This is interesting new guidelines widening SSDI criteria

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by daylight, Jan 20, 2009.

1. daylight

daylight New Member

I just read this on another site and thought I'd share the info.
    Significant Changes in ADA Law Further Protect the Disabled
    Effective Jan. 1, new provisions of the American with Disability Act (ADA) took effect that in some circumstances offer further protections for the disabled.

The Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) of 2008 includes a wider group of people who are protected under the law. This legislation overturns several Supreme Court cases that interpreted the law more narrowly. People now are deemed disabled on the basis of their underlying medical condition, not the treatment they are pursuing.

For example, that means that if someone’s multiple sclerosis, epilepsy or diabetes is in remission with medication, that person is still disabled. If a person can do their job but only if they remain on medication, they are still disabled.

Also, the list of activities that qualify a person to establish that he or she has a mental or physical impairment that substantially affects a major life activity has been expanded. Tasks now such as concentrating, thinking, communicating, working, bending, lifting, standing, reading, performing manual tasks and caring for one’s self are now included. Major life activities also now include major bodily functions such as “functions of the immune system, normal cell growth, digestive, bladder, neurological, brain, respiratory, circulatory, endocrine, and reproductive functions.”

Although Congress strengthened the new law in part for returning disabled war veterans, others will benefit from the new protections.

Posted by Clifford Law Offices at 01/09/2009 | Permalink

2. daylight

daylight New Member

3. quanked

quanked Member

thanks for taking the time to post this.
  4. buttercakes

buttercakes New Member

Good news, I was just awarded benefits last week, they are going to review my case every 5-7 years, does this mean it will be easier to keep my benefits?? I sure hope so, thanks for posting this info. Sandie
  5. daylight

daylight New Member

I does look like our benefits will remain the same. As long as your doctors continue to say that
    you are unable to work, and SS doesn't catch you on a video camera doing something that suggests you may be a able to work then your ok. No worries.
    This is a very good thing. =)
  6. buttercakes

buttercakes New Member

Thanks for the info., Does SS actually follow us around with a video camara???
  7. daylight

daylight New Member

It's a random thing to catch people who are using the system . Unless someone report you as being a fraud ( somebody who has an ax to grind) . I wouldn't worry about this happening to you it is really rare .
  8. daylight

daylight New Member

Those who Can work don't need SSDI . The ADA is an advocate for people with disabilities so they work closely with Social Security disability to make sure that people with disability (that can't work) are able to get all that they are entitled to by law. Of course they also do the other things you mentioned . In this case they had the criteria for meeting the SSDI guidelines broadened so now people with "invisible illness" can be approved easier.
    This shows the Social Security is listening to our cry's . People with chronic pain and fatigue,arthritis are being heard . It's a wonderful thing that the ADA has done to help us.