This is for Klutzo

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Pinky, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Pinky

Pinky New Member

I live in Plant City, not more than 30 minutes from Tampa. My son lives in Clearwater and my daughter in Orlando so I am in both areas often. I have both FM and CFS, been diagnosed alittle over 2 years ago but suffering for more than 10! Do you know of a support group in the area? I am currently seeing Dr. Elizabeth Zable off of Dale Mabry in Tampa, she is a rheumatologist. I waited for over a year to get an appointment with her and now I am not too sure if she is the doctor for me. I was excited to be able to see her at first because I finally found someone who treated FM & CFS and she spends alot of time with you but I am not fully convinced she she can help ME! Any info on medical care and/or support in these areas would be GREAT! Thanx!
    Debbie
  2. Pinky

Pinky New Member

I live in Plant City, not more than 30 minutes from Tampa. My son lives in Clearwater and my daughter in Orlando so I am in both areas often. I have both FM and CFS, been diagnosed alittle over 2 years ago but suffering for more than 10! Do you know of a support group in the area? I am currently seeing Dr. Elizabeth Zable off of Dale Mabry in Tampa, she is a rheumatologist. I waited for over a year to get an appointment with her and now I am not too sure if she is the doctor for me. I was excited to be able to see her at first because I finally found someone who treated FM & CFS and she spends alot of time with you but I am not fully convinced she she can help ME! Any info on medical care and/or support in these areas would be GREAT! Thanx!
    Debbie
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I'm not familiar with support groups in Plant City at all. Look in your phone book and call the Arthritis Foundation and ask them. They often sponsor groups. Do you get the FM Network Newsletter? They have an extensive list of support groups and a very extensive good doctor list also. They don't sell anything except the newsletter, so I think I can put their phone number here though I know I can't list their website...that you can find by using a search engine. Phone 1-800-853-2929. I have an old listing for a support group in ZephryHills...is that close to you? If so, call Jane Schneider at 782-5623. I have a Lakeland listing for Elizabeth Sheetz at 646-4722. I have a group for all Rheumatic illnesses in Tampa...call Donna Cotten at 962-1536. These listings have not been updated for five yrs. since I quit running my group, but maybe if you reach any of these ladies they will know what is going on in your area now and who is running a group, even if they no longer are.
    As for Doctors, expecting them to do much for you is asking to be disappointed. Sorry to be blunt, but they don't know the cause so they don't know how to treat it and they no longer have time to deal with complicated folks like us,thanks to the HMO's which are now running everything. Allopathic docs have two things they do: surgery and drugs. That's it. You really have to do most of it for yourself at this point. I know you don't want to hear that...neither did I when I came down with this horror 17 yrs. ago. If the doc you have listens to you and is willing to try some of the protocols you read about as you do research here and elsewhere, (like Dr. Cheney's or Dr. Teitlebaum's)that is the best you can hope for,and a lot more than most will do. Mine will listen, but is so conservative he cannot be bothered to try anything unproven, and he is the best in Pinellas County. I don't know any in Tampa, but if you came to Pinellas, I would recommend : 1) Michele Spuza-Milord, M.D. in St. Pete, 2) Leslie Goodman, M.D. in NE Clearwater, or my doctor 3) Robert Levin, M.D. in Dunedin. All the Rheumy's are getting pressure from the HMO's to get rid of their FMS patients and make them go to Primary Care docs, so you may want to go that route, if you can find a good one with an open mind instead. There are some Rheumy's over here whose minds are closed, locked and the locks have rusted! I am going to list them so you do not go through the toxic horror of encountering them in your quest. In order of how bad they are: 1) Dr. Wilkes, 2) Dr. Wassen, 3) Dr. Di Giovanni, 4) Dr. Lowenstein. Dr.'s Frasier, Seba, Torres, and Rosen are not as bad as these, but are basically sick and tired of us. Sad, isn't it? Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Best wishes,
    Klutzo