This is the difference between CFS, ME and FMS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sean, Sep 27, 2002.

1. sean

sean New Member

These, are the same thing they are just different names: In the U.K it is commonly refered to as Myalgic encephalomyelitis (M.E), it has also been called post viral fatigue syndrome (P.V.F.S), as well as yuppie flu. In the U.S.A it is refered to as Chronic fatigue syndrome (C.F.S), It has also been refered to as tapanui flu, and I'm sure there have been other names for it, but M.E and C.F.S are the most common names used to describe this condition. These are some of the conditions that have been refered to as sister illnesses, meaning they are closely related: Multiple chemical sensitivities, (M.C.S), Gulf war syndrome (G.W.S), Myofascial pain syndrome (M.P.S), and Fibromyalgia. There are also many other similar types of condition which I havent mentioned. The jury seems to be out on the question of whether C.F.S is the same as Fibromyalgia, but certain doctors it would appear, believe that Fibromyalgia is a form of C.F.S. So who knows maybe, just maybe, M.C.S, G.W.S, M.P.S, as well as certain other simmilar conditions I haven't mentioned, are all just variations of C.F.S. It's all a bit confusing really isn't it. At the end of the day, it is blatantly obvious that they are all immuno type conditions, which have in some cases very strong similarities.
  2. sean

sean New Member

These, are the same thing they are just different names: In the U.K it is commonly refered to as Myalgic encephalomyelitis (M.E), it has also been called post viral fatigue syndrome (P.V.F.S), as well as yuppie flu. In the U.S.A it is refered to as Chronic fatigue syndrome (C.F.S), It has also been refered to as tapanui flu, and I'm sure there have been other names for it, but M.E and C.F.S are the most common names used to describe this condition. These are some of the conditions that have been refered to as sister illnesses, meaning they are closely related: Multiple chemical sensitivities, (M.C.S), Gulf war syndrome (G.W.S), Myofascial pain syndrome (M.P.S), and Fibromyalgia. There are also many other similar types of condition which I havent mentioned. The jury seems to be out on the question of whether C.F.S is the same as Fibromyalgia, but certain doctors it would appear, believe that Fibromyalgia is a form of C.F.S. So who knows maybe, just maybe, M.C.S, G.W.S, M.P.S, as well as certain other simmilar conditions I haven't mentioned, are all just variations of C.F.S. It's all a bit confusing really isn't it. At the end of the day, it is blatantly obvious that they are all immuno type conditions, which have in some cases very strong similarities.
  3. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

CFS, or ME. It is different from FM,in the way that CFS causes more fatigue, its the primary symptom. Then FM, pain is the primary symptom.

4. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

Is a neuromuscular disease. Although it can accompany FM, it is not a variation of it. It is a result of damage to the muscles.

Please see: www.sover.net/~devstar/

Hope this helps
  5. sean

sean New Member

There are so many conflicting reports, as you will all know these type of illnesses, are refered to with many names including hypochondria, and neurosis. Does that not tell you that there is little known about them. What one doctor calls FMS, another will call hypochondria, depends what he believes. When I say doctors I don't just mean general doctors, Rheumatologists may disagree with each other.If you read enough articles on FMS you will become more confused, I also have PVNS, yet another example of a disease that is little understood, many reputable scientists each with his or her own view. So just what info should you take notice of and which should you ignore. How many times have scientific researchers spent thousands of pounds on research into health products to come up with the theory it is really good for us. EXAMPLE: vitamins, they are good for us. "wait a minute latest research tells us they may actually be bad for us." Confused? well I bl**dy well am. There are so many examples of these continous contridictions. If we believed everything we wouldnt dare breathe. So unless something is absolutely clear, I take it with a pinch of salt. In the U.K, M.E is not taken seriously by a lot of Doctors, and they are more inclined to believe you are suffering from hypochondria. I more and more believe, there is a simple answer to these illnesses, whatever the original cause is irrelevant, because the way you feel is most likely due to the fact that your immune system has become so run down and disturbed, it is causing all these strange symptoms, and not that you have some strange virus or mycoplasm, lerking in your body, the fact that some people have candida is really quite simple, it thrives when your immune system is down. All these theories about these FMS type illnesses only serve to slow down the chance of finding a cure, which should be focused on repairing the immune system, and not on trying to find some mysterious underlying bug for want of a better word.
  6. Thella

Thella New Member

Regardless of the reports.
    I have lived with fibro pain for over 40 years. I even learned to ignore it.
    Then I was hit with chronic fatigue a little over 20 years ago. That is the knock out punch.
    They are very definetly different diseases.
    Thella
  7. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

Yes there is little known about them. But I also believe the ongoing research into the different syndromes, like FM, and CFS--its going good.

Public Awareness is helpiing, people are becoming more aware that it is a illness, and valid. Of course there are the ones who still dont believe.

I have read stories that just only 10 yrs ago, people with these syndromes couldnt get any help at all. They suffered.

I get confused some when Chronic Fatigue is referred to as ME. Maybe its because of different countries that we live in?

Here where I live, Ohio, the States. FM is referred to as Fibromyalgia Syndrome. CFS-is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

I agree that these syndromes are caused in part by immune systems being worn down. But then what about the cases of people coming down with it after a trauma? Car accidents, emotional stress? Sleeping disorders also have a factor, along with many other things.

I think scientists, researchers have a long way to go. Yet there has been advances with it all. For now though, we all just have to deal with it, cope with it, find ways to carry on a life that has some quality in it. And each in their own individual way. There is no real "one" plan to treat it.

Sunshyne

8. sean

sean New Member

The what about other cases, you mention, I would have to strongly disagree with. A trauma will to some extent affect your immune system, as will car accidents, emotional stress, and sleeping disorders. All these things we can put under one simple word, and that is stress. Stress is a significant factor in the capability of the immune system to funtion to it's full capacity. Why do I think it is probable, that certain conditions like CFS and FMS are likely the same thing? Well yes of cause I know they appear to have some differences, but as I previously said whatever the orignal cause, The fact that the immune system is severly depressed, is on it's own an explanation for different symptoms at different times in different parts of the body. If you push yourself too much when your immune system is really low, or you do something, or take something, or eat something, or come into contact with something that acts as a trigger,then you wil experience a flare up of symptoms, and how they manifest within an individual, will vary. It's human nature for someone who is suffering from a devastating illness, to look for a cause, and to wan't a diagnoses. The immune system is a complex system that is well capably of going faulty and creating problems. It can for instance over react to a virus, thus if it continues to attack something that is no longer there (a virus could attach itself, and disguise itselfs within normal healthy cells) then in affect the immune sytem will be attacking healthy cells. There is one theory that I may be inclined to agree with, for which I will be posting an article on, and that is Rnase-L enzyme disfunction disease in relation to FMS.
  9. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

Maybe its all caused by todays society and the way we now live?

The processed food, the increased stress of everyday living, the pollution, the everything thats so wrong about todays world.

But then Fibro has been around since when?

So there goes that theory. Or maybe now there are more and more cases of Fibro and CFS now, because of the way the world is now.

I guess I am at a point in my life, I no longer look for the cause. Life is too short. I look for ways to improve my quality of life, and therefore enjoy it more. At times I do read the newest research, but its way out of my league. With the scientific words, and the way its represented, it bores me and confuses me. Let alone the cost of treatments, without health insurance.

I hear from alot of people,that they are sort of glad they got it, FM or CFS. That its caused them to slow down, eat healthier, examine oneself and values. Grow spiritually. It has me. I am a different person since becoming so sick. I dont worry myself over things that are trivial. I take better care of myself. I am happier.

How about you?