann Rule' and Kessler, etc. I am also fasinated with the Forensic Science, would loved to have been a profiler (pipe dream). Watch all the shows too, I don't mind the reruns, I catch what I missed when I am foggy. I love 'I Detective', it makes you use you brain.

I just went over my original post here, I noticed all the pm's I used for am's, talk about fog or just plain confusion with this man home so much!

Shalom, Shirl

19. 2BPainfree

2BPainfree New Member

I would love to read that article if you know where I can find it! (Sleep deprivation & depression)

Thanks,
    Susan B....
  20. marcus1243

marcus1243 New Member

And a lot of intriguing theories. The only thing I would like to add as further observation is that firstly, I've discovered that I can't follow this 'therapy' day after day because after a while I just burn out and become too tired during the day (and when that happens, *everything* becomes worse). The other thing is that, as some of you noted, I think the key lies rather in the volume and quality of sleep rather than the activity that precipitated it. I've found that I've obtained similar results when I've stayed up until 4-5am doing decorating or something else which fully engages my attention. Seems like us Fibromites need sleep but that if we get too much on too regular a basis, it can do just as much damage as having none! I'll keep investigating though!
    --Marcus